• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fanny packs all around!

I kind of like those belt bags. They would be great for hitting the playground or short walks during the summer months when I wouldn't have jacket pockets for my cell phone and keys. But I worry that it is a slippery slope. Sure, I start with a cute Michael Kors "belt bag" for occasional outings. But then, before you know it, I'm rocking a vintage, puffy neon pink fanny pack from 1987 and my husband is walking 20 ft behind me at the mall. I'm really tempted, but what if a belt bag is really just a gateway bag and one step from daily fanny pack fashion? ;)

:lmao::lmao::lmao::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: OMG! This is awesome!

Like a previous poster has already said the word "fanny" has an entirely different meaning in the UK. Hearing people in parks talk about their fanny pack makes me giggle and even this thread is making me chuckle! I love the joys that the different use of the English language brings!

I had to Google Fanny too and see what it means in the UK. For anybody that is still curious and hasn't Googled it, it means a term for a girl's girly lower parts.

I also wear a fanny pack to the parks because I carry two water bottles filled with tea into the parks with me. I detest Disney sweet tea. It is not very sweet and is very bitter. They use Gold Peak too but they do something different to it because it is nasty. I carry my own into the parks. I fill a bottle half full of tea then freeze it (2 of them) and in the morning I will fill it the rest of the way up with tea and as the frozen tea melts it keeps the tea bottle cold. And I have to have a fanny pack big enough to carry 2 bottles and a few granola/protein bars.

I wear cropped cargo pants for my huge phone. (I have a Samsung note that has a 5 1/2 inch screen. It is almost as big as a Kindle Fire) So I use the large pockets on my cargo capris for my phone. I carry a lanyard with a pocket pouch for my tickets/kttw and debit cards and cash.

I have to disagree with the troll who posted on the first page who said ppl who wear fanny packs are slobs. That is just some troll trying to get a rise out of everybody. I wear a fanny pack and I am neither a slob nor do I have a big ole gut hanging over it.

I actually use a small PacSafe crossbody that can be converted to a waist bag (for when I need it on rides). Very stealthy. :cool2:

I've worn them many times. However this time I am going to try a small camera case instead. One that's big enough for my camera, phone, and my glasses.

I'm in my early 20s and I don't really get why fanny pacs are so "un-cool". They seem convenient to me?

I have no idea why they are so un-cool. Then again Disney property is the only place I use one. They are convenient.

I kind of like those belt bags. They would be great for hitting the playground or short walks during the summer months when I wouldn't have jacket pockets for my cell phone and keys. But I worry that it is a slippery slope. Sure, I start with a cute Michael Kors "belt bag" for occasional outings. But then, before you know it, I'm rocking a vintage, puffy neon pink fanny pack from 1987 and my husband is walking 20 ft behind me at the mall. I'm really tempted, but what if a belt bag is really just a gateway bag and one step from daily fanny pack fashion? ;)

bahahaha hilarious!

Due to some weird rules, I find the NEED to wear a fanny pack only at the Universal parks. I don't (and won't) wear one at Disney as a personal choice, but I certainly wouldn't pass judgment on anybody who does. Do what best suits you and your family.

Hi
I went with my two girlfriends and we all wore our "belt purses". I wear my top out with just the purse part showing. I love having hands free. I have used a cross body bag, but after a while, my shoulder starts to hurt. The "belt purses" are just so convenient.

I actually always wear fanny packs to Disney.. or any theme park for that matter. I'm 30 and have TONS of friends who wear them to a bunch of places. Maybe it's a new york "club" thing, but if you were to look at pictures from any sort of music festival (Coachella, Electric Music Festival, Daisy Festival, etc) you would see a whole lot of young kids (in their 20's) wearing fanny packs.

I think they may be back in style now.

So fret not my friends... wear that fanny pack and wear it proud :banana:

Yep, we use them! In fact I brought a new leather one for our up coming trip:goodvibes, I feel more secure, The kids have their own too, we would never wear them not at Disney, but I like the hands free ability, I am one that forget my purse all the time, in restaurants ect. This way it is attached to me and I don't have to worry.

I'm a 52 year old slightly overweight female and a typical day in the parks will see me clad in:

Tinkerbell tshirt (with glitter)
Cropped cargo pants
Birkenstocks (left behind by DD when she went off to college seven years ago)
Scraped back pony tail shoved beneath my Mickey Mouse ball cap

Given the above I just can't see what kind difference the type of bag I'm sporting could possibly make. ;)

love this, I am right there with you! I am not going to know anyone else there so I don't care! I am not there for a fashion show, I am there to have a fun safe vacation:cool1:

We use them too! My DH and I each have one and my girls each have one as well. Mine & my DHs are from LL Bean (mine is aqua! his is black). He actually only uses it on day hikes and in the theme parks he carries a camera bag. My girls usually only wear them on days when they are bringing in autograph books. I do have a small Mickey cloth backpack that I got in 2011 and really like and now I interchange them depending on outfits, etc. I agree with one PP in that I won't wear a hip pack with a sundress on because I don't like cinching it in like that. But other days I will absolutely wear it and it's perfect for holding items everyone else has said: tickets (I keep for everyone), photopass card, ID, some cash, medical ID, small sunscreen, bandaids, phone, card with ADRs on it, etc. I try not to bring much in with me, but these little things do add up to too much for my pockets or DH's.
Here's something that will top all of you: not only do we rock the waist pack, we also rock the sunglasses string! None of us could care less what anyone else thinks. Taking those sunglasses on and off constantly every time you go into a ride or shop or restaurant and then back out into the August sun is just asking for them to get set down and forgotten. One dd has a beaded one with butterflies and the other two have cute prints; mine is plain black. They have no idea whether they are cool or not and have never expressed any embarrassment over wearing them or what they look like, EVEN IN PICTURES! So just look for me and my family with the hip packs and the glasses strings. Oh, and this year we may do matching shirts, too.
Yeah, we'll be THAT family, and proud of it!!
:cool1:

That's the one I got for our trip this year. It was the perfect size for everything I needed: Phone, cash, I.D., Keys to the World, FastPasses, lip balm, extra contact case :)

I also had a small string bag for things like sunscreen, tylenol, bandaids, moleskin,etc.

The "waist pack" made grabbing my phone, FastPasses, etc. a breeze.

We always carry fanny packs...other than on Soarin', they never come off, so I don't have to worry about stuff getting lost! My boys keep a pair of sunglasses, sunscreen wipes from Avon, and their cameras in theirs. No juice boxes for us...too hot for sugar...but I get them the juice-box sized rubbermaid drink boxes, and we refill them with ice water as needed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter