Fantasmic with a 2-1/2 year old

Lyn-CA

DIS Veteran
We have ADRs for Fantasmic Dining but I'm second guessing now that I've been reading that Fantasmic may be too scary for toddlers.

Our son will be 2-1/2 on the trip. Should we go for it?

TIA

We have yet to take my 4 year old to it. Too much sitting and waiting to risk him having a cow. I'm not sure how easily you can leave if your child freaks out during the show?

I took my DS when he was about 3.5. He still talks about it. It was a little intense for him. We sat near the back, and close to a place to escape. He felt safer being a little further away from the Dragon.

you know your kid though. So you have to do what you think is best.

shelly

At 5, it was a bit much for my daughter.....but all kids are different. For my daughter the huge snake (Jafar) was very scary, but I think the noise was the biggest factor in her being scared.

My two year old loved it. We are taking my now 6 and almost 3 year old in a few weeks. I can't wait it was a highlight during our last trip.

I took my son at 3.5 he sat on me and he loved it. The dragon he talked about for weeks. We will take him again at 4.5 and I am sure he will need to sit on me again. My son is a scardy cat but he didn't seem to find it too bad. We also did the dinner to cut wait time and I was glad we did.

There is quite a bit of scary and a lot of LOUD - the first time I saw it I had my ears covered because I am not fond of sudden loud noises. Honestly, I wouldn't take a 2.5 year old.

We went last year with a 2.5 year old. He enjoyed most of it. He fell asleep in the middle of it. This is a kid who normally does not fall asleep easily - and was incapable of napping in the stroller or my arms at Disney. He does have sensory issues but the noise of Fantastmic wasn't an issue. He was in my lap the entire time, but that's normal for him even without noise. My oldest also has sensory issues - to the extent that things like fireworks and even Lion King are hard for him to enjoy. But he loved Fantasmic both times he's seen it. We brought some earplugs just in case but didn't need them. I'm thinking that maybe it depends on where you sit.

We didn't do the ADR and waiting was not an issue for us. BUT we went in the off-season. It was the week before t-giving last year. It started at 6:30 and our plan was to get there at 5:30. That didn't happen - we got there closer to 6:00. We were sitting on the edge of the middle third about 3/4 of the way up since I worried about the intensity. There were even some seats left right before. Fantasmic was 5 or 6 days that week, with some having two showings but our night had just one. So, though I'm not going to say there won't be waiting, it is possible to not have to deal with waiting if you go the right time of year on the right day. The kids ate their dessert and played with their glow sticks so waiting wasn't that hard. (Glow sticks bought from dollar tree!)

We have been over the years with 1, 2, 3 and 4 yr olds and they have all greatly enjoyed it! I think every kid is different, but it didnt bother any of mine. This past trip the only thing that scared my 4 yr old was the bug show at AK. If you want to go, you could always sit in the back and leave if he got scared.

My almost 3 yo was fine with it. She got a little scared of the noise and dragon and climbed in my lap, but overall she liked it.

Lyn-CA said:
We have ADRs for Fantasmic Dining but I'm second guessing now that I've been reading that Fantasmic may be too scary for toddlers.

Our son will be 2-1/2 on the trip. Should we go for it?

TIA

Both my kids saw this at this age. No problems. Not with sitting or the show. Just have a few tricks in your bag. Bubbles, or crayons and cheap dollar store small coloring book. Get a snack and before you know it, it will start. Its nice to have a break. The characters are villians but they aren't right on top of you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter