family of six....no kids' fare??

zeke11

DIS Veteran
Help! I am in the beginning stages of planning our first Disney Cruise and what I am learning is a real bummer....

Since each cabin only sleeps a max of 5, we need to get two cabins.

Since each cabin requires an adult, my husband and I would split up - our cabins would consist of 1 adult and 2 kids each.

Since the only way to get the kids' much lesser fares is to have TWO adults per cabin, we have to pay FULL ADULT FARES for all in our party.

This is what I am garnering from what I am reading....is this correct?

And if so, is there some way around this problem? It doesn't seem fair to penalize single parents and/or larger families that need to split up into different cabins.

If it is truly the case, I don't think we'll be able to take the cruise....too much $$$.

:confused:

Help! Kris

As I understand it the first two people no matter the age in the room pay adult fare (or base price) any others are the reduced price- I think alot of it has to do with overall fairness as I could see people trying to rig it with multiple cabins so they only have to pay for one and parts of one by putting little kids in them etc-
Yeah it hurts some families but overall it keeps the price a bit lower (distrubutes the required costs/utilities out over all the occupied cabins instead of just the ones with adults in them) Yeah there is prob a whole breakeven point on it but its late and my brain is tired-

Have ya thought of finding 2 other adults ie grandparents, aunts etc that would love to come and help defray costs?

and you would only have the base rate for 4 of your 6 (2 "adults" per cabin) 2 would be the extras (which I would prob stick in the same cabin as the 4th person I *think* is lower than the 3rd)

-em

Zeke11 -

This TA site is useful as it has advertised pricing which can help you plan. For example, if you were willing to sail in September 2004 on a 7-day cruise, your family of six(6) could get two connecting CAT-10 rooms for $2710(4) +1803(2) = $4515(6), or $2257(3)+$2257(3) = $4514(6)

This is depending on your children's ages, but is a good place to plan.

You could save some more if you wanted to try a CAT-11 or CAT-12, but the rooms won't be connecting (they could be adjoining though).

Here's the link:

http://cruises.allseastravel.com/c/5/5738/1154152_5738.htm

We also are a family of 6 and had to get 2 rooms.
My children are 13, 11, 8 and 4. We were in a category 11, which I found to be very comfortable. Since we had to get 2 rooms, I decided to go for the cheaper rooms. I can say that I wasn't disappointed in the rooms at all.
There were not connecting, but were next to each other. The older 3 stayed in one room and me, dh and 4 year old were in the other. It worked out fine and the older 3 felt like they were 'cool' since they had their own room. They would get mad at me when I came in and told them to clean up etc. LOL.

We did have to get extra KTTW cards made so that we could open both doors. This way, everyone could get into each others rooms. That was a little *pain*, I thought that they could somehow make the KTTW card we had already open the other door, but it didn't work that way. We got a new card for the other door. We had to keep both cards with us. (hope that makes sense).

I don't know the length of the cruise you are thinking about, or when you plan on going....we went on the Wonder, 2/29-3/4/04 and paid $2700. I figured it out and I believe (if my memory is serving me right) that even though we had to pay for 4 adults and 2 children, it was only about $300-$400 more. Not too bad in my book.

Hope that helps.
My email rboyz@optonline.net if you have any more questions I can help you with.

~kathleen

We booked two categ. 10 rooms (connecting) for a 4 night Wonder cruise, Oct 05. This is for my DH, me, and our four boys (at the time of the cruise, ages 10, 8, 5,4) This is what we ended up paying...

1st room:
person 1: $644
person 2: $644
person 3: $349

2nd room:
person 1: $644
person 2: $626 (This was different due to something with taxes
person 3: $336 I think, or something like that)

For a total of $3243, but then Dana at micdan.com knocked it down to $3212 to match allseastravel.com (This is without travel insurance, since I'm going to purchase that from somewhere else, if I get it)

It does sorta stink to be paying full fare for an 8 year old, but so goes life :p

Lori P. :)

We are a family of six and yes you have to pay for 4 adults ($$$). I would suggest getting the connecting rooms, it is very convient, we would use one room to sleep in and one to do most of the daily activities, plus we could put the younger ones down for naps and been right next door watching tv. We used our collap[sable cooler to prop the door open when no one was sleeping.
One of our crusies we were on deck 1 and I actually liked it, there is not alot of rooms so there is not much hallway traffick

I was just pricing a room for my Mom - it was $2995 (Cat 6) - if we put my 9 year old son with her, it goes up to $3710. OUCH! Considering that with us (as a third), it was only $715 more!

Will have to see if she will want a stateroom without a balcony, but that's difficult if you have ever had one and enjoyed it!

Rae

It really bugs me too- We have 5 in our family and the price is SO much higher than if we had 4. I wish they would have some better alternatives for the larger family- like an inside cabin that would accomadate 5 or 6.
Maybe when they build the new ship we will have more options-
pirate:

Originally posted by CheapMom
Maybe when they build the new ship we will have more options-
pirate:

That will come around the same time that they will make their Summer 2005 announcement......hahah!

Yes, I do so agree on what you posted - most families have more than 2 children and could use the break. I often wondered why the children's fare is so high - could it be from all the lobster and filet mignon they eat?????? Ohhh, I know! It's their unquenchable hunger for escargot!!!! How silly of me to have forgotten!

Rae

It may be for the escargot!!!!

My DS will be 12 on the next cruise 9/25 and on the previous 2 DCL cruise (he was 8 & 10) he ordered the escargot!!!! and has it on his todo list for the next cruise too

DD (age 8) is quite the adventurous eater- She loves *Oysters, *Sushi, Lobster, etc- and she eats like she has a hollow leg- I will get my money's worth with that one- My son (age 7) however doesn't eat enough to keep a bird alive.
(*I tell her not to eat raw stuff but she loves it and does it every now and then)

I tell her not to eat raw stuff but she loves it and does it every now and then
I wouldn't worry too much. Seems like they have cast-iron stomaches when they're little. Bugs, mud, crayons, paste. Nothing seems to phase them.

Cruises are set up, like most hotels, for four people generally. I don't see anything unfair about DCL setting the rules they go by. One can chose to go or not, depending on their preferences and choices. I don't understand when people feel they are entitled to a break just because their family is of a larger size. I don't have any problem asking about it and looking for a situation that works well for one's family, it's just that I don't understand the "it's unfair" approach. It's not unfair at all.

we have a family of 7. my boyfriend and i. my two kids ages 7 and 4 and his 3 kids ages 17, 15 and 13. NO DEALS. just the cruise itself not including any airfaire is $8,000.00! we have two rooms. cag 11/deck 6. they are not connecting but side by side. we will sail on 4/10/04 - easter week on the western/magic. disney is very pricey, but i'm hoping that it's worth EVERY penny!!

Ok now think how I feel.....just have a few more kids and you can FILL 2 staterooms like we did. I had to pay full fare for 4 of us, but boys were 16&17 anyway, so that was a wash. Hubby and I had 2 extra cards made, to trade with kids who switched rooms.

One adult had to remain REGISTERED in that other room.

Lobster????what lobster? I must have missed it, cuz I never saw it on the menu.

I loved the Disney cruise for taking the kids, but when Hubby and I go for our anniversary, New ship, 7 days Lobster every night, we will be sailing carnival most likely. Only $600 a person too!!!

I hope I am not making a mistake.. Melissa

I guess I got an extremely good rate, cuz we paid $499 ea for 4 of us and kids prices for the other 4. The total came to about $4200 and that was with cancelation insurance from Access America. I booked a year ahead thru Cruisesonly.com

Melissa

Originally posted by Dean
I don't understand when people feel they are entitled to a break just because their family is of a larger size.
I don't want a break or discount just because I have a large family but I would like to be able to pay the same per person rate as a family of 2, 3, or 4.

When we have cruised in the past it has always been with my DH family. They had a family of 5 and just registered one of there kids to our room on our first cruise even though they did not stay in our room. They now get 2 rooms because we are now a family of 4 but in April 2005 we plan to register one of our children to there room since we too will soon be a family of 5. It saves alot if you can travel with family or friends and you can do this. Our rooms are always next to each other so it doesn't affect the lifeboat situation because we are all going to the same station. I too agree that it is hard to accomidate a family of 5 on DCL without paying alot of money. I have read on other threads that there are other lines that have rooms that accomidate 5 and don't cost a fortune. We may definately look into this in the future.

Our friends travelled with their 3 children and registered their youngest under our other friends cabin (they did not know each other) One was a cat 11 and one was a cat 6. The cabin steward was informed that the child would be staying with the parents instead and he said "no problem" He then brought them another life jacket and extra pillow/blanket.
It certainly helps if you have someone you can do this with. Try finding out if anyone else on the disboards is travelling on the same date and willing to do this for you. I certainly would have no problem with it. It worked out very well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter