Family of Boy Killed by Gator Will Not Sue

Tom P.

Mouseketeer
The family of Lane Graves, the toddler who was killed in the horrific alligator attack at the Grand Floridian, has decided not to sue Disney.

http://nypost.com/2016/07/20/family-of-toddler-killed-by-gator-at-disney-wont-sue/

I must admit, I'm surprised at this. I would have assumed a lawsuit would be automatic, but I think that reaction comes more from the fact that we live in a lawsuit-happy culture than from the facts of the story.

All I can say is that whatever direction the parents choose to go, I hope everyone continues to pray for them. I cannot imagine -- and hope to God I never can! -- what they are going through. I hope that the foundation they are establishing in Lane's name brings them some small measure of comfort, and does some good for others as well.

I am not surprised. Whether or not Disney is at fault, Disney wants this story out of the news cycle. I'm sure they settled out of court.
I am also sure the family wants to have privacy.

I'm sure there was a settlement - which was the right move by Disney

And the family not suing was the right call by them. I'm sure they want to move on as best they can.

It was a horrible accident with no clear cut blame...that's the facts of the case.

All those that expressed unreasonable outrage towards Disney not controlling nature...or death upon gators for being gators...should remember this...you know who you are.

The right thing has happened in the end by all parties involved.

Don't feed the damn gators on vacation...is the takeaway.

I do hope that Disney is the first donor to their foundation, but I understand the parents not wanting to profit off their child's death...I mean, what would you do with that money? Take a vacation? Build a bigger house? Every time you touched that money, you'd know why you had it. The only thing that makes sense to me personally is putting it towards something like a foundation, so, hopefully, that is what ended up happening. At least it would give them something positive to do from all this and maybe help them in some way.

When my cousin was killed in a car wreck, her parents did not sue the other driver. They set up a scholarship in her name and have continued to use that to help, and I think it makes them feel better in some small way. Believe it or not, a lot of people don't want to sue. Lawsuits are miserable, and if there ever was one, the parents would have to relieve everything again and again. I can't imagine wanting to put yourself through that. Anyway, I wish them all what peace they can find.

I feel pretty confident that Disney offered them a lot of money in a settlement right up front so they didn't have a motivation to sue.

I'm sure there was a settlement - which was the right move by Disney

And the family not suing was the right call by them. I'm sure they want to move on as best they can.

It was a horrible accident with no clear cut blame...that's the facts of the case.

All those that expressed unreasonable outrage towards Disney not controlling nature...or death upon gators for being gators...should remember this...you know who you are.

The right thing has happened in the end by all parties involved.

Don't feed the damn gators on vacation...is the takeaway.

Great, now even I am agreeing with LOL on a subject. It's a mad mad world! But I do agree.

It was a terrible tragedy and the dad will remember it for the rest of his life as he was standing there. No amount of money can make that better.

Having said that, though they did not sue, I am certain the Disney paid handsomely. Overboard even with the removal of gators in parades and such.
Disney most likely paid them a huge amount, equal to a lawsuit, to avoid court costs and get this out of the news.

.I mean, what would you do with that money? Take a vacation? Build a bigger house? Every time you touched that money, you'd know why you had it.

If something like this happened to me I would need money to live on because I doubt I would be mentally or emotionally capable of continuing to go to work to provide for my family.

I agree with others in suspecting that Disney settled out of court, which was the right thing to do. It will also spare the family having to relive the details as a part of any litigation. I will continue to pray for this family and I hope the foundation is successful and does give them a bit of peace.

I do hope that Disney is the first donor to their foundation, but I understand the parents not wanting to profit off their child's death...I mean, what would you do with that money? Take a vacation? Build a bigger house? Every time you touched that money, you'd know why you had it. The only thing that makes sense to me personally is putting it towards something like a foundation, so, hopefully, that is what ended up happening. At least it would give them something positive to do from all this and maybe help them in some way.

When my cousin was killed in a car wreck, her parents did not sue the other driver. They set up a scholarship in her name and have continued to use that to help, and I think it makes them feel better in some small way. Believe it or not, a lot of people don't want to sue. Lawsuits are miserable, and if there ever was one, the parents would have to relieve everything again and again. I can't imagine wanting to put yourself through that. Anyway, I wish them all what peace they can find.

I think many people might need some money for missing work, burial, in cases like this the family might have needed legal aid, the family will probably all need counseling for some time (there were other children). I don't think that millions would have helped them replace their son, but I don't think we can discount that there is some financial impact.

If something like this happened to me I would need money to live on because I doubt I would be mentally or emotionally capable of continuing to go to work to provide for my family.

I agree with others in suspecting that Disney settled out of court, which was the right thing to do. It will also spare the family having to relive the details as a part of any litigation. I will continue to pray for this family and I hope the foundation is successful and does give them a bit of peace.
In this case with having another kid I could see this being the case...

However I can see in some cases the parents actually diving into work. When I lost someone in my life the last place I wanted to be for a while was the place I normally saw them, that was painful. It hurt less to be places they never had anything to do with because they wern'et there because they weren't supposed to be there. By that token spending more time at work because you dont' expect to see your son when act work may be a coping mechanism for a while.

I listened to a podcast today with Lee Cockerell former WDW executive. He said in all of his years working for WDW an alligator attack like that never crossed his mind that it could've happened. Those things Disney just doesn't think about because they aren't common occurrences and are so very rare. He thinks Disney handled it incredibly well and the fencing is now necessary. I just thought that was interesting from someone who had experience within the Disney company.

However I can see in some cases the parents actually diving into work. When I lost someone in my life the last place I wanted to be for a while was the place I normally saw them, that was painful. It hurt less to be places they never had anything to do with because they wern'et there because they weren't supposed to be there. By that token spending more time at work because you dont' expect to see your son when act work may be a coping mechanism for a while.

That's a good point. Everyone grieves and deals differently so it is nice for the family to have options and not have to worry about going to work merely to survive, or to pay for counseling etc.

I imagine Disney settled some, any settlement is what Disney calculated it would take to end the news cycle and get it out of intentional customer minds. I would expect it would be less than the average for an accidental death due to malfeasance/negligence (IIRC, Florida state law projects property owners from liability of wildlife attacks).

But it may be the the parents just don't see a reason for fault to sue over. Nature happens.

Last edited:

I totally get that. I have a big, close family. We would have big dinners with everyone multiple times a week. When my cousin and grandmother passed away, as sad as it is to say, the last place I wanted to be was home, specifically around that dinner table. I started working much more, trying to find a reason to stay at my desk...I'd stretch out my workouts, trying to find more reason to stay in the gym...and I was at the pool hall much, much longer...trying to get lost in the strategy and physics of the game.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter