Fanny packs and sandals/flip flops?

For shoes, I wouldn't wear anything other than some higher end Tevas or Keens. I have a pair of Teva Mush (had to look to see what they were because I called them something else in another thread) and I would not wear them to the parks.

Last year I wore Teva Open Toachies and my feet never hurt all week. They were all I wore. No blisters or sore spots. I'm wearing the same pair again this year and taking my Teva Mush for the pool. After wearing those, I'll always wear something similar. You do so much walking that keeping your feet in good shape is important! :cool1:

I have a pair of Birkenstock thong sandals and another pair with regular straps, including an ankle strap, and I alternated between these two for an entire 7 days in the parks in the height of summer; I can't imagine wearing sneakers in that heat... although my son did, and he was always complaining about his feet being hot and sore.

Also, I just carry a smallish bag with me the whole time, and I've never had to leave it behind at Disney; I've tucked it into the holder during Soarin' and maybe Space Mountain, and I think that's it. I carry my wallet, some needed medications, and an autograph book for my son; obviously if your kids are much younger than 4 or 5, you'll need to carry more stuff and use a bigger bag. My bag has two side pouches for water bottles. I got it at REI; it's very similar to the Sherpani one someone posted a link to above.

Well jeeze, this is a relief! Thanks guys!! As for the glasses issue, maybe I'll just bring my contacts (then I can even wear sunglasses!). I guess I'll just pack small for IoA because I have no clue how bags are gonna work at Harry Potter.

Thanks again! I bought a pair of Columbia Kea sandals yesterday. I owned a pair a few years ago and they were the best thing to happen to my feet, so hopefully they'll do me well at the world!

Hello life saving experts of WDW! My sister and I are spending a week at the World and US in late August. I've read a lot about not being able to take bags on to rides-- but if by some miracle I pack small and can fit everything into a fanny pack, will they let me take that on? (As a side note, I was at Six Flags a few weeks ago and had a tiny shoulder purse I was able to slip down my pants before getting on rides and they let me on, LOL. Would that work?)

Second question! Would you recommend wearing sandals to the parks? I have a pair of AMAZING Columbia thongs, the high quality $70 kind. I can't imagine having my feet cook in running shoes all day, so would it be smart to just bring these? Will they fly off during rides?

I have tried wearing many different kinds of shoes at WDW. The winner is my Nike flip-flops. Super comfy, much better than my walking tennis shoes. Only had to take them off for Soarin'.

since no one seems to have explained it, or i missed it, they have these mesh/net like bags attatched to rides for you to secure your belongings in, so it may be in front of you, under you etc. you just put your bag, water bottle, shoes, mouse ears, or any other loose items in it. i used to frequent six flags and it is no where near as restrictive- in fact i was shocked at what they let you bring on rides. i wore a cross body bag, i found it was easy to hop on and off rides quickly having it attatched to me. those lockers/cubby holes they have at six flags they do not have at disney to my knowledge so anything you have goes with you.

as far as shoes, it depends on how and where you are walking. i could see flip flops at a slow pace, however i live in the nyc area and every summer there is segments on the news about how soooo many women and even men damage their feet and legs in the summer from wearing unsuportive sandals. i like to be able to walk quick or run to catch a bus so i wear sneakers all week. i would bring a few options in case one does not work out.

I know this is a Disney forum and don't want to intrude on someone else's thread but does anyone know what the situation is with fanny packs at universal?

Many thanks :)

I was at Six Flags a few weeks ago and had a tiny shoulder purse I was able to slip down my pants before getting on rides

Is that a tiny shoulder purse, or, are you just glad to see me?

Oh, so if I end up bringing a big bag they'll let me leave it right at the loading point of the ride and grab it when I get off?

NO!!! There is no where to leave bags at Disney rides. There are lockers at each park main entrance, but not at the rides. But even average size backpacks fit on all rides I have been on

I guess I'll just pack small for IoA because I have no clue how bags are gonna work at Harry Potter.

I suspect that if they can see it, they're going to make you put it in a locker. Many rides at IoA and US have lockers, which are free for an hour or so (then I think they charge you?). The lockers are not always that convenient, though. The purse I carried was very small at US (I think it was a Vera Bradley Mini-Hipster) and I had to put it in a locker a lot. At WDW, you're all set, though.

ETA: I hope that didn't read as if I recommend hiding it, I don't! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter