• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Fanny Pack ALTERNATIVES?

DanMedix

DIS Veteran
I'm sure that there are more folks out there than just myself that dislike fanny packs. SO, what are the alternatives? What's worked for YOU? What can you recommend, or NOT recommend?

I use the Passporter Passholder. Nice little nylon bag that goes around my neck. It fits my room Keys, FP's, a pen, receipts, cash and my debit card. It can even hold my thin little digital camera if I want it to. Last time we went, Dh put it down in his shorts pocket and we didn't even have to go thru security. I love it. I have three kids, and used to think I needed a bigger bag or a fanny pack. I figured out last October that I only need my PassHolder.:goodvibes

Travelon sell a mini messenger type bag that fits across your body making it easy to get on and off rides hands free.

i always wear cargo shorts. they're comfy and convenient. i can carry a camera, autograph book, pen, hat, keys, pass, creditcards/keys/id, cash and any other little things. it doesn't look bulky and isn't uncomfortable. you can get pockets with snaps/buttons/velcro to ensure that your stuff doesn't fall out. the added benefit is that they don't count as a bag so you can go through the no-bags line to get in.

I always carry a small backpack that has just one strap. This way I can slip it over my shoulder. I like being able to carry a water bottle, sunscreen, tylenol, and a cheap poncho. Small bags are best so they easily can fit in the holders provided on the rides. The security checks are quick and painless, no big deal. Last week we saw a gentlemen stopped that had cargo shorts on. It was obvious his pockets were full. He was asked to go back through the line and empty them. Some days they barely even glance in bags, other times they will poke into every nook and cranny. Personally, I'm glad they do it.
Enjoy your trip in October.

If you're near a Bass Pro Shop or a Cabela's or other huge sporting goods store, look for a "safari vest" or "photographer's vest" Both have tons of pockets of all sizes, with velcro or zipper closures. I took a safari vest on Spring Break to WDW this year and liked it much better than the fanny pack I wore the year before.

I really love my "Dakine" brand small backpack, its a good size for a water bottle, poncho and wallet, etc. but it doesn't sag on your back, it hugs your back.... hard to describe, but its the perfect size!

I second the small backpack. I hated wearing the fanny packs too. I searched for something lightweight that wouldn't bother my shoulders and low and behold, I found one at wal-mart. Lightweight but doesn't get soaked from rain or water rides. Easy nylon with wide padded straps and has 2 mesh water bottle holders on the sides. It worked great for our trip last December. I was able to carry emergency supplies like bandaids for blisters or scrapes, tylenol for headaches etc, camera, the paperwork for our ADR's with confirmation numbers (just in case), park maps, and any little souvies we didn't want to have sent back to the resort. Since we flew and it was cold where we live, I had packed shorts and a lightweight shirt for our arrival, since I knew our luggage wouldn't be in for a few hours after arrival. Very glad I did, it was in the 80's and hot when we checked into our resort. I have already gotten that wonderful little bag out and ready for packing for our next trip :thumbsup2

I also like cargo pants. My Dh and Ds both had the pants last time we went. My Dd and Ds filled ds's pant pockets with treats each morning. I carried a traveller's pouch around my neck with the tickets and cc. My Dh put the camera
in one of his pockets and snacks in the other. It's so much faster to not have to have your bags checked. This years trip I planning on everyone having pockets on their pants.:thumbsup2

Come on now, the pure fashion of fanny packs keeps me wearing them trip after trip. :lmao: That being said, I've found a money belt to be a good way to keep my credit card and park ticket from falling out of my pockets. I travel pretty light at the parks so that's all I need.

I carry a North Face Radix backpack. It's super comfortable, not too big or bulky, fits a ton of stuff, and did not cause any problems or difficulties riding any rides (I rode with it on all the coasters, EE, Space Mtn, BTMRR, Splash, RnRC, ToT, etc. and it never caused a problem).

http://www.trailspace.com/gear/the-north-face/radix/

I have a red Baggallini. It has tons of pockets and fits my four foot eleven height

I like a small backpack too. A flat one. But here's the best thing and something the security officers at WDW will just love:

In the ironing board section of Target I purchased a mesh laundry bag that is about 10 x 15". It has a zipper top. So I just put all my essentials in the mesh bag which I place in the backpack. When it comes time to get checked out in the bag check lines, I simple pop out my mesh bag and all my stuff is clearly visible to the security people. No more wasted time removing stuff from the backpack or the poor security people trying to shine their flashlights inside!

I like some type of small sling type purse, that way I can just sling it over one shoulder and it's still right there whenever I need it and there is no need to take it off on rides.

Last year I used a bagallni (SP?) and this year I got a tumi small sling bag that I think will be perfect for my next disney trip (whenever that is!)

I tried the backpack thing one year and it was horrible, so that I do not reccommend at all. I know a backpack works for some people but for me, I hated having to either ride with it on or hold it through the rides and since we went in the summer time the heat and carrying a backpack wasn't fun.

It depends on what you needed to bring but I had one of those, one strap over the shoulder backpacks. It was smaller then your average backpack but I was still able to fit everything I needed in there and since it was smaller/lightweight it wasn't uncomfy at all.

I'm sorry, I am a big fanny pack hater. The only one that I actually like is the Gucci fanny pack, but I'd kill myself if I spent $300 on a bag I'd wear one week out of the year.
For me, backpacks, tend to hold in body heat and I get VERY hot. There's nothing uglier than a big sweaty circle on my back :)
I do like messanger bags and think that they're practical for both the parks and everyday life. Melie Bianco makes a great one that has a convertible strap. It can be lengthened and used as a messanger bag, or, shortened to create a shoulder bag. Practical and stylish all in one! (Ok, maybe it's a little 2-years-ago, but it's still stylish!) Here's a link to one on Ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/MELIE-BIANCO-La...ryZ63852QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

In the past, I've always used the Disney backpack that I got on my high school graduation trip to the World in '97, and I'm taking it again in August but I'm also taking a smaller shoulder bag that I've used when I cover sports events. I'm going to try travelling light enough to use that instead, since in Aug we're not likely to need jackets or even dry clothes (we're happy to air dry when it is warm).

I used a Travelon bag last year and I really liked it except I put too much stuff in it and the front flap would not stay closed. This year I am getting a small fanny pack for my son so he can carry his autograph book, pen, pins and a snack or two. That should help out a lot! (and my bag will stay closed! :) ) Plus I won't have to dig for any of his things when he sees a character he just has to meet. This year I am going to try a Bagallini or a Donner bag (can't remember who makes it) as well and see which I like best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter