Fantasmic Question

kiwitinkerbell

kiwigirl
If you don't do the Fantasmic Dinner package do you have to line up for hours before it starts to get a seat? We will be there Jan 4-14 and I was thinking of not making an ADR for the package so we have more freedom but one of us are not able to stand for long periods of time. If the seating area was open and you could just arrive early, take a seat, and sit and wait - that would be fine. But if they don't let you in and you have to stand in line waiting, then we would book the dinner package.

Hope that makes sense - I hope someone has advice.

We never book the dinner package, and never have a problem getting into the show. :goodvibes

We're usually January travelers too, and have never waited in line for Fantasmic. We won't head to the ampitheatre until the gates are already opened and they're allowing guests in. We try to get there half an hour or so before the show starts to get better seats.

Once we get in we just sit there and eat snacks and relax for a bit until the show. :)

This depends on the crowds, but generally I would probably line up maybe an hour or so before. I did the dinner package at H&V and not impressed at all with the food. The seats, were ok to good. I really don't know if I would do it again:confused3 :confused3

We were there last November, and got in line about 5-10 minutes before they opened it up. We did not have a dinner package. There were lots of people, but we had no problem finding good seats. We did have to sit and wait for almost an hour, but there are concessions there, so that killed a little time. It looked to me like there wasn't a really bad seat in the house, however, I wouldn't want to be stuck in the standing room only section.

We never book the dinner package, and never have a problem getting into the show. :goodvibes

We're usually January travelers too, and have never waited in line for Fantasmic. We won't head to the ampitheatre until the gates are already opened and they're allowing guests in. We try to get there half an hour or so before the show starts to get better seats.

Once we get in we just sit there and eat snacks and relax for a bit until the show. :)

We would have no problem sitting waiting for the show to start. It will be a nice relaxing time after a full day of park walking. Thanks for the reply.

We were there last November, and got in line about 5-10 minutes before they opened it up. We did not have a dinner package. There were lots of people, but we had no problem finding good seats. We did have to sit and wait for almost an hour, but there are concessions there, so that killed a little time. It looked to me like there wasn't a really bad seat in the house, however, I wouldn't want to be stuck in the standing room only section.

From what you say, I would guess they open it up about an hour before the show begins?

Going in Jan. (slow time) you should have no problem getting decent seats even if you only arrive half an hour before show time, after they open it up. Maybe plan 45 minutes and you'll definitely be good.

But then, I'm also someone who prefers to sit a ways back at Fantasmic. I think that sitting too far toward the front ruins some of the "magic" because you can see the tricks they are doing to create the special effects. pixiedust: As an added bonus, of course, you're that much closer to the exit afterward. :cheer2:

Going in Jan. (slow time) you should have no problem getting decent seats even if you only arrive half an hour before show time, after they open it up. Maybe plan 45 minutes and you'll definitely be good.

But then, I'm also someone who prefers to sit a ways back at Fantasmic. I think that sitting too far toward the front ruins some of the "magic" because you can see the tricks they are doing to create the special effects. pixiedust: As an added bonus, of course, you're that much closer to the exit afterward. :cheer2:

Ahh.... good thinking :thumbsup2 . Actually, I wouldn't mind not sitting up close at all, as long as I can see the stage area, I wouldn't care.

In March we did that Dinner and Show plan. We ate at Brown Derby. The food was pretty good. And our seats were great! (in my opinion) We were in like the 5th row. And we only had to wait about 20 minutes until the show. When i went in 2001 we got there a little TOO early and waited about two hours. But either way fantasmic was worth it. :goodvibes

we last saw fantasmic on dec 23 and the lines were crazy. we got there about 20 mins before the show started, and all the other sections were standing room only. it was great to walk right by and sit down. we also prefer to sit towards the top, i ike getting a bird's eye view. last time we ate at mama melrose. this time we are doing the buffet at hollywood and vine. if you are on the ddp, it makes so much sense to book the dining package.

What about the crowds the first week of August. We're shotting for the 10:30 show on a non emh nite so line up after the 9pm herd is let in I guess :confused3

No one can predict exactly how large the crowds will be or how early you should go to find a seat for Fantasmic! on any given day.
It has totally to do with the whim of the crowd at DHS on that day, and the general crowd LEVELS.
How much time you wish to "invest" in waiting is a personal decision. We never do the formal Dinner Package, and have always seen the show (dozens of times).

(Take all of these as "average" numbers, sometimes the crowd will be MUCH greater and the theater can fill up much sooner.)

VERY Busy days:
If you go to the first show of the evening (or "only" show that evening), if you arrive about 75-120 minutes before show-time, you can sit just about anywhere.
45-60 minutes before: Good seats
20-40 Minutes: will vary between seats at edges and rear of theater to SRO or even "closed" to further guests.

Busy days:
If you go to the first show of the evening (or "only" show that evening), if you arrive about 50-60 minutes before show-time, you can sit just about anywhere.
40 minutes before: Good seats
25-35 Minutes: will vary between seats at edges and rear of theater to SRO or even "closed" to further guests. (The crowd of "last-minute" arrivals can be slow to get seated before show-time.)

Off-Season (not busy days):
You should be OK to enter by 10-20 minutes before, but you'll likely be seated to the outer edges, and/or way at the back.

If you do the Fantasmic! Dinner Pkg. you still SHOULD enter by AT LEAST 35 minutes (much "safer" at 45 minutes) before show-time and still be guaranteed "pretty good" seats (not my "first choice" area, but fine), regardless of crowd-levels. Remember, the DP is only valid for the first show of the evening, if there are 2 or more. If you do have DP and you spy some seats outside the DP "reserved" area, you are free to choose to sit anywhere outside that area you like, no problem.

If there are TWO Fantasmic! shows in one evening, the second one will have lower crowd level than the first one. You can arrive a bit later and still find a seat.

Be aware that the second show waiting area will LOOK like the show is "too crowded".
That's because they HOLD the 2nd crowd outside the theater while the CMs CLEAN it after the first crowd has exited.

Then, they will let those waiting together in that big group IN... all at once, and there will be PLENTY of room.

(The theater seats over 7,000 guests.)

When you enter the theater, there will be CMs along the way directing the flow of traffic, but you may (if you are early enough to have a choice) simply choose any open seats in the theater to be your own.
If you want to exit more quickly, choose a seat farther back and to towards audience-right.
If you want to be immersed in the show (and sometimes, immersed in water-mist, if the wind is blowing "in") choose a seat towards the front.

We like to eat our evening meal while waiting for Fantasmic! to start.
You can bring in items from the counter-service places in MGM, or they DO have concession stands at the rear of the theater serving "baseball stadium-type" food and drinks. Yes, even beer, sold strictly ONE-at-a-time, one-only-to-a-person, so a single person can't go and buy beer for other members of a group... all guests wanting to buy a beer must be present in-person at the counter.
We have a hot dog, maybe a pretzel, later some popcorn or cotton candy (Disney Health Food).
http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_fan.htm
Click above for the "menu."

Fantasmic-BE-CU-051408.jpg

DHS-Gate-Fantasmic-051208.jpg

Thanks Robo - you are awesome! Thanks everyone else as well - your advice and suggestions are so valuable. I think we will leave the dinner package and just see what happens. The reason I asked today is because I have to phone and make my ADR's tomorrow (Chef Mickey's, Kona and Tusker House) and I was thinking of booking the Fantasmic dinner package. However, I think I will leave it which suits better because the January hours are not out yet and it gives us more freedom.

Thanks again.

If you don't do the Fantasmic Dinner package do you have to line up for hours before it starts to get a seat? We will be there Jan 4-14 and I was thinking of not making an ADR for the package so we have more freedom but one of us are not able to stand for long periods of time. If the seating area was open and you could just arrive early, take a seat, and sit and wait - that would be fine. But if they don't let you in and you have to stand in line waiting, then we would book the dinner package.

Hope that makes sense - I hope someone has advice.

If there is a medical reason that the person in your group can't stand for long periods you might check with guest services about special seating. Disney is very accommodating about servicing everyone, because my aunt was in a wheelchair and we had no problems getting her on some of the rides, etc.

When we were at WDW in June, we booked a Fantasmic package near the end of our trip; however, was not crazy about eating at Hollywood and Vine. So, we tried successfully to get in to Fantasmic at the beginning of the trip and then cancelled our ADR. Note though, if you think you might cancel your ADR, you must do it at least 48 hours ahead of time because they have your credit card number (unlike most ADRs).

Have a great trip!

We went around January 4th this past year (I think we were there the 5th-10th) and we went when DHS was having EMH. We went to the second show and it was EMPTY. We got in line about 45 minutes before they allowed people to start making their way in. There was maybe a few hundred people there tops. This was the Monday before marathon weekend.

The first show was absolutely packed with an insanely long line over an hour before they opened the doors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter