FAMILY TRIP TO WDW 3

Angelrose

But I LIKE boring!
December 2, 2016 – This is the last of our family trips this year. I’ll introduce the gang for first time readers.

I’m Mary, Grandmom to Jesse 9 and Zoey 6. My son Chuck and my beautiful daughter in law Karen round out the crew. We were here in October, just in time for hurricane Matthew. It poured most of the time, but we still had a wonderful time.

I have been hurrying to get the house all decorated before we go away on the 5th. Every room is now decorated, the tree is up, decorated and lit with beautiful lights. There are lights and big red bows around the bannister, lights around pretty much everything. I love Christmas.

It’s been years since I have been to WDW at Christmas time. My DH Ron and I used to go every two years the second week in December. Everything is so beautiful there. This will be the first time for the grandkids to be there at Christmas time as well as Karen. Chuck has been there many times with us when he was younger.

Flight reservations are set, our vacation home is rented, my scooter is rented, the fast passes are arranged and our dining reservations are arranged also. Our bags are packed and it’s almost time to go!

I will be spending the night of the 4th with Chuck so that we can get an early start on Monday morning to catch our 7am flight. I can’t wait!

December 4th – We had a nice dinner and watched tv for a while. Then everyone said goodnight. I never sleep well the night before we go away and this was no exception. Three o’clock came and we all got in the car to drive to the airport. Going through security was no problem and we boarded right on time. The flight was good and we got to MCO and Karen went to get our car and we got our luggage. How come our luggage is always the last to come out?

December 5th –

We were on our way to MGM. Since it is a small park, I thought I could manage without a scooter. Mine was being delivered to our vacation house later, so I would have to rent one. At first it wasn’t too bad. Chuck and I went on Tower of Terror and Karen and the kids went in some stores. Chuck and I also went on Rock N Roller Coaster. I can still take that one. It is so much fun. We all got together again and had a hot dog for lunch. Chuck, Jesse and I went to see the Indiana Jones show while Karen told Zoey to the Frozen show. They got to the part where the airplane comes in and it would line up. They tried pushing it and moving it, but it wasn’t going to happen. So they just ended the show. It was still a fun show.

By this time my hips and back were screaming. But I wasn’t going to give in. We went on the Great Movie Ride which we all love and then went on the Nemo ride and spent some time looking at the fish. We stopped in a store and I bought a couple of ornaments.

We drove over to Epcot and went to see about a scooter. They said we were all out and that I would have to use a wheelchair. Chuck said it was fine and I got in. I can’t tell you how terrible I felt. Now my son has to push me in that chair all around Epcot. I kept apologizing and they all said it was fine, but I still felt terrible. Then the lady who was at the scooter desk ran after us that she found one for me. YAYYYYY! I don’t have to use a wheelchair. Now we can get on with our day. I felt so much better riding. We went on Spaceship Earth, still one of my favorite rides. Then on to Test Track.

Zoey cried last year when she rode it, but this time, as in October, she laughed and rode with her hands up most of the time. Chuck as usual made a very strange vehicle. But it did come in 2nd or 3rd with everything.

It was time for our reservation at Morocco. Oh I love the food here. I got the iced mint tea and the couscous with lamb shank and vegetables. I also had the Harara soup. What a meal. The lamb was so tender and just fell off the bone. Our last stop of the evening was Mousegears. I got a Christmas mug, a rice crispy treat and some pin locks.

It had been a long day and we were all so ready to get to our vacation house and relax and unpack. My scooter was there waiting for us. I unpacked and got a nice hot bath and fell asleep before my head hit the pillow.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

December 6th - Today is Christmas Party day. It’s been years since I went to a Christmas Party. I’m very excited.

We stopped at Chick Fil A for breakfast and we got to Magic Kingdom right after rope drop. I had my own rented scooter now and that always helps.

Our first ride was Thunder Mountain. I know it’s an old ride, but I still laugh and scream like it was my first time. After all I’m only 5 years old! We went over to Tomorrow Land and rode Buzz and my score was abysmal as usual. But it’s still so much fun. After that we relaxed on the People Mover. Chuck went on Space Mountain and the rest of us went shopping. I didn’t find anything that I wanted which was very disappointing. I kept looking for this one particular long sleeved t. It was white with red Mickey snowflakes inside a Mickey head. They didn’t have my size. In fact we couldn’t even find it on line. We went on Carousel of Progress and it didn’t turn, so we saw the same one twice. After that it did go back to normal. I remember seeing this at the 64 World’s Fair. Yeah, I’m old.

Back to Fantasy Land and went to Haunted Mansion. We all love this ride. After that we had a wonderful lunch at Pecos Bills. Great burgers there.

Now it was time for Pirates of the Caribbean. Everyone loves this. The kids wanted to go up in the tree house, so the adults sat and rested. It had drizzled in the morning but was clear now. After exploring the tree house we went on the Christmas version of the Jungle Cruise. The jokes were a bit different for the holiday, but very funny.

We had dinner at the new Skippers cantina. That was some really good food. We were all impressed. Now it was time to get our party bands. YAYYYYY it’s time for the party.

We did so many rides and then we stopped for free egg nog and sugar cookies, peppermint bark cookies and hot chocolate. Not all at the same time of course, but a different times throughout the night. Our favorite was the peppermint bark cookies. We could have eaten dozens of those cookies.

Karen took the kids to see the castle shows while Chuck and I went on some rides with hardly any lines. It was a tough choice for me and I wish I could have done both. We went on the stand by line for Peter Pan. We had never done that and it was beautiful. Lots of paintings to look at and made walking to the ride very enjoyable. Peter Pan is my all time favorite ride. I always have to wave bye bye to Nana. See I told you I’m 5 years old.

We then went on the Dwarves Mine Train and then relaxed on the People Mover. It’s really pretty at night. Now it’s time for FIREWORKS!

We were on the side of the castle and it was just spectacular. Half way through Chuck took the kids in the back of the castle while I stayed where I was. Next time I will go back there. It’s the perfect place to see fireworks all around you.

It was time to head back to the house. It was after midnight and the kids were falling asleep in the short ride back. I wasn’t far behind. This trip I didn’t seem to have time to write up my report every night. I was always after midnight by the time we got back. I’ve had to rely on my scribbled notes. This was another wonderful day.

enhance

enhance

enhance

Thx for sharing. Looks like a spectacular time was had by all. Beautiful family as well. I love making those family memories. :flower1::love:

December 7 – Today is Animal Kingdom day. As usual we started the day at Chik Fil A. Karen took Jesse on the Jungle Trek. Chuck and Karen had done it before and I stayed with Chuck and Zoey for this time. Karen said that Jesse did a great job of going on the rope bridge and watching the animals and learning new things.

When they came back we all went on Dino Twirl and Chuck and I went to see Flights of Wonder. Karen doesn’t like that so she took Zoey to see something else. My notes for this are a bit sketchy. But after that we all got together for the Jungle Safari. We saw so many animals this time. It seemed they all decided to give us a show this morning.

We had a nice lunch at the Flame Tree and then let the kids go crazy at the Bone Yard. Sometimes you just have to let the kids run. After that we went on Expedition Everest. I sat with Jesse and we screamed together. LOL The Yeti ALMOST got us.

We had dinner at Yak and Yeti. That is always enjoyable. We went on Dinosaur and then hit the stores. I was looking for owl earrings and I did find a pair. I just love owls.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

December 8 – Epcot day. Karen had thought she booked the Candlelight Processional when she booked our dinner at La Hacienda. But there was some mix up and she didn’t get the whole package. We went to Guess Services and we got it all straightened out. We stopped in Mousegears and I got a pretty white sweater with snowflakes on it. It was so soft. I love it.

We went on Test Track again and Chuck made another totally ridiculous car. We rode it and his car came in last. How strange. Zoey really loves this ride now and loves to put her arms up.

Our next stop was Imagination. The kids liked it, but when I remember the original, well there is no comparison. I hope they redo it again with a bit more, well, imagination.

We had lunch at the Land. Chuck went to eat in Mexico again. I love eating at the Land. In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever had a bad meal anywhere in the World. Chuck took Jesse over to Mission Space while Karen, Zoey and I waited for The American Sound Machine which was now at the fountain. It’s an a Capella group and they are fantastic. After their show we enjoyed the Joy Gospel singers. Oh that was so wonderful. It made my heart happy.

We all got together and heard the Voices of Liberty before we went into the American Adventure. Another enjoyable show.

We had a wonderful dinner at La Hacienda and then Chuck to Jesse to go on some rides while Karen, Zoey and I got in line for the Candlelight Processional. This was Karen’s first time seeing it. Ron and I used to see it before it was so popular and before the dinner package. We would wait in line and sometimes we got to see two show, one standing in line and the other sitting inside the theater. Those days are long gone. The choir was absolutely amazing as always. The narrator was someone I never heard of, but he did a great job.

We all got together and saw the fireworks and then headed back home. Another late night but just so wonderful.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

December 9 – This can’t be our last day. NOPE! I won’t believe it. Can’t we live here? No, I guess all good things must come to an end. This is Magic Kingdom day. Our first ride was Buzz Lightyear. I think Chuck and Jesse would ride this all day if we let them. We took our last relaxing ride on the People Mover and our last ride on Carousel of Progress. The kids wanted to do the Speedway and Chuck took them while Karen and I sat down and people watched.

We went on The Little Mermaid which Zoey just loves. We just had a snack for lunch. We were saving up our appetites for dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern. In October when we booked, Matthew got in the way and they had closed.

We let the kids play at the Dumbo ride and then we went on our last ride on Peter Pan. Bye Bye Nana for another couple of years.

We had to ride It’s a Small World once this time. We all still love this ride.

Now it was time for our dinner at Liberty Tree Tavern. Oh my gosh the food is so good here. We had extras of the turkey and stuffing and mashed potatoes. I don’t know where I put it all. Well, yes I do, right on my hips, but it’s so worth it.

Our very last ride was Haunted Mansion. Goodbye 999 happy haunts. We’ll see you in a couple of years.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Now these next two pictures need a bit of a story. After the kids had told Santa what they wanted, it was Grandmom's turn. I said, "Santa, I have been very good this year. I want to be tall, thin and rich for Christmas." Santa said, "Well, there are some things even Santa can't accomplish." LOL

enhance

enhance

enhance

December 10 – We have an early flight and were at the airport by 5am. Security was quick. We didn’t have to remove our shoes or take out our laptops. Before we knew it we boarded.

We were home by 10 and add another hour to get our luggage and drive me home and for Chuck to take in my luggage and haul it upstairs for me. I just made the weight limit coming home.

This was such happy and exciting trip. I’m sad to see it end. We had three trips this year. The two week trip in February, the 5 days in October to see the Halloween party and here in December to see the Christmas party.

A BIG thank you to Chuck and Karen for all the planning and getting reservations and Fast Passes. Also a BIG thank you for taking such good care of me.

Hope you enjoyed reading.

Great TR! Love all the wonderful photos! :thumbsup2 You're really not going back for 2 years? :eek:

Thanks for reading BellaBaby. Unfortunately, yes, it will be two years before we can go back. This year we did a trip for two weeks in February, 5 days for the Octoberfest and food and Wine Festival and the December trip for the Christmas party. The grandkids have never been to either so we decided to splurge this year. It will be back to two weeks every two years again. I'm going to start my countdown clock again. I'll just guess at the days in February until I know for sure.

What a great trip report. I remember you from the community board. So happy that you have such a nice family. I have never seen so many smiling faces, looks like the trip was a complete success. PS-I love the sleeping photos. Your DIL seems like she has a great sense of humor.

Last edited:
Sounds like you had another great trip! Lots of fun pics. Love the cute Christmas tops and skirts. I have been at Christmas a couple times but haven't seen the Candlelight processional, need to remedy that soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter