• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fanny packs back in style?

NandP

Nick D DIS Veteran DVC-BCV
Are fanny packs still out of style?? i don't want to look like a 50 year old dork.. i have too much to carry in my pockets

I say rock whatever you're comfortable wearing, no one will stare and point, promise. I have one that I use for shorter trail hikes and I also used it in January at all the parks, didn't notice anyone staring or looking at me like I was a dork but I wouldn't of cared if they did. It made for super easy toting of all park essentials.......BTW, I call it a "Lumbar Pack" LOL. So rock that FP and have a great time.

My DH used one on our trip. Some people probably thought he looked like a 51-year old dork, but he didn't care! He wears glasses and needs a place to keep them safe during some rides. He also has prescription sunglasses and frequently switches between those and his regular glasses. I could carry his glasses in my bag, but he would be constantly asking for the case so he could switch his glasses (annoying for both of us!). A fanny pack is a perfect solution. It's small, light, and keeps his hands free. His glasses, wallet and a few other little things fit nicely. He has no desire to carry a shoulder bag of any type, and he doesn't have enough secure pockets in every pair of shorts he owns.

If a fanny pack is convenient for you, go ahead and carry one. Anyone who thinks it's silly is probably secretly wishing they could rock one too!

I grabbed a baggallini bag and I love it! It's thin and it has tons of little compartments to hold all my stuff. With the adjustable shoulder strap, anyone in my family can wear it. It's really light and not cumbersome at all.

52 year old dork here... strange, it never went out of style for me. I have one with a shoulder strap so I can switch off how I "wear" it. Plus it has two good water bottle holders.

While I wouldn't say that fanny packs are "back in style" by any means, ;) they are definitely handy to use at WDW. I definitely get the appeal. I say if you want to wear one, go for it and don't worry about it.

For Disney, though, I personally switched to a cross-body bag (it's actually a small purse) a few trips ago and really like it. I carry some extra weight in my tummy and didn't like having a fanny pack add extra bulk in that area. Just not flattering, especially in pictures! My small cross-body bad works just as well and is a bit more flattering!

If you look at my avatar, I wore my fanny pack like that plus it feels better than just having it on the waist.

Can I join the dork club.... plzzzzzzzzzzzz :woohoo:

I'm not a pack mule so if it doesn't fit in the fanny pack im not carrying it.

I am also a 50yr old dork. In fact, I've had the same fanny pack for the last 10yrs of trips. It also has a bottle holder. We are going again at Christmas, and my kids have sworn to get me a new one so that they don't have to see it in all the pictures. I say it's my frugalness that allows them to go so often!!! :)

I don't think they are/were EVER 'in style', but I have used them in the past for many years, due to their ease. I have switched over to using a Disney cloth back sack instead, simply for comfort, when I go to the Disney parks, but keep my fanny pack for use at Universal parks, since so many rides require you to check any type of backpack or purse. Bottom line- use whatever works for you and your comfort and needs- no one will look at you crossways- there are fanny packs seen everywhere in the parks!

I just got back today from a week in WDW. My fanny pack was on me every single day! I have to carry my glucometer and insulin with me in the park, so I need to either have a purse/backpack etc. The fanny pack is just the perfect size and it leaves me hands free for the Food and Wine Festival!!! :thumbsup2

I would never go to WDW without my pack. but I wouldn't be caught dead in it elsewhere. I think people just expect it at theme parks and it's OKAY!!!!

My family has been to the World a few times over the years and we always wear fanny packs. Just this past trip in April the Easter Bunny brought everyone fannies in their baskets. I love it for sunglasses room key etc. my husband loves his for sunglasses money room key and even a small i touch for pics. All my children used them for spending money and disposable cameras. I say GO WITH THE FANNY! It's DISNEY! Have fun!!!

Considering what you are going to see people wearing at the parks (or "not" wearing), a person wearing a fanny pack is not going to stand out in any way. Believe me, nobody, but nobody, is going to point any fingers at you for wearing a fanny pack. I could kiss the person who invited the pack.....it's the ideal crowd-friendly carrier. You can pull it around to the front and keep a hand on it if you are in close crowds and worried about pickpockets. You can swing it around to the back if you want. You can take it off and carry it like a purse. Win-Win! I have a big one and a little one and never go to the parks without one.

I used to wear a fanny pack. But it never failed, a couple of days into my trip, it would start to bother me to have that thing strapped around my waist. I'm much happier with a cross body bag. You still get to be hands free, and the, for me, I don't notice the weight of it.

PS--fanny packs were never really in style. Some of us just didn't care.;)

That little extra weight around the waist area just seems uncomfortable to me and I would always be checking to see if my shirt is coming up are not going all the way down because of the bag.

When we go in March we are going to try to go with some cinch sack type backpacks. I found them on a site that I use when buying moisture wicking shirts.

http://www.jiffyshirts.com/?category=Bag&style=Other&start=15

We are the dorkiest family when we do WDW. All of us wear the packs (even the kids) :joker:

It's just way too convenient to have everything secured to your body that you need (the kids carry their own misting fans, toys for line ups, snacks and water in theirs) Would I wear them when shopping in a mall...heck no...but Disney just seems appropriate to sport the dorkster as the days are so long.

I say go with what works...:thumbsup2

Are fanny packs still out of style?? i don't want to look like a 50 year old dork.. i have too much to carry in my pockets
:rotfl2::rotfl: In Disney anything goes! Wear anything that makes you more comfortable and a day in the park easier. Lots of people wear fanny packs to the park along with a variety of other "out of style" clothing and accessories.

They're not in style and don't look good but I still wear mine when going to the parks.I mean it's not about how you look it's about how I don't want to lose my keys,wallet,cell phone,etc...especially while on a trip.Doing so will pretty much ruin your trip and since I know everything is in there secured and safe it's a must wear for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter