Family of the week...

AboutAMouse

Earning My Ears
Out of curiosity, if you have ever been chosen as family of the week... what did that entail for you?

My family was " family of the day" on our first Disney cruise on the a Dream in March 2013. It was a fun experience but it all happened so quickly. We were chosen when we were checking in. Right after we were taken to a reserved table by the entrance way to the ship and told what would happen. We had a few special pictures taken with Mickey and Minnie and received a certificate. After that we waited back at the reserved table. Once it was time to board, they made a special announcement to introduce us as "family of the day" and we were the first family on the ship (after the concierge families). It was a great experience for our first DCL cruise!

We were chosen as Family of the Day on one of the NYC cruises to Canada. It was basically the same experience as above, although I don't know that I saw anyone except crew members getting on before us. We also were the only ones able to take a picture with both Uncle Sam Mickey and Statue of Liberty Minnie (they were switching out characters in the terminal, but allowed us to get a picture with both Mickey and Minnie before Mickey left).

That particular sailing, we were there early, and my daughters were wearing tie dye Mickey head t-shirts and their Minnie Mouse ear hats. I don't know how much effect that had on our being chosen, but there were not as many people dressed in all their gear in the Manhattan terminal.

We were chosen as Family of the Day for our first cruise in Sept. We had the same experience as above but we boarded before concierge. We also jumped to the front of the line for kids club registration. We arrived at the port early but did not wear anything special or even Disney related.

Wow so cool! I have never heard of this. I think because of our family size (4 children) that we do not get chosen for anything. It is usually the 2 kid families. It seems almost everything is made for a family of 4! My kids would love this though!! I can dream and hope for a little pixie dust. pixiedust:

Wow so cool! I have never heard of this. I think because of our family size (4 children) that we do not get chosen for anything. It is usually the 2 kid families. It seems almost everything is made for a family of 4! My kids would love this though!! I can dream and hope for a little pixie dust. pixiedust:

Our family was picked for family of the day on our cruise last August. We have four children. It was such fun. We got our picture taken with Minnie and Mickey and were the first to board the ship. They made a big announcement in the terminal (Barcelona) for everyone to welcome us as the family of the day. My children really enjoyed it. We also received a magic moment certificate. :)

I was posing the question because we got off of The Wonder last week (Feb 2nd sailing) and on the first night we got a letter in our stateroom saying "Congratulations! Out of 2700 passengers, your family has been chosen as family of the week!" I don't remember the exact wording (letter is at home!) but it said there would be special and exciting things awaiting us throughout the week and we would be hearing from someone real soon. And we never did :(

On the last evening I had to go to guest services for something and while there I asked about it. The girl at the desk greatly apologized and said she'd look into it. That night we got a bottle of non-alcoholic cider and a bean bag Mickey in our room.

Mid-week my parents in the room beside us had gotten a bottle of wine and a Perry the Platypus for my son because they had problems with the sofa bed and fridge.

Not that we necessarily expected anything, but we were a little disappointed that we got this letter telling us to expect exciting things through out the week, and then nothing. It felt like they forgot about us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter