Fantasmic or WOC - Help Me Pick Only One??

iujen94

DIS Veteran
We are frequent WDW visitors making our our first trip to DLR this summer. We are from NC, so this may be our only trip to DLR. Since we'll be on East Coast time, and since my boys (who will be 6 and 8 this summer) usually go to bed pretty early anyway (8pm EST), I think it's pretty doubtful that we'll be able to keep them up for two of the four nights we'll be there so that we can see both Fantasmic and WOC (both at 9:00 PST, or midnight EST). If it works out that they can stay up twice, great, but I'm not going to ruin our trip by keeping two kids up and getting them all grumpy for the next day just so I can see both shows.

So my dilemma . . . which should we see, if we can see only one? We've seen Fantasmic once at WDW, but it's been several years ago. My older one remembers it and has been wanting to go back even at WDW. Also, I've heard the Fantasmic at DL is even better than at WDW. I also like that we could possibly see both Fantasmic and the DL fireworks back to back.

On the other hand, there is no WOC at WDW, and this could be our only shot at seeing it. But . . . is it more appealing to adults than to kids, or at least less appealing to kids than Fantasmic would be? While I'd personally love to see WOC, I am all about making the best experience I can for my boys. And, I assume WOC means no shot at seeing the DL fireworks.

So - that's a long-winded way of saying, what would you do?

If it makes a difference, we plan to splurge on either the Fantasmic dessert experience or the WOC dinner package thing so we can get guaranteed good/decent seats for either.

Thanks so much!

If it makes a difference, we plan to splurge on either the Fantasmic dessert experience or the WOC dinner package thing so we can get guaranteed good/decent seats for either.

Thanks so much!

My personal choice would be World of Color. Yes, Disneyland's version of Fantasmic! is superior to WDW's, but like you said, there is nothing comparable to WOC at WDW.

I just wanted to advise you, however, that the WOC dinner package is absolutely not a guarantee at a decent view and is therefore unnecessary in my opinion. Paying the $40-ish per person for the WOC meal just ensures that you will be let into the center preferred viewing area, but you still have to line up about an hour before the show to make sure you can stand in a good spot (there is no seating for WOC). If you don't, you run the risk of getting stuck behind someone tall or someone with kids on their shoulders. If you have to line up an hour in advance anyway, I will always recommend just getting a FREE fastpass from the machines earlier in the day and using that instead of paying for the WOC dining package.

Oh I also wanted to add that WOC is absolutely for kids as well. I have seen WOC seven times I think, and I'm always overwhelmed with emotion. I have cried at least two of those times, not because I'm a big wuss, but because it's just SOOOO cool! I won't give any spoilers, but just the way they coordinate the awesome sound system with the lights and other effects... it totally engulfs you. It's a really awesome show. I'll be the first to admit that the viewing setup STINKS, but the show is amazing.

Tough call. I was going to say World of Color because it's so different from anything currently in WDW...but then you noted your older child really wants to see Fantasmic! and that you are planning to splurge on the dessert seating anyway. The experience before Fantasmic! (sitting down with dessert) will be substantially better than before World of Color (arriving an hour or even 90 minutes early to get a place to stand; hoping to get a spot where no one can obstruct your children's view, etc.)

Given both those factors, I'd go with Fantasmic! because I'm assuming you'll be doing the first showing, and I believe you can stay in your seats and watch fireworks (not the best view by a longshot, but a view, so kind of a two-in-one). I am pretty sure you'll feel "special" with your Fantasmic! viewing but I'm not sure you'll feel that way with World of Color. With kids, just walking up pretty soon before your showing of Fantasmic! will be invaluable, as opposed to waiting for World of Color.

You can get Fastpasses for World of Color for free, maybe on a later night when the boys might be more used to California time. If the boys don't want to do the show, you're not out anything. Again...you still have to get there quite early to get a good spot. Or what you HOPE is a good spot (last time I went we were the first ones in...someone totally leaned over me and pushed me the whole time; not sure why...though obviously if someone tried that on your kids I am sure you would have politely asked the perpetrator to oh so kindly stop...I was too shy to do so on my own behalf. :flower3: )

You technically can watch World of Color from the wrong side of the water without a Fastpass. Not really recommended (you can't see the projections on the water really at all) but the first couple minutes, when the main focus is the fountains, are beautiful from the wrong side, and it's not remotely crowded there, either.

World of Color is not a bad choice either, certainly, so I guess you can't go wrong either way. :) Have a great trip!

If you can't do both, my vote would be for World of Color. Our guidebook said Fantasmic was much better, but we liked WOC better. We did the picnic option, which includes the Fastpass (but you still need to go early to get a decent spot). We also did the Fantasmic dessert option. Despite the cost we had a somewhat obscured view, and although we liked the dessert/cheese tray, our 6 year old daughter wasn't a big fan.

Oh I also wanted to add that WOC is absolutely for kids as well.

Tough call. I was going to say World of Color because it's so different from anything currently in WDW

I think those are the two reasons you should see WoC. It's not at WDW and great for kids.

Though with 4 nights, you shouldn't have trouble seeing all of the night shows. Go on vacation for vaction not to sleep.

I think you'll be surprised how quick kids can adjust to the time difference. Take a nap mid day or at least a break. You should be good on seeing both. Personally I don't care for woc so I'd choose fantasmic.

Two boys 6 and 8?

How will they do lining up and waiting an hour or more just to get into the viewing area and waiting another hour or so before WoC starts, and having to stand to watch the show itself? And you really will need to do all that in order to get a spot where they can see. If you and your DH are willing to put them on your shoulders for the length of the show that'll be 20 minutes or so they won't have to stand, out of a couple of hours.

WoC is pretty, the music is wonderful and the technology is out of this world. However, how much of that will really WOW two boys that young?

Then you have F!. You say you'd do the dessert seating. So basically no wait and a box of goodies and a chair to sit on while enjoying an action packed show, that tends to WOW children and adults alike. Plus the added bonus of being able to enjoy the fireworks in those same seats, providing you select the 1st show.

The choice is yours. I will tell you that we have only bothered to wait for WoC one time since it began a couple of years ago (we have seen it multiple times with VIP seating since the 1st time but without that I highly doubt we'd have seen it again) . Yet we still pony up the money, every visit, to see F! from the reserved area since they started a reserved seating option about 16 years ago (in the beginning it was from the balcony that is now part of the Dream Suite).

dsny1mom

We are frequent WDW visitors making our our first trip to DLR this summer. We are from NC, so this may be our only trip to DLR. Since we'll be on East Coast time, and since my boys (who will be 6 and 8 this summer) usually go to bed pretty early anyway (8pm EST), I think it's pretty doubtful that we'll be able to keep them up for two of the four nights we'll be there so that we can see both Fantasmic and WOC (both at 9:00 PST, or midnight EST). If it works out that they can stay up twice, great, but I'm not going to ruin our trip by keeping two kids up and getting them all grumpy for the next day just so I can see both shows.

So my dilemma . . . which should we see, if we can see only one? We've seen Fantasmic once at WDW, but it's been several years ago. My older one remembers it and has been wanting to go back even at WDW. Also, I've heard the Fantasmic at DL is even better than at WDW. I also like that we could possibly see both Fantasmic and the DL fireworks back to back.

On the other hand, there is no WOC at WDW, and this could be our only shot at seeing it. But . . . is it more appealing to adults than to kids, or at least less appealing to kids than Fantasmic would be? While I'd personally love to see WOC, I am all about making the best experience I can for my boys. And, I assume WOC means no shot at seeing the DL fireworks.

Thanks so much!
WOC. If you dedicate the time. Otherwise F! Here is why:

Unless they do something different this year, summer fireworks at DL are nothing special. So any advantage of seeing Fantasmic and fireworks is not worth the discussion. Further, to really see both F! and fireworks on the same night means seeing fireworks first (at 9:30 usually) and the late Fantasmic show (at 10:30 usually). So that would make it even harder on your kids because of the late hour.

And finally, if you want to do the dessert package for F! IMO that is only worth it for the early show at 9PM. Why? Because that is the show which is harder to see because folks start to stake out spots at 5PM. Also, being earlier in the evening, it is easier to enjoy the show in my experience. Getting reserved dessert seating is not worth it for the late F! show IMO.

So I would recommend dropping the idea of seeing F! and fireworks on the same night. Which leaves us with the WOC vs. F! question.

I agree with a PP who talked about taking naps and being able to stay out later at night. DL and DCA are magical at night. I think your kids could do it given some long, afternoon breaks. So you might not need to choose between F! and WOC.

Now let's talk about WOC. There is a preferred viewing package but it is not for preferred seating. There is no seating for WOC. ITA with the PPs who discussed not getting the dining package with the idea it would give you a good seat. It won't. The only real reason to do the dining package is just because you want to have dinner at AG or WCT before WOC and you are willing to put in the time needed to get your family into one of the prime vieiwing spots. That takes research and time dedication. The WOC viewing area is flawed and so to get a good view and make the whole thing worthwhile you need to dedicate the time. Otherwise it will not be worth it.

So what is the bottom line? Seeing WOC over F! is a no-brainer to me since you have seen F! at WDW. However, if you are not willing and able to dedicate the time to see WOC, then F! is your obvious choice especially if you are going to the early show and plan to get the reserved dessert seating.

For more info see -

"World of Color Superthread" www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=37986447

"Fantasmic! Superthread" http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2671983

:wizard:

Personally I don't care for woc

I just wanted to follow up and make sure the lightning missed you after you typed that. ;)

I also agree that the OP will be surprised how well the kids will do with an early start and a midday nap. They will want to see both.

Another vote for WOC if the discussion is about choosing between WOC or F!

Another thing to have in mind is that in NC you have a time difference of three hours, right? (forgive me if I'm wrong) the jet lag even if it's minimal can change your kids' moods a lot
They might be able to stay up later than you think (or the other way around)

If you watch the 2nd showing of WOC, then the cost for the meal (remember, you're paying for the meal and getting the fastpass for free) is worth it. I went a spring break in 2011 and watched it on Thursday (2nd showing of WOC). We only had to show up about 15-30 minutes before the 2nd show began and were led to our premium viewing area first (after the crowd dispersed).

Then, the other people with passes were led to their viewing areas.

I am in the same boat; my son is 6 and we will only have time for one show when we visit next month. (we do only live 6 hours so will probably be back thou).

We are doing the Fantasmic Dessert. For me standing in a long line to stand for a show he may not have a good view of did not sound like the best choice. With the F! seating we won't have to wait much, we will have a great seat for the show, and we can watch the fireworks when it is done. Seemed like a good choice for a tired little boy! :) Maybe I will catch WOC when he us taller and has more tolerance for standing for long periods.

Really, really tough call and so much good info above. I echo the sentiment to go back to the hotel and take a nap! You'll be in DL in the hot summer. A nap and a short swim should revive you and help you enjoy the nighttime festivities.

If you have it in your budget to spring for F! seating, I'd probably pick that.
That said, the view of the fireworks is weak at best. Sure you can hear the sound track and see the fireworks, but you're missing the best view down mainstreet. And I do take issue that the fireworks are nothing special. Seems to me that Dumbo was there the past 2 summers, and that was a special treat as is seeing TinkerBell. I have no idea what this summer's fireworks hold.

Like others have said, I'd grab FP for WOC for another night, nap, and then try to make it to that show too and spend some time in CA at night. It's a beautiful park all lit up.

You ABSOLUTELY MUST do WOC. Please, please don't miss the greatest show Disney has ever done (IMO). You can do Fantasmic when you are at WDW next time.

I took my granddaughters who were 5 and 7 in the summer of 2010 when it opened. It is well worth the price to do one of the World of Color dinner packages so that you get special seating for WOC. This way you don't have to stand in line so long. My granddaughters had no problems at all. Just be sure and go to the restroom prior to going to your viewing location! You can get in and out, but it is very difficult.

Lisa

WOC. If you dedicate the time. Otherwise F! Here is why:

Unless they do something different this year, summer fireworks at DL are nothing special. So any advantage of seeing Fantasmic and fireworks is not worth the discussion.

Really Hydro? I think the Summer fireworks are my second favorite after Remember Dreams Come True. Magical's soundtrack, Dumbo sighting, and since the poster has never been to Disneyland then Tinkerbell flying all around the castle is a must see. I think both the RDCT and Magical blow Wishes out of the water.

And my choice? This is too tough but probably World of Color because you have Fantasmic! at Hollywood Studios. With that said Fantasmic! is much better at DL. So many tough decisions. Sounds like you need to stay for more days!

Really Hydro? I think the Summer fireworks are my second favorite after Remember Dreams Come True. Magical's soundtrack, Dumbo sighting, and since the poster has never been to Disneyland then Tinkerbell flying all around the castle is a must see. I think both the RDCT and Magical blow Wishes out of the water.
If the fireworks were RDCT I would feel differently. Magical (shown during the summer) is not very...well.....magical. Yawn. I would take Wishes over Magical. But RDCT is head & shoulders above all of them. My two cents. :)

If the fireworks were RDCT I would feel differently. Magical (shown during the summer) is not very...well.....magical. Yawn. I would take Wishes over Magical. But RDCT is head & shoulders above all of them. My two cents. :)

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter