Fantasmic or DTD with a 2 and 4 y.o.?

RxforDisney

Just lurking around.
We leave Sunday for our first Disney Vacation as a family!!!!!!

I am finalizing my ineterary. We are staying 5 nights, and I currently have the Fantasmic Dinner Package booked for Tuesday night (our MGM day). But, I just realized that we don't have any time set aside to go to DTD, and shop, etc.

My husband is afraid we are overbooked as it is, and is wanting to have a slower night. My DS (2) does not have a very long attention span, and we are afraid that he will be too fidgety to sit through Fantasmic after being at shows all day at MGM. On the other hand, I would LOVE to see Fantasmic.

When I booked the Dinner Package I thought that it would be best since we wouldn't have to wait outside the theater. I still think this is the best way to go, if we see it. The problem is that I have to cancel 48 hours in advance.

Thoughts?

Keep the Fantasmic. You want to see that at least once. And honestly, the DTD shopping is not usually something that 2 and 4 yo's appreciate, unless you buy them everything in the stores.

RxforDisney said:
When I booked the Dinner Package I thought that it would be best since we wouldn't have to wait outside the theater.

You don't ever have to "wait outside" the Fantasmic! theater for the first show.
Its not a "queue-up" event.

You can go up to an hour (or more, on busier nights) in advance of start-time and the theater is just "open" to guests to walk in and pick a spot to sit.

No one can predict EXACTLY how large the crowds will be or how early you should go to find a seat for Fantasmic! on any given day.
It has totally to do with the whim of the crowd at MGM on that day, and the general crowd LEVELS.
How much time you wish to "invest" in waiting is a personal decision. We never do the formal Dinner Package, and have always seen the show (dozens of times).

(Take all of these as "average" numbers, sometimes the crowd will be MUCH greater and the theater can fill up much sooner.)

VERY Busy days:
If you go to the first show of the evening (or "only" show that evening), if you arrive about 75-120 minutes before show-time, you can sit just about anywhere.
45-60 minutes before: Good seats
20-40 Minutes: will vary between seats at edges and rear of theater to SRO or even "closed" to further guests.

Busy days:
If you go to the first show of the evening (or "only" show that evening), if you arrive about 50-60 minutes before show-time, you can sit just about anywhere.
40 minutes before: Good seats
25-35 Minutes: will vary between seats at edges and rear of theater to SRO or even "closed" to further guests. (The crowd of "last-minute" arrivals can be slow to get seated before show-time.)

Off-Season (not busy days):
You should be OK to enter by 10-20 minutes before, but you'll likely be seated to the outer edges, and/or way at the back.

If you do the Fantasmic! Dinner Pkg. you still must enter by AT LEAST 35 minutes (safer at 45 minutes) before show-time and still be guaranteed "pretty good" seats (not my "first choice" area, but fine), regardless of crowd-levels.

If there are TWO Fantasmic! shows in one evening, the second one will have lower crowd level than the first one. You can arrive a bit later and still find a seat.

Be aware that the second show waiting area will LOOK like the show is "too crowded".
That's because they HOLD the 2nd crowd outside the theater while the CMs CLEAN it after the first crowd has exited.

Then, they will let those waiting together in that big group IN... all at once, and there will be PLENTY of room.

(The theater holds 10,000 guests!)

We like to eat our evening "meal" while waiting for Fantasmic! to start.
You can bring in items from the counter-service places in MGM, or they DO have concession stands at the rear of the theater serving "baseball stadium-type" food and drinks. Yes, even beer, sold strictly ONE-at-a-time, one-only-to-a-person, so a single person can't go and buy beer for other members of a group... all guests wanting to buy a beer must be present in-person at the counter.
We have a hot dog, maybe a pretzel, later some popcorn or cotton candy (Disney Health Food).

I would keep the Fantasmic seating as well but be able to hold the 2 y.o. during some of the parts they might think are scary.

I agree with the other posters and your husband. With little ones you definitely don't want to over schedule. Since this is your first trip to WDW, every one especially the children are going to be on sensory overload, please, please, pleeeease don't try to squeeze every thing in 1 trip.
Fantasmic is absolutely fabulous, it is one of my families favorites. This time of year you shouldn't have to really stand around outside the amphitheater and wait. Not like in July where you have to get there 1 hour before show time.
Enjoy a nice dinner, if you do the dinner/show package you'll have ample time after dinner to stroll around the shops in MGM. Check out the villians store, it's cool. This should allow your 2 y.o. the opportunity to run off a little steam.

Have you thought about calling CRO to see if you can simply get an early ADR at one of the MGM restaurants (one that would still give you time to get seats at Fantasmic) and cancelling the Fantasmic package? That way you would not be locked into spending the $$ on the package should, during the day, the kids end up being too tired for Fantasmic and you decide to change your plans. We did this in Dec. - ate at HBD around 5:15 p.m. - and then walked over to Fantasmic.

I am in the minority. I would ditch Fantasmic. Our family finds the show scary and I would never take kids so young there. It really depends on your family. Also, take some time to relax. If you Dh thinks you are overbooked I would take the extra time to do DTD instead. It is low key and you can spend as much or as little time there.

You know your children best..my girls 6,9 love the show and have been going for years. I never get the package and have never had a problem with seating usually go 45 min prior to start and have a snack for them & one of their activity books to color. Downtown is very boring to them once they have gone to World of Disney to pick out their stuff they dont want to have anything to do with the place. It is mostly shopping..they do have the lego store with a station to play but I have wittnessed to many not so nice children with no parent supervision in the play area. I don't let them do it. I love to go into all the shops so many neat things to look at. Personal choice.

I agree with the above dont try to stay on an exact schedule it will drive you crazy. Us it as a basis to follow and if you dont get to do something it wont be the end of the world. Better to skip and keep the kids rejuvinated and in good spirits. Have a great trip

I say stick with Fantasmic though I would probably ditch the dinner package. Seating is usually not an issue as long as you allow a little time to make it to the theater. By ditching the dinner package you would have a day a little less planned out and still make the show you want to see.

BTW, our kids absolutely enjoy this show but there are a couple of places where things get loud so be on your toes.

Fantasmic is great, but it might not be so enjoyable if your little ones are scared of loud noises. I took my son for the first time around 2, and he was definately scared. Nothing else had bothered him leading up to that, including the other fireworks shows, but being there did. Just something to keep in mind like others have said. There are a couple of smaller rides at DTD as well if you decide to go there. My son loved the train that's there when he was that age.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter