Family of six

ltkl7

Earning My Ears
We are looking at coming to Disney in August if I can talk my wife into it. We have never stayed on property before. Usually we stay at Windsor Hills and get a condo. The condos are great and inexpensive but we would like to stay on property for change.

We can't break the bank and would have to stay at either Disney Art of Animation or Pop resort. Both have suites that sleep six.

My question is are the suites really big enough to sleep six. It is my wife and I. My son 15, and three daughters 13,5 and 4.

We are looking at coming to Disney in August if I can talk my wife into it. We have never stayed on property before. Usually we stay at Windsor Hills and get a condo. The condos are great and inexpensive but we would like to stay on property for change.

We can't break the bank and would have to stay at either Disney Art of Animation or Pop resort. Both have suites that sleep six.

My question is are the suites really big enough to sleep six. It is my wife and I. My son 15, and three daughters 13,5 and 4.

Art of Animation has family suites but Pop Century does not, the other value resort that has the family suites is All Star Music. I know they are supposed to sleep 6 but I have never stayed in them.

With those ages I would think the suites at All Star Music might work better than AOA. I have not stayed at ASMu but from what I understand it is a queen bed in a bedroom, 2 pull out chair beds ( 1 for each of your older children) and then a double size pull out couch for the younger two.

AOA was nice but it is one queen and 2 double size pull outs.

The ages of your children, and willingness to share beds is going to play into your decision. AofA has a large bedroom with a queen size bed. The other beds are a pull out couch (2 could share) and the Murphy bed (2 small children could share).

I liked that even with the beds out, there was enough room to move around. I also liked that the Murphy bed and pull out couch were a ways away from each other. My kids didn't feel like they were on too of each other. Two bathrooms were fabulous! So were two places to hang clothes (hanging rod in bedroom, and living room area).

We enjoyed the pools, food court, and arcade at AofA. We thought the bus service was great too.

Years ago we stayed at ASMuFS and it was great because we have two girls and a boy . Each had their own sleeping space with the two pull down chairs and the one double bed . I think if you have the little kids on the bed and the older two on the pull outs you will be fine in at All Star Music . I have never done AOA because now that the kids are older we stay in resorts they pick after going to DL this summer we are staying in The Contemporary for a few days but we are only a party of 5 .

You might also want to consider the cabins at FW. They sleep 6. They have a full kitchen and outside grill. You could save quite a bit of money by preparing many of your meals. If you don't have a car to stop for groceries, gardengrocer.com will deliver.

Have you looked into getting two rooms at one of the Value Resorts instead of a suite? Sometimes two connecting rooms actually comes out cheaper! For example, just looked at a random date in September. One room at All Star Movies is $98. A suite at AoA is $282! You could get two rooms and come out way ahead!

You might also want to consider the cabins at FW. They sleep 6. They have a full kitchen and outside grill. You could save quite a bit of money by preparing many of your meals. If you don't have a car to stop for groceries, gardengrocer.com will deliver.

I agree, the cabins have a set of bunk beds and a double bed in the bedroom and a Murphy bed in the living room. The full kitchen is great and the bathroom is a nice size.

Have you looked into getting two rooms at one of the Value Resorts instead of a suite? Sometimes two connecting rooms actually comes out cheaper! For example, just looked at a random date in September. One room at All Star Movies is $98. A suite at AoA is $282! You could get two rooms and come out way ahead!

Agreed. Two rooms almost always works out to be less $$ than a Family Suite. They get away with charging more for the Suites because it's the only way to guarantee your whole party will be together as connecting rooms are only a request.

Have you considered renting points from a dvc member. It can make it quite affordable and the accomadations are great. My kids favorite is actually OKW. Points needed is one of the lowest and the rooms are the biggest. Not sure what the current points chart looks like but we have never paid more than $10 a point. A 2 bdrm there is 1400 sq. feet of living space. If view is not important AKV can also be a low points option. This is my 18 yr olds favorite. Our next trip is to BWV. A standard view can be an option there. If you want info on renting points send me a private message. I have done it many times and am more than willing to help.

Have you considered renting points from a dvc member. It can make it quite affordable and the accomadations are great. My kids favorite is actually OKW. Points needed is one of the lowest and the rooms are the biggest. Not sure what the current points chart looks like but we have never paid more than $10 a point. A 2 bdrm there is 1400 sq. feet of living space. If view is not important AKV can also be a low points option. This is my 18 yr olds favorite. Our next trip is to BWV. A standard view can be an option there. If you want info on renting points send me a private message. I have done it many times and am more than willing to help.

Can you provide a little more information how this is done? I have never heard of this before. Thanks

Send me a pm and I will give you all the info. It is really quite easy. We have done it 8 times so far. SHould have bought into it by now. I have never had a problem. Do you have a resort preference. I will look up the points chart while waiting to hear from you. :cool1:

We're a family of 6 -- kids aged 15, 12, 10, 8. We stayed in a family suite (All Star Music) in March 2012 and had two rooms at Pop Century in March 2014. Hands down, getting 2 rooms at Pop was cheaper and more convenient than the family suite. After a few days, it just became a pain to open up the beds for the kids every night and folding them back up in the morning. Perhaps this wouldn't be such an inconvenience at AoA given the type of beds they provide in the kids area. One thing we did miss on our 2nd trip was having a microwave and coffee maker in the room, which came with the family suite. However, having well rested kids and generally more room was worth the trade-off! When I made the reservation, I indicated that we were a family of 6 staying in two rooms and requested connecting rooms. The WDW agent said "of course, families like yours who have to split up get priority for connecting rooms". (Note -- In Disney terms, connecting rooms have an interior door connecting the two rooms while adjoining rooms are next to each other with no interior connecting door.)

Send me a pm and I will give you all the info. It is really quite easy. We have done it 8 times so far. SHould have bought into it by now. I have never had a problem. Do you have a resort preference. I will look up the points chart while waiting to hear from you. :cool1:

Can you pm me the info?

We're a family of 6 -- kids aged 15, 12, 10, 8. We stayed in a family suite (All Star Music) in March 2012 and had two rooms at Pop Century in March 2014. Hands down, getting 2 rooms at Pop was cheaper and more convenient than the family suite. After a few days, it just became a pain to open up the beds for the kids every night and folding them back up in the morning. Perhaps this wouldn't be such an inconvenience at AoA given the type of beds they provide in the kids area. One thing we did miss on our 2nd trip was having a microwave and coffee maker in the room, which came with the family suite. However, having well rested kids and generally more room was worth the trade-off! When I made the reservation, I indicated that we were a family of 6 staying in two rooms and requested connecting rooms. The WDW agent said "of course, families like yours who have to split up get priority for connecting rooms". (Note -- In Disney terms, connecting rooms have an interior door connecting the two rooms while adjoining rooms are next to each other with no interior connecting door.)

We are also a family of 6 and have ALWAYS been given connecting rooms.

You had no need to fold up the beds in the morning. Housekeeping would have done it for you.:)

The cheapest way to go is 2 connecting non preferred rooms. Next cheapest is 2 connecting preferred rooms, then an All Star Family Suite. Note that depending on the time of year the Family Suite can be as little as $3 a night more than 2 connecting rooms. And if you utilize the kitchenette for simple meals you can actually save money. Microwave bacon, instant oatmeal, pop tarts are all things you can quickly heat up for breakfast.

You had no need to fold up the beds in the morning. Housekeeping would have done it for you.:)

The cheapest way to go is 2 connecting non preferred rooms. Next cheapest is 2 connecting preferred rooms, then an All Star Family Suite. Note that depending on the time of year the Family Suite can be as little as $3 a night more than 2 connecting rooms. And if you utilize the kitchenette for simple meals you can actually save money. Microwave bacon, instant oatmeal, pop tarts are all things you can quickly heat up for breakfast.

I know. :) But #1...I'm a bit of a neat freak and leaving the beds out made me a little crazy...and #2...There really was not much room to move in the room with the beds pulled out. With 6 of us...and 3 of whom are near or beyond 6' tall, space is a necessity!

Have you considered renting points from a dvc member. It can make it quite affordable and the accomadations are great. My kids favorite is actually OKW. Points needed is one of the lowest and the rooms are the biggest. Not sure what the current points chart looks like but we have never paid more than $10 a point.

I'm renting points for a stay next week. $10/point is VERY cheap and it not the norm. $11/point is the "cheap norm", but the more typical rate is $14/point, also note that you must pay in full up front, it is not refundable, and there is no daily housekeeping. Still, it can be an excellent option for larger families.

I have had several people only ask for a deposit and didn't require full payment till 2 weeks before the trip. Also depending on where people work if you post something on a board at work you would be amazed at how many people actually belong. Very often you can get a cheaper rate this way.

I'm renting points for a stay next week. $10/point is VERY cheap and it not the norm. $11/point is the "cheap norm", but the more typical rate is $14/point, also note that you must pay in full up front, it is not refundable, and there is no daily housekeeping. Still, it can be an excellent option for larger families.

The no daily housekeeping would kill me! Especially with 6 people there! :rotfl2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter