• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

"Family Style" for Solo Travelers

keahgirl8

DIS Veteran
Have any of you eaten solo at the restaurants that serve family style? How much food do they bring? Is it a huge waste? Do they let you take the leftovers? I've always wondered that.

Hi, I've eaten solo at Garden Grill probably three times. I like a lot of salad so I actually asked for seconds on that. But I did find there was too much of just about everything else. I didn't ask to take the leftovers, because it would be awkward to carry them around Epcot, and without refrigeration (unless you bring a portable cooler of some kind), and also because on the other days I had other restaurants planned so I wouldn't have had a chance to eat the leftovers anyway.

If this is a major concern for you then you could probably just ask them to bring you smaller portions in the first place.

I did Ohana solo twice this year so far and being solo there is good because while it is "family style", the portions are not served like garden grill or liberty tavern they are portioned out based on the number of guests and then served so you'll only get enough for yourself. You can always ask for more of anything you want. I personally think that's one of the best kept Disney dining secrets. I always did breakfast there before stitch and lilo took it over but never did dinner until one night I was talking to a friend who tends bar at tambu and he actually set me up to eat right at the bar which they typically do not do and I enjoyed it so much I started making it a regular stop on my solo trips. Great chicken and steak. Good dumplings too. Coconut bread and.... okay everything's good. Happy dining.

I did Ohana solo twice this year so far and being solo there is good because while it is "family style", the portions are not served like garden grill or liberty tavern they are portioned out based on the number of guests and then served so you'll only get enough for yourself. You can always ask for more of anything you want. I personally think that's one of the best kept Disney dining secrets. I always did breakfast there before stitch and lilo took it over but never did dinner until one night I was talking to a friend who tends bar at tambu and he actually set me up to eat right at the bar which they typically do not do and I enjoyed it so much I started making it a regular stop on my solo trips. Great chicken and steak. Good dumplings too. Coconut bread and.... okay everything's good. Happy dining.

The bread pudding... I don't think I'll be going to Ohana next year, but I am planning to go to the bar and get dessert!

I find the portions they bring for 2 people to be way too much food but what they bring out for someone solo is probably a hair too much but it doesn't feel like waste to me. I've never run into any restaurant that can't handle 1 person eating anything on the menu.

Another person here that has eating dinner at Ohana solo and I really enjoyed it. As the previous poster mentioned they will continually bring you as much as you want to eat but I don't think you can take anything home or at least I've never asked. I did not think it was a huge waste because the food was good and I was definitely not hungry for a long time. Dang now I'm getting hungry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter