Fantastical Moments: Sailing the Fantasy Western Caribbean 10/25 – 11/1/2014!!!!

You are my photography hero! I love all the creative angles to see something differently. I've been following your photos on the DIS for quite some time and have enjoyed them. Thank you for your inspiration.

Thanks a lot!!! I'm glad i can be an inspiration. :)

The photos are simply stunning, great clarity and excellent use of DOF.

We are booked on our first DCL cruise for January- 7 Night Carribean cruise. It will be my DW, DS (10 yrs) and DD (18 months). We will then be taking the Baltic cruise in July as well

Having just recently started in the photography hobby, I have taken several online courses in preparation for our upcoming cruises. I am pretty comfortable with my equipment - Nikon D5300, Nikkor 18-140 mm kit lens, and Nikkor 35 mm/f1.8 Prime. The later gives me good low light capability and sharp photos. I mainly shot in either aperture priority or manual mode.

However, when researching about photography on cruises, most people say not to bother. as there are To many variables to consider (ship movement. Interior lighting, etc). You have proven that theory wrong. Other than your lens listed above do you bring any other equipment? Tripod? filters?

Any other suggestions or thoughts regarding cruise photography are welcome. Keep up the great work Thanks! Erik

The photos are simply stunning, great clarity and excellent use of DOF. We are booked on our first DCL cruise for January- 7 Night Carribean cruise. It will be my DW, DS (10 yrs) and DD (18 months). We will then be taking the Baltic cruise in July as well Having just recently started in the photography hobby, I have taken several online courses in preparation for our upcoming cruises. I am pretty comfortable with my equipment - Nikon D5300, Nikkor 18-140 mm kit lens, and Nikkor 35 mm/f1.8 Prime. The later gives me good low light capability and sharp photos. I mainly shot in either aperture priority or manual mode. However, when researching about photography on cruises, most people say not to bother. as there are To many variables to consider (ship movement. Interior lighting, etc). You have proven that theory wrong. Other than your lens listed above do you bring any other equipment? Tripod? filters? Any other suggestions or thoughts regarding cruise photography are welcome. Keep up the great work Thanks! Erik

I really don't see cruise ship photography as a problem at all. The conditions are the same as you'd experience on land. Interior-wise, it's kind of easier than other situations, because you have all the windows providing extra light. And I've never felt ship movement to be an issue. The ships are very steady (just speaking of the Disney ones anyway). The only thing that can be a problem is when you're outside and it's windy. But that isn't all the time. So don't worry about a thing.

I do have a tripod that i take along. But it's for the night shots; or when I want to get really crisp indoor pics. Not because the ship is making everything unsteady.

I really don't see cruise ship photography as a problem at all. The conditions are the same as you'd experience on land. Interior-wise, it's kind of easier than other situations, because you have all the windows providing extra light. And I've never felt ship movement to be an issue. The ships are very steady (just speaking of the Disney ones anyway). The only thing that can be a problem is when you're outside and it's windy. But that isn't all the time. So don't worry about a thing.

I do have a tripod that i take along. But it's for the night shots; or when I want to get really crisp indoor pics. Not because the ship is making everything unsteady.

Great thanks for the feedback. I looked through the Flickr account and it was good to see the EXIF data, and interesting it seems the Sigma 10-20 mm Lens is pretty popular for most of your work I am going to be looking a bit deeper for a Wide Angle Lens before the trip.

Do you use a Flash at all for the night shots? This is one area in which I have no experience and doubt I will have any before the cruise, but I do like the idea of exploring topside at night to get some nice shots.

Great thanks for the feedback. I looked through the Flickr account and it was good to see the EXIF data, and interesting it seems the Sigma 10-20 mm Lens is pretty popular for most of your work I am going to be looking a bit deeper for a Wide Angle Lens before the trip.

Do you use a Flash at all for the night shots? This is one area in which I have no experience and doubt I will have any before the cruise, but I do like the idea of exploring topside at night to get some nice shots.

To be more accurate; it's actually the Canon 10-22. I've seen great things about the Sigma version though, if that's what you're looking at yourself. But I really enjoy using a UWA; especially with the way I usually shoot, by trying to get right up on things.

And the only time I ever use a flash is when I'm taking family related pictures. I like keeping things in their natural light; even if there's not much there in the first place. I've also never really tried using it for night shots either. But that's just my personal preference. I'm sure that others out there use a flash quite successfully with their nighttime photos though.

Day 3: Calling From Cozumel?

(Clickable… Takes you to my Flickr page)
Take It All In by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

This morning, I would catch my first sunrise for this trip. But things didn’t start out too smoothly for me though. The night before, during the Aladdin showing, our cruise director told everyone in there to make sure that they were on the ship’s time when figuring when to be back on the ship. Because we would be entering a different Time Zone, your proper clock settings should be turned back an hour. But for whatever reason, the ship’s time would not change. So, while the “All aboard” time for the ship was 3:45; your proper Mexico set time would still say 2:45. I’m also pretty reliant on that little “Turn back the clock” note that you get during your stateroom’s turndown service. But since we didn’t get one the previous night, I had no idea what to think (the front of the Navigator said to do that though. But again, I’ve been reliant on that little note card.). So a perfect storm of faults here. Even then, I knew that I’d still be confused about if the Navigator’s times would be Mexico time or the “ship’s time”. …..They were Mexico’s time. Needless to say, I found this out when I woke up an hour early to catch the sunrise.

So after grabbing a little more rest, I eventually made it out an hour later. Because the sunrise was on the port side of the ship, I decided to do a little something different. To make the sunrise pics a little more interesting, I try to throw in some foreground elements. When it’s just basically sky and water in the shot, it doesn’t give any sense of where you were when you witnessed that beautiful scene. So for instance, getting the front of the ship in the shot can go a long way in telling the story of your experience. And because I’ve seen other do it; and because I know how nicely it can be lit; I did my main shooting on Deck 4. Did I get a couple of shots of just the sky and water??? Of course I did!!!! But the pictures that really did it for me had the railings, seating, life rings, shuffleboard courts, and people incorporated in them.

(Clickable)
Mexican Sunrise by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_5971 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

After my Deck 4 adventures, I made my way to the upper levels, to take even more advantage of this beautiful golden light. The sunrise/sunset hours are just the best for photography. Nice lighting goes a long way into giving life to a picture.

IMG_5981 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_5991 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

So with this morning’s time understanding mishap; I was hoping that wasn’t a sign for more craziness to come. …I would be wrong. One thing I was very much looking forward to doing this trip, was the Art of the Theme tour. So the previous night, I inquired on if I needed to pre-book (the Navigator said to do this… but it wasn’t needed), and what time the tour would be held. They didn’t officially look; but said that it was probably 9:30; because I believe that’s what time it was held on Day 2. Well, this would be another example of a perfect storm of faults. I looked in the Navigator to see what was being held at 9:30. I didn’t see the tour listed; but thought that there was just something I was missing out on. And because of Guest Services’ answer to me, I didn’t even look to see if the tour was actually being held at another time. So right after my solo photowalk; I ate a quick breakfast by myself, then headed to Meridian at 9:30. And needless to say; there was no tour. I eventually pulled out my phone, and opened up the Disney Cruise Line App (I know I haven’t mentioned the App before; but I absolutely loved it!!! It was great to have that great resource on you all the time.); but anyway, I saw that the tour would be at 4:30. Again, faults all around.

IMG_6029 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

After my 2nd disappointing moment of the day; I was able to catch my wife and daughter before they headed out to breakfast. And I guess I should mention that we would be in Cozumel today!!!!! We didn’t have any excursions planned though. So we (mainly I) decided that we should at least walk around a bit. My wife would’ve been totally fine with staying on the ship the whole time. But I liked having the change of scenery. I also like exploring the locations we’re able to visit; even if it’s just for a very short while. And heck, it’s another opportunity to take some unique pics!!!! ;)

Some parts of our little walk were pretty interesting… kind of. Not really with what we saw though. I did get pretty annoyed with all of the “salespeople” outside of almost every store, begging you to go in there. I knew that was gonna happen. But for some reason, I don’t remember it being as bad the last time we were in Cozumel. I’m sure it probably was; but I probably just blocked that part from my memory some. So walking through the main shopping area (which couldn’t be avoided) wasn’t all that great. But I was looking forward to heading down the road some, to a plaza that had shops, some eating, and outdoor vendors. It was a little scenic square; and you could escape at least some of the hassling. As luck would have it though, it was under a complete renovation. So instead of going any further, we chose to head back to the ship.

IMG_6033 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Actually went in one of the stores that we weren’t begged to enter. And of course we had to get our DD a little souvenir.
IMG_6040 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Basically the extent of our walk……..
IMG_6048 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

If there was anything that my wife wanted to actually do in Mexico, it was to finally give her parents a call. She usually speaks to them every single day. So the hunt was now on for the mythical phone cards!!! And for anyone else looking to do the same thing in Mexico; you might be hard-pressed on having any luck. We searched in many stores along the way back…. Our DD kept getting freaked out by all of the “living statues” around (she eventually warmed up to a pirate guy though)… and I was even ready for our little tour to end. We finally found one place that had them; but their payphone wasn’t working. So disappointment for everyone this day!!!!!

She was terribly afraid of him at first. But after we had to pass him again on our phone card hunt, she warmed up. It helped that he was SUPER nice. He was working for a jewelry store on the lower level though. They know how to reel you in!!!
IMG_6059 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Last edited:

After we got back aboard the ship, we headed to Cabanas for lunch. I was hoping they would have a Mexican themed layout (like a few years ago); but that didn’t happen. They might’ve had like 1, maybe 2 dishes that seemed related to the destination. If fact, that Mexico themed lunch from the past, was one of the standout meals for me.

So after lunch, we headed back to the room. My DD and DW took a nap, while I went out to get some shots of the unique views. There was a Norwegian Cruise Line ship decked next to us. So that was fun to try and capture. There wasn’t much activity happening on its upper level (and we had a clear view of it); so there’d be no major people watching. I don’t know what they’d be doing that’s super unique; but it’s sometimes fun to do. We’re all a bit nosy once in a while. ;)

(Clickable)
Cozumel Coastline by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

I got it all in!!!!
IMG_6100 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr
IMG_6130 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6110 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Soon, we had to get ready for dinner at Royal Court. But after dinner tonight, we wouldn’t be attending the main show. Tonight would be the performance by Buckets ‘N’ Boards. Seeing them during our last cruise was more than enough for us. I remember that our daughter enjoyed them; mainly for the drumming. But the humor was way too much on the corny side. So yes, they are definitely family-friendly. But still, not really our cup of tea.

The only activity we saw that we wanted to check out, was a Halloween arts and crafts event in D-Lounge. It was nice to do a laid-back activity this time at night; especially when it concerns the little ones. You were able to color, make bookmarks (I think), make a Dracula Mickey Mouse candy box, and a couple of other things… and they also gave out candy at the end!!! But the nicest thing that came out of it was that we made friends!!! It was mainly our DD instantly connecting with another little girl around her age (they were at the table next to us). And we also would enjoy our time with the mom, and her mom and sister as well (it was the 4 of them on the cruise). It was cool that we had someone to bond with during the trip. Sure, my wife was doing way more bonding than quiet ol’ me; but it was fun seeing the girls act like they’ve been friends forever. Throughout the trip, we would always see them wherever we went too. And we exchanged information as well. So we might try and see them when we travel to New York in April. You never know how and when you’ll meet someone that you could become friends with. It’s crazy.

Saw Chip ‘n’ Dale, and Peter Pan, before dinner started…..
IMG_6156 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

While standing in line, the photography geek in me couldn’t resist taking a picture of one of the flash setups. This is how the tree gets nicely lit for their photographers. ;)
IMG_6148 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6163 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Last edited:

IMG_6166 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

After my wife and daughter turned-in for the night, I was back out again taking pictures. This night, I would be taking my tripod along. I mentally noted a couple of shots I wanted to get; but other than that, I had no plan. Although I’m pretty happy with what I got; I kind of felt that I should’ve shot and explored more (like trying to get the atrium from different floors). I don’t know why I didn’t though. And after seeing other people’s pictures after the cruise, there were a few “why didn’t I do that” moments. Oh well. Here’s to being more productive the next time!!!

(Clickable)
Happy Haunts: The Pumpkin Tree by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6209 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6177 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

(Clickable)
The Extent Of It by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Last edited:
Looking forward to future installments of your trip report and especially love the pictures. My DD and I will be sailing on the Fantasy on the same itinerary in Oct. 2015 and although we sailed on the Fantasy in Oct. 2013, Jamaica will be a first for us this time.

Looking forward to future installments of your trip report and especially love the pictures. My DD and I will be sailing on the Fantasy on the same itinerary in Oct. 2015 and although we sailed on the Fantasy in Oct. 2013, Jamaica will be a first for us this time.

The Holidays, and other things have kept me pretty busy. I didn't forget about this though.

Day 4: Fantastical Details

Today would be the day we finally get to see Grand Cayman. During our very first Disney cruise, this was one of our planned destinations. But because the waters were too rough, we weren’t able to tender; so it just turned into another Sea Day. So we were crossing our fingers that everything was ok this time around….and it almost looked a little iffy at one point.

This morning, I had planned to see another sunrise. But unfortunately, the sky was pretty cloudy; so there was hardly anything to see. And on top of that, no one was able to get to the very front of Satellite Falls, because the winds were too high up there. I can only imagine how band it would feel if you were in that prime front viewing spot. I’ve been up there when it was REALLY windy. But for them to put a sign up, it must’ve been pretty bad.

IMG_6247 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

The morning activities weren’t a total wash for me though. Because I was able to do the Art of the Theme Tour!!!!!! And true to form, it did not disappoint. The tour started at 9:30; and the meeting point was Meridian. *** Note: I’m about to give details on some of the things that were mentioned during the tour. So if you plan on doing it, and want to be totally surprised, you might want to skip past this update. *** Other than that, let’s enjoy the details!!!! We didn’t immediately start heading out and walking the ship though. Our tour guide, Keith, started by giving us a little background on himself (way back when, he started off at Disney doing parades in the Magic Kingdom); and also a little history on the cruise line itself. And because pretty much everything on the ship tells some type of story, or has clever detailing; he told of us things to look for in that immediate area of Meridian, Palo, and Remy.

Our tour guide…
IMG_6253 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

If you’ve never been in Meridian, you should know that it has the classic feel of high class travel. There’s a bookcase of someone who would be a world traveler; and it’s also a detail to where you can kind of make your own story of what the person is like (like Keith said he likes to do). The backs of the seating along the walls are actually suitcases (or at least designed in the style of them). The wallpaper has passport stamps all over it. And there is a big compass rose on the floor, in the middle of the room. There are also some things to look for at night; but I won’t spoil that here. Plus, I’d probably mess up trying to explain it. ;)

Meridian details….
IMG_6249 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Entering Palo next door, you’ll notice a chandelier; and it actually has the name of Spaghetti and Meatballs. Looking at it, you’ll definitely see why. But it was really cool hearing a couple of things about Remy. In the movie Ratatouille, there’s a certain bottle of wine presented to the food critic. (see here for pics: Remy Dinner Review ) Disney went out and bought every bottle of that particular wine. And the only place you can get it now is at Remy. If you also remember in the movie, there’s a scene where Remy is looking over the city. And in the DCL restaurant, there’s a little Remy looking over the dining area. It’s amazing what Disney will do to gives guests a truly exclusive experience. And the creative details are just unmatched. One morning on a future cruise, I have to make a point to just go exploring in Remy. Some friends of ours just did that exact thing. So that’s on my own list now.

Part of the DCL history that Keith gave, touched on a couple of colors that have to do with the ship. I had previously heard the story of the lifeboats (from the Art of the Theme tour on the Magic). But I had never heard the story of the ship’s “black” hull. But basically, the exterior of the DCL fleet of ships have the colors of Mickey. So when it came to the lifeboats, Disney didn’t want to stay with the orange that was being used on every other lifeboat in virtual existence (because hey, Mickey doesn’t wear orange shoes). So they were able to get special testing done, to prove that the yellow lifeboats are just as visible in various circumstances as the orange ones are. So they really broke some untouched ground there. And of course, another main color to Mickey is black. But that was a no-no, because black is the international color of piracy. So the story goes that one day, one of the head guys in charge of that coloring effort was sitting around trying to think of ways to solve their dilemma. As he’s sitting there, a woman named Monica starts approaching him. He sees from a distance that her pants look black. But when she gets closer, he notices that they are actually blue. And it is from that moment that Disney starts analyzing that pant color to eventually land on their “Monica Blue”.

Wallpaper in Meridian
IMG_6840 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

See; this is why I love this tour so much. All of that information was gathered before we even left Meridian. So I knew that when we actually started getting out and about some, it would only get better. It’s also a great way to settle a lot of the “I heard about this…”, “my friend was telling me…”, “it is true…?”, moments. So just a “few” more details to touch on.

…….Oh, some pretty interesting things about the 4 “sides” of the ship; Forward, Aft, Port, and Starboard. It wasn’t mentioned on this tour; but was told on the Magic that one time. If you’ve ever noticed, all of the restaurants are in the back of the ship (the Aft). One way to remember this; is that when you eat, the food digests, then comes out your “AFT”. Neville’s words; not mine. “Port” also has the same number of letters as “Left”. And the term “posh” actually deals with Port and Starboard. Apparently, back in the day, the really rich would always want to have good views from the cruise ships; so they would book rooms on both sides. But because those nice sights were only on the one side of the ship (for sake of argument, to the North); they’d stay in the Port side staterooms when going out to sea. They stay on the Starboard side when heading back home. Hence, came the phrase “Port Out, Starboard Home”; b.k.a. “POSH”. It’s amazing how some words and terms come to fruition. I’ve recently become in love with that show America’s Secret Slang, because of that reason.

The Holidays, and other things have kept me pretty busy. I didn't forget about this though.

I realized that the Holidays most likely had a lot to do with it. Glad you are able to get back to the TR. Hope you and your family had a very Merry Christmas and that you will have a Happy and Prosperous New Year!

***** Last of the Art of the Theme Spoilers *****

So anyway, we start heading down the steps to the lower levels. And one of the things that first gets pointed out, is the art in the stairwells. In a way, everything just seems to be randomly placed. But it’s actually spectacularly done!!!!! Although you can notice what’s happening when you go down the stairs; the layout really translates when you head up the stairs. For instance, Meridian is located on Deck 12. So the art you see when going from Deck 12 to Deck 13 is a Goofy sports things. Why??? Because you’re heading up to the Goofy sports area!!!! Going from Deck 11 to Deck 12??? It’s a mural of Remy and Emile overlooking Paris!!!! There’s also an intentional layout with the art you see when traveling floor to floor with the staterooms. When you see some pictures in the stairwell depicting a certain scene from a movie or a short, that next floor you get to will have the Enchanted Art (the “pictures” you stand in front of, to get them to come to life) that is related to said scene. If there isn’t an Enchanted Art display on that next floor though, you’ll just see concept art in the stairwell. Again, just details that most people have no idea are there for a reason.

IMG_6942 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Another way to figure out where the heck you are on the ship, involves the carpet color near the elevators. All of the areas have a main color associated with them; and it’ll either be blue, green, or red. The Aft elevators mainly have the colors blue. And it’s called Cabana Blue, because that’s where Cabanas, and the other restaurants are located. Midship has Peacock Green; based on the peacock chandelier in the lobby atrium. And Forward has Crimson Red; based on the red curtains in the theatres.

So we head down a few floors, and eventually end up in Europa. As soon as we get to that floor, I see my Flickr friend Arthur walking by. He doesn’t realize I’m in the group there; but tells me how cool the bathrooms are that are right around the corner. And oddly enough; our tour guide proceeds to tell us how those Europa restrooms are the 2nd most photographed area on the ship. And if you see them, you’ll definitely know why!!!!

One of the Europa men’s restrooms (clickable)…
The Matador by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

We start our tour of Europa by entering Skyline Lounge. That is definitely one of the swankiest/coolest spots on the ship. It also has that nice storytelling type of theme to where you can venture ideas on the type of person who might stay in this kind of “room”. But that back wall with changing “live” city nightscapes HAS to be seen!!! And there is something very cool to look for when viewing the changing scenes. In all of the cities displayed, all of the people walking around are basically Star Wars characters. The only one you can really make them out in though, is when the wall switches to London. But in the right panel; if you take your attention to the upper floors of the building, you’ll notice 2 familiar figures. One of them is a main Star Wars character; Obi Wan Kenobi. And of course, the other is Mickey Mouse!!! Obi Wan is standing with his hands on his hips, just looking down below. But Mickey is actually looking towards you, welcomingly waving you in.

Sort of a Hidden Mickey….
IMG_6947 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

This isn’t gonna be the best explanation on a certain detail about that wall; but here it goes….. I forget the number of cities displayed; but there is actually one other scene that has only ever been shown once. I forget the city it is; but someone who was tops on helping build the ship had an anniversary there. And specially for them, they had a certain cityscape appear. So if someone does trivia, and asks how many scenes there are; you’ll know that there’s a special secret one in there as well.

Because Disney wanted to maintain some fluidness; we head over the The Tube, using a passageway that connects it to Skyline Lounge. And in that little passageway is another cool find. This may also be hard to explain… But if you’ve ever entered Europa from the D Lounge direction, you have probably noticed a little animation playing at the Europa entry point. Well, that animation was created using highly detailed paper cutouts. But all of the cutouts created weren’t used for that the animation. The ones that didn’t make the cut (pun kind of intended), are in that passageway.

Europa animation….
IMG_6817 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

The leftover cutouts….
IMG_6837 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

The Tube is one of those places that is packed with in your face details. It totally has the subway vibe to it… there are red phone booths along the wall… the floor is a map of the London Underground… and the ceiling lights at the center of the room make a big Union Jack (still could get overlooked though). But one little detail that has more of a hidden “meaning”, are the red stools in there. If you look at a map that has a “You are here” dot; it is quite often red. Well, those red stools are a way of also saying “You are here”.

As we are leaving The Tube, one thing that gets pointed out is the number “688”. “688” was the initial project name for when the ship was being built. In various details around the ship, that number can be seen. So what would appear to be something totally random, actually has a real story behind it.

IMG_6405 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Our last real stop for the tour would be Ooh La La. I had never even seen the inside of this room, prior to this tour. So it was nice to have an excuse to walk in there (not like you need an excuse to go pretty much anywhere on the ship). But one cool aspect of Ooh La La is the infinity mirror. The mirror is basically made of “champagne bubbles” that appear to go on forever. And a neat “hidden” detail that a lot of people might overlook, also has to do with seating. Some of the chairs in Ooh La La are designed to look like can-can skirts; to go with the French theme. Of course, you might have to turn them upside-down to really see it; but it’s a nice “ooohhh yeeaaahhh” moment.

For the most part, this concluded our tour. We made our way over to where Shutters is located; and a few more details were pointed out along the way. But again, I’d highly suggest doing this tour. Sure, I probably spoiled it for some people. But it’s cool to see the details and everything in person. I don’t have pictures of everything. And my words can only do so much. So don’t hesitate….. just do it!!!!

Ooh La La infinity mirror….
IMG_6974 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

One of the carpet details. The flags on top spell out "Disney Fantasy". And the map shows where the 4 DCL ships call Home. Also, North on the map points toward the front of the ship. So don't get lost!!!!!
IMG_6917 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Last edited:
Work has been on the slower side; so I've been able to catch up with my report writing!!!! :thumbsup2 ......................

After the Art of the Theme tour, it was now time to get ready for our Grand Cayman excursion; which was spending the day at one of the beaches. This would actually be our only planned excursion for this cruise. So we were looking forward to everything going smoothly. The beginning went on without a hitch. We met our group in the Buena Vista Theatre; and they had towels in there for everyone. And at the appropriate time, we made our way to the tender boats, to head to shore. But when we got outside, you could see the dark clouds looming in the distance. The day was looking like it might be a wash before it even began.

IMG_6256 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

As soon as we got over to the island, it started to rain a little; but luckily, it didn’t last long at all. So when we get to our tent, to meet up with the company that was in charge of the excursion; the organizers actually told people that they could get a full refund if they wanted. They knew that there was a possibility that more bad weather could come this way; so they did a nice upstanding thing there. So looking into the sky, I saw that the dark clouds were more or less going in a different direction. And I could see some clearer skies opening up a little. So we decided to just go ahead with everything. In fact, almost everyone proceeded along with the excursion. Also, we were given tickets for beach admission, a ticket to use a lounge chair, and a drink ticket as well (the offerings were Fruit Punch and Rum Punch). We then make our way to the vans, and take a drive to the beach. The ride wasn’t too long or too short; and we got to see at least see some of the island. Of course, it was mainly the tourist area. But tourism is their main moneymaker; so that can only be expected.

The tender boat was so close to the ship that I could literally reach out and touch it…..
IMG_6259 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

When we get dropped off at Tiki Beach, we are told to be ready to be picked up in 4 hours (I believe). Part of me was waiting for a further announcement that a van would be back in like 2 hours, in case you wanted to leave early. But that didn’t happen. I like a good beach, but 4 hours is quite a long time. And my wife doesn’t really care for beaches all that much; so she definitely wouldn’t want to be there for that long. The beach itself was pretty nice. It wasn’t huge or anything. But the water was VERY nice. I’m a total wimp when it comes to getting in cold water. But I absolutely loved setting foot in it here. From where we were, you could also get a nice view of the ship. The overcast skies didn’t help much when it came to getting a really pretty view; but it wasn’t too bad. And better yet, the rain stayed away from us the whole time!!!

IMG_6270 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

This is most of the beach. There’s a little more behind me, but not much……
IMG_6272 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6277 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

After about 1 ½ hours, we were kind of ready to leave. But in an attempt to make the most of our time, we decided to head over to the restaurant that was right there on the beach, to grab something to eat. Those prices though….. no way!!!! We would’ve ended up spending over $40 for lunch. And unfortunately, there was nowhere else to go. So now, we were definitely ready to head back to the ship. As we were going to inquire about how to return, another DCL family was having the same idea. There happened to be a shuttle there; but it would cost like $5 a person to take it. So seeing as there was no other option to really do anything else near the beach, we jumped at the opportunity. A couple of other families ended up catching the van back as well. During the ride back a guy behind was saying that every time they do a beach excursion somewhere, they end up paying another shuttle to take them back early. It’s good they give you a nice amount of time there. But for many, it’s probably a little too much time. At least offering a van to take people back halfway through would’ve been nice. Again, it’s not like the ride back to the ship was terribly long or anything. But oh well. We (mainly me and my DD) enjoyed our time at the beach though. Would we do it again??? I honestly couldn’t say either way.

During the tender boat ride back to the ship, I purposely sat on the left side, to get some unique shots of the ship…..

That’s the MSC Divina….
IMG_6291 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6302 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Clickable…..
A Grand View from Grand Cayman by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Last edited:

IMG_6364 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

After we got back on the ship, we went to Luigi’s just to get something in our stomachs; then took our time getting ready for dinner. Dinner tonight would be at Animator’s Palate. And special for tonight was Animation Magic!!!! This is definitely one of the coolest experiences on the cruise. Drawing a unique character, then seeing it come to life is truly amazing. Last year, for some reason, our daughter’s didn’t make it in the show. And the guidelines to drawing were followed, because we drew it for her!!! But tonight, we all had a nice showing on screen.

IMG_6312 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6315 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Our DD was glued to the screen this night…..
IMG_6323 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Tonight’s post-dinner show in the Walt Disney Theatre was ‘Wishes’. Of all the shows, this is the one that has the least interesting storyline. It’s basically about 3 kids about to graduate from high school, and just seeing how important friendships are; or something like that. It’s nice to see all of the Disney related scenes. But other than that, it’s not terribly interesting. We still make it a point to catch the show though. So obviously, it’s not THAT bad. ;)

IMG_6332 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6340 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

After the show, we stood in line to meet Stitch. And you know what; the more and more I have a run in with Stitch, the more and more my fondness for him grows. I didn’t like the whole Stitch takeover stuff at the parks; but the character himself is quite cool to meet. He also supplied me with a Fantastical Moment during Pirate Night. But a nice little surprise from our time in line here was that our DD’s little cruise friend ended up getting in line right behind us!!! So they were definitely happy about that. It also eventually led us to another activity for the night. While thinking of something for them to do together, we saw that there was a Saludos Amigos Fiesta family dance party going on in the D Lounge. Although it wasn’t something we would’ve made definite plans to do, I really enjoyed that little party. They had nice upbeat music. There was a conga line, along with some limbo. And of course, the guest of honor (Donald Duck) was nice and lively as well. So it was a good time.

As you can see, there are people of all ages….
IMG_6377 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6382 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_6389 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

After our “late night” dancing, we headed back to the room. When my wife and I got into bed, we decided to check out one of the on-demand movies. Tonight, we saw one about the Sherman brothers. I forget the name of it; but it was a nice insight into the movies they were involved in, as well as their relationship with each other. Another movie we had seen another night on the cruise, was “Waking Sleeping Beauty”. I had heard great things about that documentary, some time ago. So I was glad that I finally had the chance to check it out. I would highly suggest giving that movie a look. It’s basically about the resurgence of Disney’s animated movies. They talked about how Walt wanted to go live-action for a while (i.e. with Mary Poppins); and Disney’s animation department sort of suffering for a while. But later on, there started to be an uptick in good animated movies that Disney was putting out. That is something that any Disney fan can appreciate. So seeing the work and thought process behind everything was really cool. Even if you don’t watch in on the cruise, I’d definitely suggest getting it at home somehow.

One last little detail tidbit….. Taking a look at this carpet that runs from Europa to Shutters, you’ll notice some changes in the patterns. At the Europa end, you see the stars (as seen here); then when it gets to the family themed D Lounge, it changes to streamers (like you’ll see getting shot off after the family shows…. Pretty cool connection, huh?). And the last little section of the carpet features a pixelated pattern; like digital pixels!!!!

IMG_6395 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Last edited:
When we get dropped off at Tiki Beach, we are told to be ready to be picked up in 4 hours (I believe). Part of me was waiting for a further announcement that a van would be back in like 2 hours, in case you wanted to leave early. But that didn’t happen. I like a good beach, but 4 hours is quite a long time. And my wife doesn’t really care for beaches all that much; so she definitely wouldn’t want to be there for that long. The beach itself was pretty nice. It wasn’t huge or anything. But the water was VERY nice. I’m a total wimp when it comes to getting in cold water. But I absolutely loved setting foot in it here. From where we were, you could also get a nice view of the ship. The overcast skies didn’t help much when it came to getting a really pretty view; but it wasn’t too bad. And better yet, the rain stayed away from us the whole time!!!

IMG_6270 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

This is most of the beach. There’s a little more behind me, but not much……
IMG_6272 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

After about 1 ½ hours, we were kind of ready to leave. But in an attempt to make the most of our time, we decided to head over to the restaurant that was right there on the beach, to grab something to eat. Those prices though….. no way!!!! We would’ve ended up spending over $40 for lunch. And unfortunately, there was nowhere else to go. So now, we were definitely ready to head back to the ship. As we were going to inquire about how to return, another DCL family was having the same idea. There happened to be a shuttle there; but it would cost like $5 a person to take it. So seeing as there was no other option to really do anything else near the beach, we jumped at the opportunity. A couple of other families ended up catching the van back as well. During the ride back a guy behind was saying that every time they do a beach excursion somewhere, they end up paying another shuttle to take them back early. It’s good they give you a nice amount of time there. But for many, it’s probably a little too much time. At least offering a van to take people back halfway through would’ve been nice. Again, it’s not like the ride back to the ship was terribly long or anything. But oh well. We (mainly me and my DD) enjoyed our time at the beach though. Would we do it again??? I honestly couldn’t say either way.

We did this excursion through DCL in Oct. 2013 and while the water was wonderful and the beach was nice, I also thought 4 hours was too long. We had the same kind of weather too. Looked like it was going to storm, but the rain stayed away from the beach and seemed to hover near the ship. We stayed the whole time because we didn't see any other transportation any earlier. I wish there would have been an earlier shuttle, because by the time we made it back, there was no time to shop, which is something I wanted to do. They ushered us to the tender boats because it was just about all aboard time. Mostly, because of this, I would not do the Tiki Beach excursion again. When we go on the Fantasy again this Oct., I think we will just walk around and shop and then get back on the ship.

By the way, loving your report. Awaiting the next installment.

Was the Sherman Brothers movie titled "the boys"? If so, I love that one!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter