Family of 5

My personal favorite is 2 connecting Cat 9 cabins. Tons of room! We book one adult in each room, and divide the kids up. On the cruise, of course both adults sleep in the same cabin, and we leave the door between the cabins open.

well depending on what room you get. if you get the family stateroom you can all fit in it. but if you get a normal room you can decide who you want in what room.

Connecting Cat 10's or 6's are also an option depending on whether you want/need/can afford a porthole or veranda. I can't see getting a cat 4. It costs more and gives you very little additional space in comparison.

We are taking our first cruise in a couple of weeks. We booked connecting secret porthole rooms. There are 5 in my family. We decided to take my mom too, she'll be the 6th. We'll have plenty of room, two bathrooms and we'll still be together. We frequently book connecting rooms at WDW as well. :goodvibes

I agree with vanvmom.....the 2 connecting cat 9s are a great way to go vs a cat 4 family stateroom...although you forego the verandah, there is much, much more room....

Vanvmom said:
My personal favorite is 2 connecting Cat 9 cabins. Tons of room! We book one adult in each room, and divide the kids up. On the cruise, of course both adults sleep in the same cabin, and we leave the door between the cabins open.

This is what we are doing on our trip (WOO HOO :cool1: ...9/23 is just over a month away now). I love the idea of all the space and for a mom living in a family of 4 males...AHHH...my own vacation bathroom (I have my own at home and don't like to share with the boys;)).

While this option is great...BOOK FAST!! A very limited number of connecting rooms are available. Make double sure you ask for connecting rooms NOT adjoining rooms...and lock your cabin choice in when making your ressies...no chance of being bumped for an upgrade but then again, you know you have the connecting rooms!

We too have booked two connecting categories 10's in the past. This year, we're doing connecting Category 9's. Having the two bathrooms, separate beds for everyone, two tv's and much more space are great. The Category 4 is quite a bit more expensive and I think we'd be cramped there for a week.

I agree with booking early. Our TA told us when we booked in February for our September cruise (9/23 as well), that we were getting the last two connecting 9's.

The prices for the September cruise was very reasonable for the five us even though you have to pay for four adults and one child when you book two rooms.

Get by with the smallest space you can. 1. You won't do anything in the room besides sleep and change clothes. 2. Save the $$ and do some excursions.

There are 3 issues with the Cat 4 family rooms:

1. Price
2. When the Murphy bed is folded down you have to climb over it to get to the verandah.
3. With a 2 year old (didn't cruise when mine were that young) if they need quiet to nap you have to keep the siblings doing clothes changes out of the room.

We did the Cat 4 on 3 of our 4 cruises - and have been happy to have the family in one place (connecting rooms are hard to come by and didn't want kids that far away). They are VERY convienient to Deck 9 for pools, buffet, snacks and the drink station!

We did discover on last year's 14 day cruise that DS13 DS11 and DS11 were getting a big large to have all the guys getting dressed at once for dinner - never had that problem before :rolleyes1

But the earlier poster had it right - go with what your budget allows! THere are so many other places to go on the ship that the room is not the big thing!

GeorgiaVol said:
Get by with the smallest space you can. 1. You won't do anything in the room besides sleep and change clothes. 2. Save the $$ and do some excursions.

#1) Some people do spend more time in the room than that especially if they have young kids that still nap.

#2) Usually two connecting Cat 9's or 10's are less $$$ than 1 Cat 4.

GeorgiaVol said:

Actually, we are saving money by booking two connecting rooms on our next cruise vs. the one higher catagory room.

I think (if I am not mistaken...which *gasp* does happen every now and again) that it is almost always cheaper to book two connecting lower catagories then one higher catagory that would sleep 5.

SO...at least in this case (as far as I know it applies to all sailings) you can have more room and pay less (or equal to at most) both...

Otherwise, I totally agree, the extra room is nice, but that money could be spent on a lot more "fun" things...ie more shore excursions, more spa treatments, more this and that to fill up your suitcase for the trip home:).

I agree. It was significantly less for us to get two connecting Category 9's than one Category 4. More room for over $1,200 less!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter