Family sayings!

Any and everytime we would ask mom "What's for dinner?" she would reply

"Liver and spinach and prunes".

The favorite thing my grandmother says every time she is mad at any man "Men are only good for 3 things opening doors, jars and your eyes."

My Grandma always used the phrase mean as a hant, hant pronounced with a long A. I never knew what a hant was but I sure was scared of the them!

In college I took a class on vernacular and dialect and finally learned a hant was an old southern word for an evil or mischevious ghost.

I use it all the time now when DH or DD is being obnoxious. They both look at me like I'm crazy:rotfl:

My Dad has always said "Feet don't have eyes" whenever one of us would stub a toe. I actually said it to my boss one day when she banged her foot on her desk. :lmao: She just laughed at me.

That's cute. :)

Some more:

"If a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his butt so much."

"Let's see...the last time I wore your shoes..." (as a reply to "Mom, where are my shoes?")

"He'll kill ya soon as look at ya" (from To Kill a Mockingbird)

"You're as funny as a rubber crutch" (said sarcastically)

And one I picked up from my best friend: "I don't chew my cabbage twice" - if someone asks you to repeat yourself.

You all are cracking me up. These are so funny. My family has a ton of sayings. Here's the ones I can remember off the top of my head.

When someone asks where you're going: 'I'm going to see a man about a dog'. But one time my daughter asked me and I really was going to see a man about a dog!!! LOL

My mom to her daycare kids: 'Your epidermis is showing'.

Anytime someone is telling a story: 'How you going to haul it?'
Long story behind this saying.

My grandma when I had just had a newborn: 'Sometimes you'd give them a hammer and mirror just to get them quiet!'

My grandma: 'People just need to quit their messing around.' This can apply to any situation. My DH and I say it to each other all the time.

My BIL: 'There's going to be some changes made starting right now'.

My sister: 'It is what it is.'

My mom: 'It sure is coming down thick outside.'

My mom: 'I can tell you don't know how to set a line.'

Guy at work: 'He's got sugar in his britches.'

Another one:

My stepdad always answers a "Do you know..." question with, "No, but if you hum a few bars (I might be able to figure it out)"

For example, "You know the blue house on the corner...?" "No, but if you hum a few bars..." Or "Do you know the name of the game?" "No, but if you hum a few bars..."

Now I want to hear the story!

When my son was 4 or 5, he wrote a letter to Santa, with that as a post script.

Now whenever we have an opinion on something, we say it in the form of a letter, and always include that PS ("Dear Brett Favre, Retire already. PS You really need to shave.")

A thing of things.

This was code for "Mother, please make sure we buy feminine hygiene products the next time we go to the store." My father thought that getting your period was something to torture his all female family with and we don't know why to this day. He was horrible about it and would tease us and torment us to no end. So, we just didn't ever let on about it.

Our code was lollipops or chocolate bars (depending on which type we wanted). I aaked my mom infront of a friend to be sure toget me somelollipops when she shopped and she came home with a bag of dum-dums!!:lmao:

He's so dumb, he couldn't pour "pee" out of a boot with the instructions printed on the bottom.

"I was sweatin like a hog at a weenie roast"
"You make a better door than a window."
"Tables are for glasses, not a$$es."
When asked what's for dinner "Frog toes and turtle tongues."

When someone is whining: "Get down off the cross honey, somebody needs the wood."

To the PP who talked about quoting movies, we do that too! Whenever we've had a really good day and it's over, kids are asleep, and we are finally mellow: "Those were the salad days" (Raising Arizona".

A pp said this but my grandmother was also big on "wish in one hand, pish in the other!" said when we were pining for something.

When asking what was for dinner, grandma (and mom) always, always said "Egolia!" I have no idea what this means, and neither does my mom. She is pretty sure it is a not family-friendly response from my old-world Italian grandma (long gone).

When us kids did something less-than-brilliant, Mom or Dad would remark that we were about "as sharp as a mashed potato sandwich". Still use this on our kids.

And the one I've never been able to find someone who has heard/used is, when asking a question with an obvious answer (like "what are you doing" to someone who is watching tv), the answer is always "putting bananas in the refrigerator!" No idea what this means either!

"You'll get hydraphobia of the bunghole!"

bunghole! I haven't heard that word in forever!! :lmao::lmao:

My Grandmother used to say to my mother and sisters: "none of you will be hung for your beauty" keeping them humble

my mother has always sadly complained that her mother would try to keep them 'humble' too, by replying when they asked if they looked ok (even if they were dressed up to go to a dance), "you'll get by in a crowd with a shove". My mother has always had a poor image of herself because of this upbringing, and she's a beautiful woman, but cannot see it or feel it.

When we would ask our parents where we were going, the answer was "Up a cat's hiney to see if it's dark."

what??? :lmao::lmao:

Our code was lollipops or chocolate bars (depending on which type we wanted).

smaaaaaart!!!! and very funny!!!!

My Nana used to say "hay is for horses!!" if you dared to say "hey" in front of her.

My mom used to say "oye, vey, shmeerzzz" when she was annoyed (I have NO idea where that came from). Doesn't it sound Jewish? She's Italian.

In my house now, we'll (dh, myself, dd and ds) often say "Momma says" from an Adam Sandler movie. Sometimes you add in "xxx is the devil!" - Kathy Bates character in the same movie (Water Boy?)

DD and I say "waste not, want not" (from learning about the depression). So it's not a funny one, but it's a good one to pass on.

We all say "you brought it upon yourself, just like the white man" referring to a book the kids and I read about Sitting Bull (ds9 is usually the one this is pointed to, as he's always getting himself in some kind of kid trouble) :rotfl:

It's actually funny how this saying, more than anything else, makes him stop and think about what he's done.

My dh has said many times "if *if's and buts* were candy and nuts, we'd all have a wonderful Christmas"... to which I replied "what are you, 90 years old?!?!" (after I stopped laughing at him). He's 45. I think he got the saying from his grandma (which is sweet actually).

We'll all occasionally say "opps! I cr.....ed my pants", from an SNL skit.

"Just like this" in reply to someone asking you why.

example: Me -" Why did Mom go to the store?"
Gram - "Just like this" aka : no particular reason

My aunt used to babysit us during the day over summer break and we would ask her what's for lunch. Her response would be. "Sh*t on a shingle"

My grandmother had a few sayings in Polish. I could imitate her phonetically but can't for the life of me spell them correctly in Polish.

A mild exclamation similar to "drats" or "darn" was "O sa-led-a" which meant "Oh celery". Don't know why it was celery instead of carrots or asparagus.

If she was really exasperated at someone: "yay-ko ko-hon-ya". Nobody ever told me what it meant. It was probably an obscenity.

Some long saying about an irritating or stupid or busybody nosey lady translated loosely to "silly old woman can't sing and fart at the same time."

Jim

"Ridiculous points" are awarded for doing something off-color or ridiculous during a sad or awkward situation. I got ridiculous points for crying in the college computer lab when my sister tried to help me review for the math portion of a placement test. I also got them for making a joke after visiting my Gma in the intensive care unit. She was mentally "gone" and it was very sad. As we walked to the car, my dad said if he ever got like that, someone should just hold a pillow over his face. I looked at my mom and said, "But you have to wait until he gets like that," and everyone burst out laughing.
"Brass knuckles" is used to describe things that people just won't give up on. DS was about 8 and saw brass knuckles in a junk store in TN. Obviously, I wouldn't buy them. He whined about it all day, saying he would pay me back, never use them, ask Gma for them for his bday. I almost strangled him by the end of the day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter