• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Family of 6 with young kids. Help me decide!

DisneyCharacter

Earning My Ears
I am planning a Fall 2017 trip for my soon to be family of 6 It will be me, DH, DS6, DS4, DD2 and a 6mo old. We are planning 6 nights and we won't have a car. I cannot decide where we should stay!!! Art of Animation for the suite and themes? All star music suite for the price and second bathroom? A squeeze into a deluxe monorail room for the easy transportation?

:mickeyjumHELP ME!!!:mickeyjum

If budget isn't an issue, I think a Contemporary Garden Wing room would be fine with your group. Parents in one queen, DS6-DS4 in the second queen, DD2 in the daybed, and baby in the pack and play. There won't be a ton of floorspace when everything is engaged, but it'll be okay.

Otherwise, I'd go with AoA. ASMu is really what used to be two rooms with a hole bashed out between them and I hate the layout.

AoA! the themed suites are great for your kids ages, NEMO will be the best taking into account it's the character they probably know the most? the Nemo pool also will be very appealing to them and their buses work fine, you will get a lot of space and two bathrooms plus it is a beautiful resort

I would go with a room at the Contemporary if sleeping in one room is not an issue. That's a lot of kids to haul on and off the busses Everytime you go to a park. At least at the contemporary you can walk to the MK, take monorail to the MK and Rpcot. That's two parks you won't have to fold stroller(s) up. The convienence to the MK is so worth it to stay at the CR. We have a split stay booked at the CR and the Grand. My concern is all of us sleeping in one room with my 23 month old granddaughter (she sleeps better in her own space) but we are so looking forward to being on the monorail line and having the ability to walk to the MK from the CR. We spend most of our days there so that closeness overrode the separate sleeping areas. We stayed at a Nemo suite when she was 4 mos and it was a lot of work getting back and forth to the parks with all her stuff as well as my youngest daughter and her umbrella stroller.

As a family of 6(4 under 10), I would either go with the AoA or get 2 adjoining rooms at a value. We did the 2 value rooms and a cabin split stay on our last visit, and the 2 rooms worked out really well. The pull out bed in the cabin was awful(kids got the bunk and queen in the bedroom). In the 2 value rooms, we could put the kids to sleep in the one room and stay up a little bit longer in the other. I haven't stayed at Music, but Movies has a really kid friendly theme.

"If by "adjoining" you mean "connecting" (with a door in between), that can be requested, but can't be guaranteed."

I'm full of cold medicine, words are kind of escaping me. Please excuse me :)
But connecting is what I meant. The CM I spoke with on the phone said that they give priority to people in that situation, but you're right, not guaranteed.

I've never stayed in an AoA suite, but we did the suite at ASMU and we liked it. I wouldn't hesitate to go back. The theming isn't awesome for kids, but my kids still liked it there. I believe it's cheaper than 2 value rooms but there is only 1 real bed. Plus side, each older kid can have their own sleeping space and the little one can be in a PNP in the master.

We did AOA with 5 of us -- and the youngest was 15 -- the "kids" ranged from 15-25, plus me, the old man. We loved every part of staying at AOA -- we were all together instead of separate rooms, we all had comfortable sleeping arrangements PLUS2, count them 2 full bathrooms.

I'd highly recommend that for you.

Tom

It comes down to if you would rather fold the stroller, or have more space.

Also, is this a one and done trip? If not, there will come a day you will have to stay at AOA, the cabins, or ASMu (or get a 2BR somewhere or go off site). There is a limited window in which 6 fit in a single room anywhere else.

I would go (monorail or epcot) Deluxe while you can and enjoy not having to deal with strollers on busses for Every. Single. Park.

Also, is this a one and done trip? If not, there will come a day you will have to stay at AOA, the cabins, or ASMu (or get a 2BR somewhere or go off site). There is a limited window in which 6 fit in a single room anywhere else.

Definitely not a one and done trip!! Good point about later not fitting in the single room. :)

Just a thought- with four kids, when they are all above 3, you will need 2 rooms in most deluxe resorts, which can get very costly. If you really don't mind the tight quarters, I'd go deluxe now so you can get into 1 room. You may never be able to stay at many of the deluxe resorts again at a 1 room rate.
Edit Add- lol, only read the first replies before I answered. It seems some others have the same thoughts!

We have four children, ages 9,7,4 and 2. We've stayed at AoA, YC and Sugarloaf at the GF with all four. I'd hands down recommend GF if you can. While the walk is not a long one, having a short monorail ride to the Magic Kingdom and a short boat ride home was perfect. It was invaluable to be able to "save steps" for my older two. They did plenty of walking in the parks!

I agree. Given a choice between any of the family suites or one deluxe room, I would go deluxe and I woudl choose one on the monorail line. It wont be long before this choice gets way more expensive, and honestly at this point in time I would think the convenience and amenities far outweigh the space in the room.

I am partial to the Grand and to the Poly, but any one of them would be very nice, Theme and layout are different at each one.

FWIW: as a family we will travel with 5 in a deluxe room, and we are not cramped. WE find that if we start out organized we stay that way. The resorts offer plenty to allow plenty to do and to go so that the room is not the only place to relax or to decompress.

We loved our stay in a Nemo suite when we were a family of 7. The pool is amazing for little ones and the kids really liked the theming and atmosphere of the resort . Now that we have 6 kiddos we can't beat the value of Wyndham Bonnet Creek with a full kitchen 4 bathrooms and 4 bedrooms and we rent two vans. Once you have that kind of space it's hard to go back to squeezing in one room. We are doing a surprise trip this year to Fort Wilderness and renting a 5th wheel so it will be nice to back on property able to use the boat to MK.

We loved our stay in a Nemo suite when we were a family of 7. The pool is amazing for little ones and the kids really liked the theming and atmosphere of the resort . Now that we have 6 kiddos we can't beat the value of Wyndham Bonnet Creek with a full kitchen 4 bathrooms and 4 bedrooms and we rent two vans. Once you have that kind of space it's hard to go back to squeezing in one room. We are doing a surprise trip this year to Fort Wilderness and renting a 5th wheel so it will be nice to back on property able to use the boat to MK.

My DD has looked into renting one of the RV's that can be brought to FW. We have never stayed in FW, but my DH would love it. The RV's are not inexpensive, but you have two bedrooms and a living area.

For your family, and their ages, I would pick AoA. The extra space of the suites and the 2 bedrooms are wonderful. The theming is fantastic for young kids and the pools are great!

We stayed at AoA last April and really loved just about everything about it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter