Fantasmic! Package: Mama Melrose or Hollywood & Vine???

Disneyfreak616

DIS Veteran
We are looking to do a Fantasmic! Package for our family trip in August at either Mama Melrose or Hollywood & Vine...which one do you guys recommend?? I have only eaten at Hollywood & Vine for the character breakfast so I have no idea what the dinner is like and I've never been to Mama Melrose..any suggestions?? Also, when you book a dinner package do you eat at the actual restaurant and then go to the theater entrance by Beauty and the Beast?? Or how does that work? TIA:goodvibes

Since you haven't been to Mama Melrose before, I would recommend it for you. The food is quite good. Been there twice, one visit the food and service were both great; second time the food was still great but the service was slow.

I have been to H&V for the character lunch and enjoyed it, but again since you haven't been to MM I'd say go there.

And yes, with the F! package you eat at the restaurant and they give you a special pass to bring to the F! package entrance. When we went it was next to B&B and you walk backstage.

We are looking to do a Fantasmic! Package for our family trip in August at either Mama Melrose or Hollywood & Vine...which one do you guys recommend?? I have only eaten at Hollywood & Vine for the character breakfast so I have no idea what the dinner is like and I've never been to Mama Melrose..any suggestions?? Also, when you book a dinner package do you eat at the actual restaurant and then go to the theater entrance by Beauty and the Beast?? Or how does that work? TIA:goodvibes

We like Mama Melrose's the best. Been there twice. The service is slow though.

We did the one at Hollywood and Vine and were completely disappointed. My soon to be sister in law made our reservations and we had 14 people in our party. One being the great grandmother who was in a wheelchair. She was stuck in a spot that once people behind her got in she could not move. They also split us up into two separate tables. 4 of us had DDP, the rest were cash pay. However, they claimed that because we were a "party" of 14 we had to pay the mandatory 18% tip which the waiter did not deserve. But the only people who were willing to say anything was my family. We spoke to a manager who told another (I assume) assistant to "take care of their entire meal." They got my contact info, and I never heard from them again. Went to concierge at our resort and asked them to check into it. Instead of calling us, they called my sister in law, and because they were happy H & V decided we needed to be as well. And since we tipped them, that indicated satisfaction. :headache: Excuse me? If it's mandatory we pay it, then it cannot indicate we were satisfied. Not to mention the whole disrespect of going around us to talk to sis in law. I will NEVER go back there again.

We really like MM and will be doing the F package here in May. We liked everything about this restaurant....the food was really good, I had the 5 cheese flatbread that I really liked but I did try my DH's chicken parm and I seem to like that even more, more so that I know what I am going to get when we are there in a few months :goodvibes. As for H&V we have eaten here once and we were extremely disappointed. The food was cold and there were more dirty tables than clean ones. The service was also not so great at H&V either. So between the two restaurants, I would definitely go with MM :goodvibes

I would go with Mama Melrose as well. The food wasn't the best, but it was decent. I loved the cheesecake though.

There is only 1 place we haven't tried and never will based on the consistently bad reviews - Hollywood and Vine. Any other place on property - we have either been to or are willing to try once.
We have Mama Melrose booked for the F!Package for May.
That being said, after attempting to see Fantasmic without a package this past August, IF Hollywood and Vine was the ONLY choice, I would book it. :duck: - I would rather eat terrible food and have a guaranteed seat for the show, then stand in line with the masses and risk having my peeps trampled. :eek:

Another vote for Mama Melrose! Compared to Hollywood and Vine, Mama Melrose,in my opinion, is a 5 star restaurant. You didn't specify if you were traveling with children (or if you are if they are young). However if you are ask for pizza dough at Mama Melrose. They will give the kids a ball of pizza dough to play will and they even baked it to make bread for my kids. It kept them entertained the whole meal. The package reservation time depends on the time of Fantasmic. However, it typically ranges from a late lunch to early dinner. After your meal, they give you a ticket and you go to the show entrance before the show. I hope you have fun whereever you go but my vote is for Mama Melrose!

I am trying to get a F! package ressie (hopefully at Mama Melrose) for 5/31...any suggestions on best strategies to get this? Anyone know what the likelihood of a cancellation is? Have never seen Fantasmic and are worried about the crowds...

Thanks,
Apple

I am trying to get a F! package ressie (hopefully at Mama Melrose) for 5/31...any suggestions on best strategies to get this? Anyone know what the likelihood of a cancellation is? Have never seen Fantasmic and are worried about the crowds...

Thanks,
Apple

Unfortunately you have a few things going against you - First, that is the holiday weekend - well it's the Tuesday after the holiday...but still. And Free Dining for that week was offered back in Dec.
ADR's for 5/31 were booked back in December and F!Packages seem to get booked up quickly..especially for Mama Melrose. I think your chances are very, very slim of getting in there are this point. Certainly doesn't mean it won't happen, but I would keep checking online several times a day. Good luck. :)

our family definitely love Mama Melrose with F! Food is pretty good and service was good last time we were there. We did another adr for this Sept as well.:cool1:

I haven't been to either but booked MM for our F! package as I have read better reviews for it.

You may not end up with a choice depending on what's available, if August F! packages are as rare as September F! packages.

I haven't been to either but booked MM for our F! package as I have read better reviews for it.You may not end up with a choice depending on what's available, if August F! packages are as rare as September F! packages.

this is what I'm doing as well. I've done H&V character bfast and liked it but heard their dinner isn't so great.
I was only booking my F! package about 60 days out so ended up getting MM for lunch - will then just grab a quick counter service or snack before getting on line for the show. We've never seen fantasmic so I took what I could get!

Thanks,
Apple

...and another thing that you have going against you are people like me...turns out I'm trying to do the exact same thing for the exact same date! :rolleyes1 I have been trying ever since I booked the trip back in early January. I'm about ready to give up, but something tells me to keep trying. I have a ressie for MM that night w/o the F! package and will settle for that if I have to. See you in line!

What about Hollywood Brown Derby...I had Hollywood and Vine ADR on line then called to ask about the F package and they said it was NOT included for the time I had booked on line so they gave me a Brown Derby lunch 2:35 ADR instead so I have that now and it is going to use 2 TC per the three of us, my daughter is 11, and it is only for lunch...should i change this? all of you seem to love MM...would you change if you were me? The Brown Derby did include the F passes....:eek:

What about Hollywood Brown Derby...I had Hollywood and Vine ADR on line then called to ask about the F package and they said it was NOT included for the time I had booked on line so they gave me a Brown Derby lunch 2:35 ADR instead so I have that now and it is going to use 2 TC per the three of us, my daughter is 11, and it is only for lunch...should i change this? all of you seem to love MM...would you change if you were me? The Brown Derby did include the F passes....:eek:

If you can get another Fantasmic DP for the date you want then go ahead and change it.

Not sure when you are going but the ADR's go fast.

Can the Fantasmic dinner package be booked online or do I have to call to make the reservation?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter