family of six....no kids' fare??

Originally posted by Dean
Cruises are set up, like most hotels, for four people generally. I don't see anything unfair about DCL setting the rules they go by. One can chose to go or not, depending on their preferences and choices. I don't understand when people feel they are entitled to a break just because their family is of a larger size. I don't have any problem asking about it and looking for a situation that works well for one's family, it's just that I don't understand the "it's unfair" approach. It's not unfair at all.

Not a "challenge to debate" but a question - do you travel with children or a large number?

I look at just how much does a child eat and how much space in a stateroom s/he occupies -

Yes, a personal choice but it would be nice to see a bit of a discount applied to those who do have large families.....

Rae

I just want to say that I don't expect to get a discount, from DCL or anywhere else, because I have a "large" family.

Having 4 children was MY choice and just because I chose to have a bigger family then most doesn't mean that I should have special discounts for me.
Is that fair to the people who choose to have 1 or 2 children that they DON'T get a discount?

Let me just say that we are by no means a wealthy family. We live in a tiny house (less then 1000 sq feet), and we don't drive "new" cars. My children don't lack for much, and this is the first vacation we've taken as a family and the first my DH and I have taken since our honeymoon (15 years!)
I had to book 2 rooms for my cruise. I chose to book a category 11, because it was the cheapest. There was a choice......do we want to take a vacation or not???

I don't want to start any hard feelings, but I don't understand why I've been reading about people complaining that they can't fit their whole family in 1 room.
Would it have been nice to get 1 room, *yes*, but again...it was MY choice to go on vacation, MY choice to have a large family, I don't expect the world to cater to me.

I priced it out (I don't remember the amount$), but it was cheaper <with 6 of us in 2 rooms in category 11> - then it would have been if there were only 5 of us in a "better" category.

I want to say also, that I was EXTREMELY pleased with our category 11. It was the first cruise we've taken and I know I wanted a room with a veranda, I said our "next" cruise I would get one. Well, after staying in the category 11 and seeing how much time I DIDN'T spend in the room, I will always, in the future book a cheaper room.

***Just my personal opinion***

~kathleen

I never said that I "deserved" a discount- all I said was I wish there were more options AND I would like to pay the same per person rate as a smaller family. If you have 5 people it is more expensive per person than if you have 6. So if I had 6 it would be easier for me to justify the 2 cabins and the price. (Plus I would not want 6 people in one cabin anyway)
when I say per person I mean the total price for the cruise divided by the number of people.
please pardon my whining:p

Originally posted by CheapMom
I don't want a break or discount just because I have a large family but I would like to be able to pay the same per person rate as a family of 2, 3, or 4.
IMO, expecting to get two rooms but pay the same rate pp is asking for special consideration. We have 3 cabins next year and I'd love to pay the pp rate for an extra person rather than what I am paying. I have no problem anyone asking, it's the expectation that it be provided or the idea that it's somehow "unfair" that I have a problem with. This is not the case, it is not unfair.

Originally posted by rae519
Not a "challenge to debate" but a question - do you travel with children or a large number?

I look at just how much does a child eat and how much space in a stateroom s/he occupies -

Yes, a personal choice but it would be nice to see a bit of a discount applied to those who do have large families.....

Rae
First, see the above portion of the post. Rae, I do frequently travel in groups that require more space, units, etc. I too don't want to debate, but here's my thinking. Even with 2 children, it's not possibly for us to just get one cabin or hotel room any more as the "kids" are now 17 & 20 and are different gender. About every other year we do an extended family trip and we "meaning me" pay for the accomodations. Last year we were at HH with THREE 2 BR units at Marriott's Grande Ocean with a retail value of over $9000 and costs to me of over $4500 just for the rooms. While kids do at times eat less and cost less to maintain, there are other factors. First, many kids actually cost as much or more. Would you want DCL to limit kids to the kids menu? And in this case, they would be taking up an entire cabin, there are no mini cabins just for this situation. Maybe one should get a 2 BR suite, they will sleep 6 nicely I'm told. We've heard many times on this board about how much more work kids can be for the staff but it depends on the exact situation and children. Plus, if DCL gives up the rooms for the add on price, that's an adult they won't be able to charge for, again their choice if they wanted to. It's no different than the 5 in a studio or 1 BR with DVC, it's OK if DVC allows it, but if they decide to enforce the rules, no one has a basis to say anything.

IMO, expecting to get two rooms but pay the same rate pp is asking for special consideration.
Who said I wanted 2 cabins?
If we want to stay in 1 cabin we are forced to Category 4 - $$$- Otherwise I am forced into 2 cabins and forced to pay adult fares for my small children-
Considering Disney is supposed to be the big 'family' cruiseline- I would like to see more options for families in the future.
there are no mini cabins just for this situation.
This would be a great idea- they could be occupied by a single traveler (single travelershave a hard time just like big families) or 2 children- have them connecting to a cat 11 or something like that-
Look I know I am dreaming here- like Disney is going to build a ship to make these things happen- I am just saying it would be nice.

I agree with both sides of the discussion.....We are a family of four so it doesn't really apply to me, however, there are other cruise lines out there that allow 5 to a cabin (on their lower categories) The problem is that even though they also have good kids camps they don't have the wonderful characters that DCL has. I was always shocked when the cruise ships were built that they didn't consider family of 5 because they are a "family vacation" On the other hand, Disney is in the business to make money so this way it forces many families to take an extra cabin. If your children are older and not interested in the characters and the shows then I would consider Carnival or another cruise line that allows 5 in the less expensive categories. That is just my 2 cents worth. Have a great day everyone! :p

If we want to stay in 1 cabin we are forced to Category 4 - $$$- Otherwise I am forced into 2 cabins and forced to pay adult fares for my small children-
Considering Disney is supposed to be the big 'family' cruiseline- I would like to see more options for families in the future.
I guess we're looking at things totally differently. I'm starting at where the cruise lines are and working from there using the realities in place currently. If you want 5 , you are asking either for 2 cabins or a cat 4 or higher. It would be great if DCL (or any cruise line) had lower cabins that would accomodate more than 4 for families with smaller kids, but it isn't reality. From what I've seen DCL actually has FAR more inside cabins that will accomodate even 4 compared to RCCL, especially if one is looking for an inside. And the inside cabins are much larger, 184 sq ft or more compared to 135 for RCCL.

there are other cruise lines out there that allow 5 to a cabin
This is certainly not true for RCCL where the VERY few Family suites are in horrible locations and are about $400 pp more for the first two than similar "oceanview" staterooms that sleep less. From what I can see there are no other units under that category that will sleep more than 4. I know that on the Mariner of the Seas and the Explorer, there are only about 60 inside cabins that will sleep 4 and another 10-12 that will sleep 3 AND none of them are anywhere near midship. They are all after of the aft elevators or forward of the forward elevator. NONE of the promenade cabins will sleep more than 2. And it looks like they have only 8 of the family suties on a boat almost twice the sizse of the Magic/Wonder, 2 for each of 4 decks all at the absolute from end of the ship. I've also looked at the Carnival Brochure and see no indication that any cabin under a suite will sleep more than four on either the Conquest or Spirit class ships. Heck, RCCL has even made the rooms that sleep more than 2 a HIGHER category (and more money for the first two also) just because they sleep more and they actually changed it for next year compared to this year making it worse. Previously, these were all the same category sleep 2, 3 or 4.

This would be a great idea- they could be occupied by a single traveler (single travelershave a hard time just like big families) or 2 children- have them connecting to a cat 11 or something like that-
Look I know I am dreaming here- like Disney is going to build a ship to make these things happen- I am just saying it would be nice.
I could imagine fitting three mini cabins into the same space as a single inside cabin now. It's be like a tini modular BR off the main cabin much like some of those "hotels" in Tokyo where al you get is a cubicle big enough for one (or in this case two, people to slide into. It wouldn't work for someone who's claustrophobic though. They would be specialty cabins so I'm not sure how much of a hassle it'd be having to book this and there's need to be a heigh limit though on DCL, the size of the current inside cabins, I don't think that'd realy be much of an issue. And I think it could be done for about the same cost total as a current cabin with 4 so it should be OK from a revenue standpoint.

Still, we must remember that DCL (and I'm sure other cruise companies as well) monitor the number of kids reserved and tend to limit them. I've seen them limit rooms to only two people that would technically hold more.

We're a family of four &#151; but we opted for two connecting secret porthole rooms. The price was less that if we had opted for a Category 6 verandah room (which we had on our first DCL cruise). It was great to have twice as much room, twice as much storage, two showers, two toilets, two beverage coolers, two sofas and even two TVs.

Yes, the first two passengers in each stateroom pay more, regardless of age. That's because the first two passengers pay for the actual stateroom. That seems fair to me.

I guess there are those who wish DCL had designed the ships to have some inside staterooms with a queen bed and bunch of bunk beds to accomodate large families &#151; with everyone sharing one shower, one toilet, and the usual storage space.

We just got off the 3/27 cruise and we are 6. We had a cat 8 and cat 11 next to each other (not connecting). We just used a two way baby monitor. We booked two in the cat 8 and four in the 11. Depending on the night my wife and I stayed in the cat 8 with our youngest (4) and the 12, 10 & 5 yr old stayed in the cat 11. We paid about $6K for all of use (no air, ins or transfers). It worked ok for having to get two rooms.

We booked a cruise for 15 of us back in January on Carnival, its the singles that really get hammered!!! 1 1/2 times the rate! Just because your single, or you can choose to room with a stranger - yuck!

There are options for large families, cat 4 or higher or 2 adjoining staterooms. Maybe it means more time spent saving for the trip, but a cruise in my opinion is supposed to be special, not all of the family crammed into a little space. At least this is one of the reasons we waited so long to do DCL, it ain't cheap and if I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it right!

Wish I had known about the secret porthole adjoining rooms, that sounds better than the gty 6 we got!

What exactly is a secret porthole?

Carnival definitely takes "quints" in their inside cabins. They are not the brand new ships but certainly the same age as the Disney ships. I have known two groups of 60-75 passengers travel about 3 years ago and several families had 3 children in the cabin with 2 adults. RCCL is not as accommodating but that is their choice not to cater to that type of cabin. All I'm saying is that there is certainly other options out there if you do not wish to pay the rate DCL charges. I can't imagine other cruise lines activities catering to my little Princess and Buzz worshiper better than DCL but you never know! :earsgirl:

I was looking at the September 4, 2004 prices for a 7-day cruise.

It is $400 more going from a CAT 5 to CAT 4, even if the number of persons has not changed. OK, so you get a "few" more square feet.

ADD $652 for the 5th person in the CAT 4 (if they are 3-12 years old) or ADD $852 if they are older than 12.

The total cabin cost for 5 sailing in CAT-4 (assuming no babies) is $5262

For comparison, that same family of 5 in connecting CAT-10s would be $4062 (that's a savings of $1200 [or $171 a day]). Is it worth an extra $171 daily for a Veranda? But... what is the value of double the the square feet, double the bathrooms/storage, double the TV's, etc.? It's worth $171 less per day!

Two adjoining CAT-11s would be $3862 (a savings of $1400 or $200 a day).

The glass is half full - Families of 5 or more get a break! :hyper:

Or---you could just join the fabulous Disney Vacation Club---and use ALL points for your cruise---with no out of pocket--except for excursions and extra things!!!
We could never just spend 6000 outright on a vacation---but we can afford the monthly dues for DVC--and we have had fabulous vacations at the BCV using our points!!!

Just my .02!!!
findingnemofan:teeth:

Carnival definitely takes "quints" in their inside cabins. They are not the brand new ships but certainly the same age as the Disney ships. I have known two groups of 60-75 passengers travel about 3 years ago and several families had 3 children in the cabin with 2 adults.
Disney will let you sleep that way but they won't let you book that way. As long as you have a party of 2 or 3 who will go through the reservation process with you they will let you book the child to the other room and note that the child will actually be in a different cabin.
I think there are good reason they do this- safety for example, lifeboats, etc...Also crowd control- If DCL allowed Families of 5 to book 1 cabin the ship might get over crowded also- just think- everytime a family is forced to get 1 more cabin because they have, say, a 6 month old baby, that is practically like having an empty cabin on the ship. So in that respect it is a good thing.
That said-
I still don't see how a fam of 5 or more gets a break- Genie- because 2 cat 10s is cheaper than a cat4? I don't get it.

Don't you guys get me wrong. I have no love lost for DCL when it comes to costs and price structure. Over time they have raised their prices as well as changing their 3rd/4th person rates in a very negative way. Making a 13 y/o cound as an adult AND escalating the add on person charge with higher cabins really stinks to me. But it is their dance and they set the rules then I decide if I want to go. MY beef is in general with those that feel they should get something special just because of their life cirstances, especially the "I have 5 or 6 and it isn't fair" crowd.

talicskai, I haven't called the companies to ask but there's no suggestion on their 2003-2005 brochure that any non suite rooms sleep more than 4. However, looking at the usual website I use to find prices and availability, they do give choices for 5 in a cabin. It looks like they may be allowing an extra person in the queen bed as I can see no evidence of bedding for 5. One may have to contact Carnival (or other lines) for more info to be certain.

ok guys, I've been reading the posts and can see both sides. Here's my "problem"....
I have 3 kids , so a family of 5. We booked DCL and stayed in a cat 4 deluxe stateroom. It cost us a small fortune, but at the time I didn't know about the "connecting rooms idea". Would have considered that. I am NOT complaining...it was so very worth the $$$$. DCL blew me away! The service, the condition of the ship, the activities, the ports of call..everything. My "problem" is that my husband is a teacher and can ONLY go on vacation when the kids are out of school....Christmas, Easter and Summer when the rates are the highest. He took the Friday before we left off and got docked a days pay for that. I would love to go again, or on anyother vacation for that matter, but we blew our vacation budget for the next several years due to the fact that we are a family of 5 and he is a teacher/travel restrictions. It was our choice, and I do not regret it for a minute, I just wish it were easier for us to travel......It was my first cruise, and my first experience with Disney and I'm afraid I've become "addicted".........I wanna go back!!!!!
Oh, and for those of you who think he gets Christmas, Easter and summer "off"..he doesn't. He is the youth director at our church and also runs camps and teaches Drivers Education in his "off" time. He is a busy guy, but it allows me to be home with the kids, where I want to be, so I figure I'm blessed to be able to do that. And I had a Disney Cruise!!!!! Does it get any better?????

Originally posted by tkrules
Oh, and for those of you who think he gets Christmas, Easter and summer "off"..he doesn't.

Believe me, I hear ya on that one. My DF is a university professor. He's very involved in research so his summers etc are still committed.

I had wanted a May wedding and then a WDW/DCL honeymoon in the fall (don't like crowds, don't like hot weather). Instead I've got a July wedding (in Vegas) and a summer honeymoon. More crowded, hotter, and more expensive.

Welcome to the world of having a teacher for a husband! It does have it's perks but vacation time/lack of freedom and choice as to when to take that time is a not one of them. Oh how I wish he could just take a week off in late January or early Feb!!! I would love to go to the Mouse House (never been), but I am NOT going over Christmas, Spring Break or in the Summer! My friend just got back from the House...she dared to try it over Spring Break and said never again! Way too crowded. I hope you have a great wedding, and more importantly ...a great marriage!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter