Fantasmic for small children

baivasps

Mouseketeer
I have heard that Fantasmic can be a little scary for young children. We are going in June with a 5 and 2 1/2 year old. It will be kind of late which is ok if it is worth it. I'm just not sure it's a good idea for their age. What do you think?

I have heard that Fantasmic can be a little scary for young children. We are going in June with a 5 and 2 1/2 year old. It will be kind of late which is ok if it is worth it. I'm just not sure it's a good idea for their age. What do you think?

Curious about this as well. Our kids will be 4 and 18mo at that point. Normally wouldn't keep them out that late though. :P

It's no more scary than a regular disney film - features some vilians, loud music, fireworks and fire.

My 5yo loved it

I've heard this as well and it's actually why I'm glad we have people going with us this time. MIL is going to watch the kids that night so we can see it. My kids are almost 5, 3.5, and 16 months and I don't think they would go for it. The main concern though is my 5 year old b/c he is autistic and does not do loud noises and I think it would be WAY too much stimulation for him to handle. I've never seen it, so I'm not sure how a typical child would do. I guess if they can handle fireworks and you don't think the villans would scare them then they are probably fine.

We have seen more than one toddler freak out over the show. Most kids by 5 or 6 seem ok, but I am sure that our friend's autistic son whom is 6 could not handle it.

Like most things, it depends on the kid. We just got back and our DD 3 loved it. It was probably one of her favorite shows.

It depends on each child, but I agree with MSSANDRA- I don't know if I've ever seen Fantasmic when I didn't hear at least one child around me crying at certain parts. My best advice is to watch it on youtube and see what you think. Obviously it isn't the same as being there, but you can at least see for yourself before you get there- unless you don't want to see it ahead of time!

I'd skip it with those ages, the show is great. The crowds and long wait to get into the theater and long wait before the show starts can be enough to drive anyone with young kids nuts. Add in loud explosive fireworks, a 'dark' theme, hot fires burning on the water, a bigger than life snake and a variety of Villans trying to kill Mickey and most little kids are scared. Our DS is 'tough' as far as kids go but at 5 this year he screamed like he was being kidnapped and bawled at Fantasmic. It was terrible and completely out of charecter for him. The show was much more frightening to him than we ever expected.

DD5 was very excited to watch fantasmic this last trip (first time for her was at 2.5 yo), but she fell asleep. We still managed to get into the theater, but she would not open her eyes. Truth is she is a bit scared by fantasmic. She watched some parts, but the bottomline is that she 'agreed' to it just to watch the last part, where all the characters pass sailing on Mickey's boat.

If you ask me, it can be scary at times, but they can choose not to watch some parts.

I think that in the end it doesn't end up as a scary experience, so that they'll have a bad memory about it.

But then again, it depends on each kid.

Have fun,

Mx

Really depends on the child. You may be better able to judge by how they react to other things you do before F! such as other fireworks,etc. My oldest DD saw F! the first time@ 4 1/2 and she liked it. Our other DD just saw F! for the first time and she was 3 1/2. It was her absolute fav from the trip and now she adores Sorcerer Mickey! But.... she also would have nothing to do with the princesses and got along fabulously with the villains--Anastasia was her favorite.

When we saw it in June 2008, my DS9 liked it, DD5.5 was terrified and spent the whole show with her face buried in my arm. With the ages you have, I'd say skip it. Maybe you can find something on YouTube and see how they react before hand? We did that a lot for the rides this past trip and it seemed to help them with what to expect. Whatever you decide, have fun!

Kathy

While my 5 yo likes fireworks, he freaked out during the "not so scary halloween fireworks". We're going to wait until our youngest is at least 5-6 to take them to fantasmic.

When we went last year our Son was 4 and Daughter was 3... and they both really loved the show... I mean as much as there are those scary parts.. like every thing diseny.. GOOD always WINS out... so they would get excited when that happened..

Plus it is a really wonderful display of most of the BIG Disney Characters...

I would say if your kids can watch Sleeping Beauty or Snow White.. then they should be good...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter