family suites/free dining

LucyMEWS

Earning My Ears
Family suites/free dining

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, I thought I knew the answer to this, but I'm more confused after talking to the reservation desk at WDW.

It'll be me, DH, and DD4 and DD6. (8-11-07 to 8-24-07) I had considered 2 standard adjoining rooms at ASMu using a AAA discount($1927 room only). They said that they couldn't guarantee adjoining rooms even in the case of small children- not what I wanted to hear. I also understand that IF the free dining plan was to be offered, the AAA discount could not be applied to a ticket/dining deal.

Then I considered booking a family suite at the ASMu. It would be $2630 - no AAA discount could be used for it.

Now here is where my confusion starts. I had read more than once in these threads that a free dining plan (IF offered) could not be applied to WDW suites. When I asked the CM on the phone about this, she said that IF offered, the free dining plan CAN be applied to my suite package. I called back another time and got told the same thing by a different CM (of course with no guarantee that the free dining would be offered again for those dates, but she seemed to be very optimistic).

I'm not sure yet of what I want to do. Obviously free food would trump the AAA discount...but has anyone actually been able to GET the free DP with a family suite ressie? Should I reserve a suite now and hope to be able to add tickets/free ding IF it comes up?

Decisions...decisions...thanks for any advice.

I actually tried to book one during free dining this year and couldn't - family suites were not included. Of course it's Disney so everything is subject to change. Good luck. Hope you can - would be a sweet deal!!!

:confused3 Thanks for replying...That's what I was afraid of. I don't want to wait until April just to find out that the answer is "no" to getting a free dining plan then. I have read that connecting standard rooms CAN be guaranteed if for adults with minor children. But the CM I talked to said there were no guarantees even with a 4 and a 6 year-old. (Maybe not minor enough, huh?) . So I'm back to square one. Cheaper AAA discounted 2 standards connecting vs a family suite? If the free dining isn't available, the choice would be much easier. I just would hate to not book now and find out all the suites are taken in April. Maybe we should all squoosh together in one standard room. (But, boy, 2 bathrooms would be heavenly!)

It seems to me that the ressie CM's don't really have all the info that they should have. (Maybe this forum should be mandatory reading!) Not once did they say "I'm not sure" ...it was always a convincing "yes" or "no" (Except for whether or not Free DP would happen again).

Anyone else been turned down for free dining after booking suites? Anyone had a CM guarantee connecting rooms when traveling with minor children? :confused3 :crazy:

Call back; if you told again that you cannot be guaranteed adjoining rooms, ask to speak to the cm's supervisor. On the reservation, you need to put one adult/one child per room. Even then, more than likely when you check in, your request would be accommodated.

Disney will guarantee connecting rooms at the value resorts if the number of children in your party is greater than the number of adults. This is, however, not the case at All Star Music since that resort offers options that can accomodate your party size (assuming you have 6 or less traveling).

We usually request adjoining rooms since its my sis, me, brother-in-law and three nieces/nephews. So it is nice, because someone can share my room and even though it is guaranteed we have never had a problem. I would not worry about it. Make a note of it, and I think you will be fine!

First, in different posts the OP refers to "adjoining" and "connecting" rooms.

ALL hotel guests anywhere should be aware that (at least in the hospitality industry) adjoining means rooms that are next to or near each other, while connecting means there's a door between the two rooms that allows access to both rooms without going into the public hallway/walkway. HUGE difference. All connecting rooms are adjoining, but NOT all adjoining rooms are connecting.

As for guaranteed connecting rooms? Well, while naturally a couple might want to stay in one room and put all the kids next door, in reality the adults may need to split up, dividing minors between two non-connecting rooms. I think the ONLY time connecting can be absolutely guaranteed is if there is only ONE adult traveling with enough minors that two rooms are a necessity.

LucyMEWS said:
It seems to me that the ressie CM's don't really have all the info that they should have. (Maybe this forum should be mandatory reading!) Not once did they say "I'm not sure" ...it was always a convincing "yes" or "no" (Except for whether or not Free DP would happen again).
Well, think about it. In late summer 2006, the Family Suites were (a) relatively new and (b) not all completed yet. MAYBE in 2007, IF the free dining is offered, these rooms will be included. Maybe not. Were suites at the other Disney resorts eligible for free dining? Are Guests in suites eligible to purchase the DDP?
As for CMs not having 'all the info that they should', well, what they DO have is the OFFICIAL Disney information. Sure, if you don't like a response ask for a supervisor - but most likely what you'd still get is the ACTUAL status, vs what is "known", surmised, assumed, whatever - on this board.

All of the previously connecting rooms at All Star Music are being converted to the family suites, so the CM was correct, that they cannot guarantee connecting rooms at this particular resort. So you can request connecting rooms at another value resort, just not at Music.

On the question of the free dining and the family suites, they didn't offer the free dining with the family suite room category this year, but who knows what will happen in the future. In any case, you won't be able to combine any other discounts with a free dining promo, if they are to offer it again.

Happy planning!

Meredith

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter