family time

mom4fun

DIS Veteran
We will be sailing on the dream in March. My Dh and Ds age 12, and I want to do things as a family. Will there be plenty to do w/o having to split up?:goodvibes

We will be sailing on the dream in March. My Dh and Ds age 12, and I want to do things as a family. Will there be plenty to do w/o having to split up?:goodvibes

There is tons to do on the ship as a family or by splitting up. We went on the Disney Dream a year ago and we always attended the shows together, we did like towel folding class, character signings, the pool, the sports deck to play mini golf, and probably much more that we didn't go to or I can't remember. At the time, my DD was 9, and my DS was 3. All they have talked about for the last year was that cruise. So now for Christmas we are surprising them with a cruise on the Disney Magic the first of January. Now the DD will be 11, and DS will be 5. I am really looking forward to this next cruise!

Last year on the Dream, we did alot together. Excursions, pool, aquaduck, detective game, exploring, eating, etc. However, our girls did like to spend their own time at the club together. They are both 11 (were 10 at the time) and we pretty much spend all of our time as a family together, when not in school/work normally, so we assumed we would do the same on the boat. But my husband and I did find ourselves at a loss of what to do when they wanted to leave us and go off on their own to the club. LOL! We're leaving on the Fantasy this weekend and they're already really excited about the Edge so I think we might see less of them. They're tweens now so I'm expecting, sadly, that they don't want to be with me 24/7 ;)

In addition to what PPs have mentioned there was usually a 7:30pm dance party at one of the nightclubs that we loved going to each night as a family. It was right between dinner and the show which was nice (or show and dinner if you have second seating). On our last two sailings the evening entertainer did a family show in the early evening or afternoon (Jeff the Juggler did a 1pm show the other shows were around 7pm). You really have to check the navigator and plan accordingly. We would schedule pool and open house club time around the family events. A couple times we would even watch a movie in our stateroom with some snacks from room service (Mickey Bars, wings, cookies, etc.). You will have plenty to do together :)

Theres a lot to do on the ships as a family. Theres character drawings, the Aquaduck, character drawing classes, mini golf phot ops, any number of things. Read and reread your navigator. It will tell you when and where everything is. My kids were 11 and 10 on the Fantasy in March and we had a lot of family time together and a lot of time the kids were in the clubs.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Maybe he will want to go to edge. I just know he is kind of shy and will be alone. I guess we will see. Either way sounds like a lot to do.

There was only one activity when we split up and that was the "Art of the Theme Ship" tour. The tour is for people 18 yrs+ so I went one day & my DH went the following day. Other than that, we were together with plenty of family activities to do, more than we could ever fit in!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter