Family suing Disney

Cool-Beans said:
So, I'd like an explanation as to why. What is the ride doing differently than other spinning rides and rollercoasters?

It has been explained SEVERAL times in this thread.

(look for any post involving g-force)

But it is not just MS. Star Tours and Indiana Jones have had their fair share of injuries. I could do a web search, but many rides have injured many people.

Give up on CB ya'll it's over "their" hedge....

and on the local news its being talked about and they are suing for "could have done a better job at warning the public"

PPPPPLEASE! How about the mom making the decision for her child....just because someone meets the height requirement doesn't mean squat. And what price for their son's life would be sufficient? Come on...

Cool-Beans said:
No, I like wild rides. I can ride anything in the world except M:S. Some rides I don't like, but they don't throw me for a loop, as it were. :)

It just seems to me that a lot of people get sick on M:S. There have been a gazillion threads on these boards about it. Some (like me) who can ride anything get socked. Others who report normally having motion sickness problems say they did fine. It just doesn't make sense.

So, I'd like an explanation as to why. What is the ride doing differently than other spinning rides and rollercoasters?

How come I couldn't breathe, but others who can't even ride the Teacups do fine? :confused3

Google G-forces, there are lots and lots of things that can explain why sustained g-forces affect you different than roller coaster short type g- forces. There was one articlew where they did research on the rides at Disney and Universal. (unofficial since both parks will not release information about the g-forces or any details about their rides)

this was posted on Fox 13:

FAMILY SUING AFTER CHILD'S DEATH ON EPCOT RIDE

The family of a four-year-old who died after a getting off a Disney world ride is suing the theme park. Daudi Bamuwamye fell unconscious on the Mission: Space ride at Epcot Center last year, and died a short time later. His family claims Disney didn't properly warn people of the dangers posed by the ride, which simulates a space launch. They've hired a Tampa attorney to represent them. A Disney spokeswoman says the ride has motion sickness bags and signs warning people with heart, back and neck problems not to ride.

yeartolate said:
But it is not just MS. Star Tours and Indiana Jones have had their fair share of injuries. I could do a web search, but many rides have injured many people.
Indiana Jones? Am I forgetting something, or are putting down the wrong name?

I haven't seen a lot of threads about any other ride where MANY people say they get sick on ONLY this ride, except for M:S.

I have to go to bed. Tomorrow is my last day off. I have to work three 7-7s this weekend at my pretend nursing job and can't get too off schedule.

I also apparently need to study to mechanical engineering in order to prove to internet people that I do the job I say I do. (I still don't get that comment. D-U-H, DUH!)

And by the way, I do my job well. I often take the "troublesome" patients for nurses who don't want them. I treat everyone with kindness and respect. I'm good when a code is called, and I'm good to sit by a bedside for a minute. I never sit around complaining.

More than once, I've been asked by doctors, nurses, staff to help out with their sick relatives. There is no greater compliment.

I go to visit all my old patients at the VA (well, the ones who aren't dead) just because I like them and they could use the visitor.

I treat my Panic Attack patients like all others. I've heard them describe these things, and I feel sorry for them and those of you that have them. Doesn't sound fun.

and they are from Penn and live in Penn (or some other place North of FL) YET itsa Tampa atty??

What's up with that?

Cool-Beans said:
I haven't seen a lot of threads about any other ride where MANY people say they get sick on ONLY this ride, except for M:S.

Is that what you are basing your stats on the MS ride on? Threads from people stating they have been sick?

Oh and BTW....I also work for a hospital and hopefully your code of ethics/conduct requires you to treat patients a certain way....and "being good when a code is called"...well, that's part of the job right? not a choice?

lillygator said:
Is that what you are basing your stats on the MS ride on? Threads from people stating they have been sick?

Oh and BTW....I also work for a hospital and hopefully your code of ethics/conduct requires you to treat patients a certain way....and "being good when a code is called"...well, that's part of the job right? not a choice?
No, when someone codes isn't when you're being nice to them. You're just working. And not everyone is good at it, or even likes it. People have different strengths.

No code of ethics can make a person care. If you work in a hospital, you see nurses who are not nice to the patients. You know, even if you're just there to pick up a check, you could still be nice to the pts! Although, we do have one girl who is just as big a witch as she can be to almost everyone who works there, but is sweet as pie to the pts. I guess all kinds are there to be found.

My point was that I'm good at many facets of my job. And that I treat people (ALL people) well. That was called into question earlier. I think it might have been LindsayDunn, but don't remember.

There aren't many things I'm good at. In fact, other than nursing, math, and taking care of kids, there isn't ANYTHING I'm good at. But I'm really good at my job and proud of it. So, I'll brag a little.

Now I'm off to bed. :wave2:

Cool-Beans said:
There aren't many things I'm good at. In fact, other than nursing, math, and taking care of kids, there isn't ANYTHING I'm good at.

well - have you done the "math" regarding MS?

Someone mentioning "proximate cause" here brings up another thought that might explain the apparent "hail Mary" nature of this case. As I earlier mentioned, I was on a jury in a medical malpractice case here last month. I'm not sure if Florida law is close to Michigan law with regard to awarding damages, but if it is, then the parents' case make more legal "sense". We were instructed that per Michigan tort law: If an outcome (like death) can be attributed partly to a pre-existing condition and partly to the actions of another party (defendent) then - a) if the jury can determine that X% of the outcome was due to the pre-existing condition and Y% was due to the actions of the defendent, then the jury may only award Y% of the total damages asked for by the Plantiff, b) HOWEVER, if the jury cannot reasonable make a determination of what percent of the outcome is due to the pre-existing condition vs. the actions of the Defendant, then the jury MUST, by law, award 100% of the damages from the Defendant.

Again, if Florida works like Michigan and the parents' lawyer can convince the jury that Disney was only slightly at fault, and they can get the jury to believe that you can't reasonably say how much of the death was due to the heart condition vs. the actions of Disney, they still could stick Disney for 100% of their demands even if the jury felt that Disney's responsibility was very small.

Also, back to the charge floated about 10 pages ago that M:S is "killing people"... Every year a handful of high school/college athletes collapse and die on basketball courts due to previously undiscovered heart conditions. While in the case of both the deaths of the basketball players and the 4 year old boy their heart failure may have been triggered by the physical stress of the game/attraction, it would be equally non-sense to run around saying that basketball was "killing people".

and lately we also hear of more deaths in FL (especially) athletes due to the "heat"....who do we sue then?

Nancy said:
Google G-forces, there are lots and lots of things that can explain why sustained g-forces affect you different than roller coaster short type g- forces. There was one articlew where they did research on the rides at Disney and Universal. (unofficial since both parks will not release information about the g-forces or any details about their rides)

that's because parks contract out the attractions. they're protecting the rides designers and confidentiality. Universal, WDW, Busch Gardens, etc. the rides are carefully tested, retested, and walked before being put into operation for the day.

safety guidelines and height restrictions come from the manufacturer itself, not the parks. but it is up to the parks to enforce them. the positive, negative, and lateral g forces of a ride are pretty much trade secrets.

the CAD software used to design M:S could tell the engineers exactly what levels of g forces would be exerted before the machine was ever built. after a 100 million dollar investment, Disney surely ran outside testing using dummies to make sure those tolerances were accurate after it was completed.

these aren't carnival midway attractions.

Cool-Beans said:
My point was that I'm good at many facets of my job. And that I treat people (ALL people) well. That was called into question earlier. I think it might have been LindsayDunn, but don't remember.
I didn't say it, I was just agreeing with the poster who did. You talked about being "off in the head" concerning panic attacks. I thought that was inappropriate coming from a nurse.

lillygator said:
and lately we also hear of more deaths in FL (especially) athletes due to the "heat"....who do we sue then?
You'd sue Mother Nature .. but she's one tough cookie to get ahold of! :rotfl2:

Or, maybe you should sue Adidas, Nike, Reebok, New Balance or whatever sneaker brand the athlete's wearing b/c maybe if they were in a different sneaker, this wouldn't have happened to begin with. While we're at it, if there's any company tied to the sporting event, include them in the lawsuit.

Someone asked why these people aren't suing the ride manufacturer. Simple -- b/c they don't have as much $$ as Disney does!

Cool Beans, why would you not inquire about what happened with a doctor- I always thought nurses came into contact with many doctors- do you not know any that you could just pose a question to? Wht would it hurt? You seem to want to know, but haven't even attempted to talk to a doctor. Even I know one and I am not a nurse or in the medical profession.

Cool-Beans said:
But you don't claim that you never have motion sickness problems. THAT is the difference.

Never heard anyone say they can ride spinning rides and rollercoasters, but not the Teacups.

You have never been on the teacups with my DH.

ExPirateShopGirl said:
This will not go to trial. Disney's liability insurer has a duty to defend them in matters like this and will, in all likelihood, offer a cash settlement (a guesstimated figure based on a percentage of what it would cost to go to trial and lose) in exchange for the family dropping the lawsuit and agreeing to bring no further action on the matter. In doing so, Disney admits no wrongdoing and the insurer saves the cost of going to trial and, possibly, a large award. It's a business decision, and the attorney who filed the suit on behalf of the parents did so knowing exactly this.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled squabble...

;)

Disney is self insured. They do not have a carrier. They do have a cadre of lawyers that work full time to deal with issues such as this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter