• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fantasmic or Illuminations--can only do one!

Harborchick

Earning My Ears
We can't decide which night time show to see with our three children (ages 10, 7 and 4). If you could only do one, which would it be and why? We did see Fantasmic at DisneyLAND about four years ago and it was fantastic. Illuminations would seem the logical choice since we haven't yet seen it. However, I was wondering if the Fantasmic storyline, seating and earlier show time might be the better choice, especially with younger kids. Thoughts?

When are you going, some times you can do both, with no problems.

I think the little ones will enjoy Fantasmic more than Illuminations, but the adults would probably like illuminations better....

with kids - Fantasmic without a doubt

my kids were bored with Illuminations

Illuminations for sure.Wishes is my favorite followed closely by Illuminations and a far off third is Fantasmic.For me Fantasmic is too long and the videos on the water screens just get boring.Illuminations for me is perfect.

My kids (13, 10 & 5 yrs.) thought Illuminations was boring, but absolutely loved Fantasmic. DH and I enjoyed both shows.

Illuminations without a doubt!

We usually see Illuminations 3-4 times per trip, and haven't made it to Fantasmic for the last few trips at all. We find Fantasmic to be outdated.

Same as others - younger kids loved Fantasmic (I personally love it too) and the grown ups loved Illuminations, but kids were bored - did not get the 'imagery'. If I had to pick I would go Fantasmic.

If you have seen Fantasmic at DL, you may be disappointed with Fantasmic at WDW. It just isn't as good. No Peter Pan, no Sailing Ship Columbia. The only positive over DL is the stadium seating vs finding a place on the ground to sit.

That said, I'd recommend Illuminations if you have not seen it and can only see one of the two. Totally different from Fantasmic. Depending on where you are staying, there are a couple of places to find a place to watch. If you are staying at a BW area resort, watch from the bridge between Great Britain and France. If you have parked in the Epcot parking lot or are riding a bus back to your resort, find a spot between the two stores where Future World meets World Showcase or over towards Canada.

If you have seen Fantasmic at DL, you may be disappointed with Fantasmic at WDW. It just isn't as good. No Peter Pan, no Sailing Ship Columbia. The only positive over DL is the stadium seating vs finding a place on the ground to sit.

That said, I'd recommend Illuminations if you have not seen it and can only see one of the two. Totally different from Fantasmic. Depending on where you are staying, there are a couple of places to find a place to watch. If you are staying at a BW area resort, watch from the bridge between Great Britain and France. If you have parked in the Epcot parking lot or are riding a bus back to your resort, find a spot between the two stores where Future World meets World Showcase or over towards Canada.

Wow, interesting comparison with the Disneyland Fantasmic show. I hadn't realized that. My kids really liked the Peter Pan thing with the ship!

We've seen Illuminations many times and really enjoy it. We also got to see the EPCOT 25th anniversary Illuminations last year which was fantastic. We usually walk around the World showcase and watch from the back. Afterwards we leisurely make it to the exit and getting out is usually not too bad.

We tried to see Fantasmic two times in the past. Up until last fall we were unsuccessful in getting to see it. It was rained out both times we tried - we just had really bad luck. The most recent rain out was after sitting in the drizzle for 45 minutes. Last year we finally got to see Fantasmic. I loved it but our 4 year olds were terrified and buried their heads in laps for most of the show. I think they will be ok next time.

I'd go back to see either any time. I'd ask the girls about going before I bring them to Fantasmic again however.

Wow, interesting comparison with the Disneyland Fantasmic show. I hadn't realized that. My kids really liked the Peter Pan thing with the ship!

That was something I loved about DL Fantasmic. I loved the pirate sword fights. At WDW they have some lame Pocohontas stuff instead. Can you say, BORING???

My dream would be for them to do DL Fantasmic at WDW.

ILLUMINATIONS!!

-Fantasmic is cool but once is enough for me... i have to see Illuminations every trip :cool1:

I have personal ties to Fantasmic and that's why it's my favorite show. One of my closest and dearest friends was a CM that played all of the Mickey's in that show and we actually got to see her perform before she quit Disney to move to Chicago with her husband and start a family.

There really isn't a night show, ie. Wishes, Illuminations that I don't like. I do know from experience my DS got extremely bored watching the Illuminations show. At the time he was nearly 3 yrs old and he just turned 4 so I don't know if it will be the same way in April when we go again.

I live in CA and believe that the DL version is incredibly boring, and from what I've heard, the WDW version is even worse. I would go for Illuminations for sure.

I'd say go see Fantasmic.

Illuminations was great a decade ago, but the technology used in wishes and fantasmic is a billion times better than Illuminations:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter