Family of five...

autismgoesdisney

DIS Veteran
Ok I am totally racking my brain here with this cruise idea! I want it to happen! My question for you....which was cheaper for your family of five? Two rooms? One bigger room? is there a cheaper period to go? Is there a cheaper port to go out of?

it is cheaper for us to get 2 cabins. dh and I get a verandah room, and the kids get a cat 11 directly across the hall. It is so much nicer to have 2 bathrooms! and more space.

it would be even cheaper if we would get a port hole or 2 inside cabins, but I am spoiled and like the verandahs!

as for the Port.. we always go out of Florida. ( we are only 7 hrs away.)

When we traveled as a family of 5 we got two inside connecting cabins - it was nice to have the extra space and the extra bathrooms. This was our cheapest option.

It depends on the ship..

Cheaper on Disney Dream/Fantasy to get a category 8..but they only have about 15 of those that fit 5..so booking early is key!

Cheaper on Magic/Wonder to get two inside staterooms (not many adjoining..is the only problem but they try to make it work!)

The big advantage comes when they offer a kids sail free...then you could get a category 4 (would be ideal if they offered a category 8 with those) that fit five and only pay for two people...those kids sail free happen with Alaskan/Mediterranean/Mexican Riviera sailings...I have not seen any with Caribbean/Bahamas yet...but with 4 ships out next year, I think it's likely to see more...most of the time the best deals come out last of April/first of May...September/October...we got KFO for MR for spring break, due to drop in bookings with Mexico's safety issues...we were safe and had a great trip!

I have priced it out. I think right now, the plan is one room w/ a veranda and one inside across the hall. It was about $100 difference between those 2 rooms and 1 room for all 5 of us.

But, if there is Kids sail free or something, we will book the cat 4 room. We are also cruising out of Galveston and live in TX. So I am hoping they will give us a discount for living hear. Also planning to book with a travel agent for some OBC.

We found it cheaper to get 2 rooms. We did the verandah and inside room across the hall the first cruise. This was great for space and bathrooms, but the inside room was so small and not having connecting doors was a pain.

So this trip, we decided on two verandah rooms. Can't wait.

We booked a cat 4 KSF for our family of 5 on our MR cruise last Feb, then upgraded to a suite at the port:banana:

Just wondering, why is cat 8 less expensive??

An 8 has one large window to sit in but can fit five in a room, no other rooms fit five other than a verandah...so those are more $$$ unless you get KFO.

Two inside rooms are more than one 8 on the Dream Fantasy, but again there are only about 15 category 8 rooms that fit five.

An 8 has one large window to sit in but can fit five in a room, no other rooms fit five other than a verandah...so those are more $$$ unless you get KFO.

Two inside rooms are more than one 8 on the Dream Fantasy, but again there are only about 15 category 8 rooms that fit five.

Oh I posted to you yesterday, I just noticed it was you! You are going on same cruise as us next Sept! Big difference between us, you sound like you are a pro....LOL We got the deluxe oceanview (go figure, cheaper than an interior room) in category 9B, 2nd level. Will that be an ok place to be you think??

Oh I posted to you yesterday, I just noticed it was you! You are going on same cruise as us next Sept! Big difference between us, you sound like you are a pro....LOL We got the deluxe oceanview (go figure, cheaper than an interior room) in category 9B, 2nd level. Will that be an ok place to be you think??

I think that should be a category 8B...none of the cat 9's fit five people...unless there are just 4 of you! :) My kids are soo excited we printed out the deck plan of the ship so they could be working out their walking plan to their favorite spots! HA!! Are you signed up with the cruise meets? My kids are hoping more youth will join so they can share their excitement! :) Not a pro by any means, but if I can save the family some funds...I become laser focused! :) I think any room on the ship will be great, you should be able to pick out your room online this far ahead... I would choose forward or midship if you can...closer to most the youth clubs...my kids like to run back to their room for something and looking at the length of that ship, going from aft to Vibe would be quite the hike! :)

We're a family of 5 and we booked one of those category 8 window rooms that fits 5 people on the Dream. I've tried looking at 2 inside rooms, and every time I've priced it the 2 inside rooms turned out to be considerably higher priced.

Good luck!

I think that should be a category 8B...none of the cat 9's fit five people...unless there are just 4 of you! :) My kids are soo excited we printed out the deck plan of the ship so they could be working out their walking plan to their favorite spots! HA!! Are you signed up with the cruise meets? My kids are hoping more youth will join so they can share their excitement! :) Not a pro by any means, but if I can save the family some funds...I become laser focused! :) I think any room on the ship will be great, you should be able to pick out your room online this far ahead... I would choose forward or midship if you can...closer to most the youth clubs...my kids like to run back to their room for something and looking at the length of that ship, going from aft to Vibe would be quite the hike! :)

Yes, there are only four of us! I don't understand, you mean we can actually pick our cabin? Yes, I signed up under Fantasy meets for the Sept 8 sailing..How old are your kids? At the time of cruising, ours will be 15 and 12. We homeschool the 15 yr old, so no problem with her missing school, but will have to pull our son out for a week-yikes! Although I'm sure it'll be worth it! Do you think 2nd level and 9B is an ok place to be? I literally don't have a clue...

Ok I am totally racking my brain here with this cruise idea! I want it to happen! My question for you....which was cheaper for your family of five? Two rooms? One bigger room? is there a cheaper period to go? Is there a cheaper port to go out of?

We also have a family of five and it was cheaper to book 2 adjoining rooms. I am so looking forward to our first cruise and know it will be better with 2 bathrooms and more room!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter