• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Family of 5 - separate sleeping - which resort?

mom7011

Earning My Ears
We are trying to plan a trip to Disney in January. We went before in '04 and loved it - had two connecting rooms at POFQ. Would love to stay in one of the two bedroom villas but having trouble with a reservation and haven't learned enough about renting points from members. That said, anyone have a suggestion as to where to stay? We love the idea of separate bedrooms and having the kitchen in the villas - two of our boys have life threatening food allergies so having a kitchen is nice for us (although I know Disney is great at handling allergies). It'd be great to be on the monorail but to get two rooms at one of those resorts might break our budget. I forgot how far in advance some of the planning is!

How about an All-Star Music Suite? They have a small kitchen, 2 bathrooms, and 2 bedrooms. How many people are we talking about? The cabins at Fort Wilderness sleep 6 and have a kitchen too. Otherwise you might want to reasearch renting points for a villa. We did that last year, and got a 2 bedroom villa at the Beach Club for the same price as 2 moderate rooms would have cost.

What about the Fort Wilderness Cabins?

My family of 4 (two kids 8/9) and inlaws did that in 2005 and we loved it. The cabins are great. You get your own cabin. Full kitchen, deck and outdoor BBQ.

We could not recommend the Cabins more.

Does the family of 5 consist of two parents and three children? What are the ages of the children.

If so then the ASMu family suites is something to consider, as mentioned above. If you just get two seperate rooms at a particualar resort, there is no gaurantee that they would be conjoining rooms. Or you could look into the suites at the Modereate resorts.

When I was planning our trip for our family of 5 I decided on a standard room in a Deluxe resort. Due to the $ it came down to the family suites at All Star resort, the trundle room at POR or a deluxe. The trundle room was too small for our needs and I didn't want to stay at a value resort so that left us with the standard deluxe room.

I believe there are a few types of rooms at deluxe resorts with seperate rooms and kitchenettes but they are really expensive. The best bet if, $ is an issue (as it is for most of us!! :laughing: ), is probably the suites at All Star. They do have kitchenettes. They also fill up quickly so there may not be any left at this point for January but it is wort a try.

all star suites - have a queen bed in the master

then a chair bed, and a love seat bed. (some may have another chair bed).

I think your brothers would love it.

-------
fw cabins - have a double bed and bunk beds in the master.

in the livingroom room is a murphy bed.

the only problem is that it has only one bathroom - too many people (it sleeps 6) for one bathroom. that say if you get one near the community bathhouse - that might not be problem.

--------

2-bedroom DVC villa -

king bed in the master, queen sleeper sofa in the livingroom, either 2 queen beds or one queen bed and a double sleeper sofa in the second bedroom.

also in the new AKV - the 1-bedroom here sleeps 5
king bed in the master, queen sleeper sofa plus a chair bed in the livingroom

----
have food allergies myself. so definitely understand the need for a kitchen!!!
Disney does a good job with allergies - but because of my allergies - pepper (in the main problem) - they have a BIG problem. try to be understanding - but most of my meals take them 2 hours to prepare. Pepper (thank goodness) is not most people allergies. but warning you that if you eat in a WDW restuarant - they will prepared the food correctly - but it will take them time. So leave at least 3 hours to eat when you eat in a WDW restuarant.

What about the Fort Wilderness Cabins?

My family of 4 (two kids 8/9) and inlaws did that in 2005 and we loved it. The cabins are great. You get your own cabin. Full kitchen, deck and outdoor BBQ.

We could not recommend the Cabins more.

:thumbsup2 We stayed here exclusively when our kids were young. It's the only place they wanted. The FW cabins have the largest sq ft of any WDW rooms,except for some of the suites. Here's a picture of the layout:

fwcbfloor-1.gif

Thanks for the great suggestions! I knew I had come to the right place to ask. Our boys are 9,7,and 5 and I'd really like for them to sleep in their own room. The cabins look nice but that'd put all of us together it looks like unless we (the parents) sleep on the pull out couch. Is it difficult to get to other places from the cabins?

Our middle son is allergic to peanuts and the youngest to tree nuts (cashews, pistachios, etc) so we have to be careful - triggers airway issues that we need epinephrine to treat. Disney was great when we were there in '04 with the middle - made him safe things and treated him specially. He is used to being left out so it's nice when he can be special :)

Is the convenience of being on the monorail worth the price? Is it really crowded in mid-January? You all have been a great help!

MLK weekend and week is crowded. during their marthon it can be crowded

but mostly Jan is as empty as WDW gets these days.

the monrail is nice, but with allergies I can't recommend it. You would be very upset if during the ride to the MK or even worst Epcot (it is further away) one of your son's got sick - then they have to ride it back.:scared1:

plus everyone is in one room (unless you are rich).

VWL is NOT on the monrail - it has boat transportation - you can open a window on the boat and put your child next to it.

bus transportation is generally not a problem - the buses get enough air - people getting on and off. that they haven't been a problem for me.

be sure if you are flying that you tell the airline before you arrive about your sons allergies. so they won't be giving out peanuts on the flight.

Thanks for the great suggestions! I knew I had come to the right place to ask. Our boys are 9,7,and 5 and I'd really like for them to sleep in their own room. The cabins look nice but that'd put all of us together it looks like unless we (the parents) sleep on the pull out couch. Is it difficult to get to other places from the cabins?

Our middle son is allergic to peanuts and the youngest to tree nuts (cashews, pistachios, etc) so we have to be careful - triggers airway issues that we need epinephrine to treat. Disney was great when we were there in '04 with the middle - made him safe things and treated him specially. He is used to being left out so it's nice when he can be special :)

Is the convenience of being on the monorail worth the price? Is it really crowded in mid-January? You all have been a great help!

My husband and I slept on the pull out and it was very comfortable.
Are you renting a car? We always do and FW is very convienient to everything. I don't like the bus transportation from any of the resorts.

The bed in the living room of the FW cabins is not a pull out. It's a murphy bed that folds flat into the wall, full size, no springs sticking you. Though the cabins are not our fave place to stay otherwise - transportation was poor - the bed was comfy. We gave the bedroom to our boys and opted to sleep in the living room so we could be up later. Worked fine.

honestly, rent the golf cart with the cabin. Well worth the money and in the end the cabin with golf cart is about same or cheaper then a suite at the other disney properties.

Plus you have your own "house". own deck, full kitchen, parking spot and all that. The murphy bed is great. Give the kids the bedroom (sleeps 4 easy and has their own tv) and take the murphy bed. It is comfy.

The main pool, while no bells and whistles is great. They do a ton of family games plus the arcade, volleyball and playground is all right there. The nightly movies and campfire made for super family moments.

Then you have a launch to MK for fast get around.

Super stay at the Cabins

:thumbsup2 We stayed here exclusively when our kids were young. It's the only place they wanted. The FW cabins have the largest sq ft of any WDW rooms,except for some of the suites. Here's a picture of the layout:

fwcbfloor-1.gif

Perhaps you were excluding the villas in this comment but all one BR villas are at least 200 sq ft larger than the cabins with the smallest over 700 sq ft.. Add about another 350 for a 2 BR, etc..

We did love our 2 stays in the cabins when we had babies.:cool1:

Allears lists the cabins as 502 sq ft. The larger rooms in the Polynesian are 476 according to Tikiman with much better bed choices IMO.

But if you're set on separate rooms than the cabins or All Star Family Suites are the most economical choices. The cabins have a full kitchen but I think the Family Suies just have microwaves and refrigerators with counter space, etc..:confused3

DH and I stayed in a Family Suite at All Star Music ( a value resort) in Sept. of 2006.

We really enjoyed the Queen size bed, the kitchenette with the microwave, having a sofa and cushioned chair to sit on and relax after a day at the parks before retiring for the evening.

I thought the pullouts very comfortable.

They are designed so the back cushion and seat cushion of the pullout support the pullout. There is no metal bar to hurt the sleepers back.

Info thread--Pullouts in Family Suites at ASMU with photos of how the pullout is supported.

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?p=18100990#post18100990

Here is the layout of the Family Suites:

ASMusic_FamSuite_layout.jpg

Here is my review of the Suites:

www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=17640774&postcount=7

For more photos and info please see this info thread:

http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1392879

Have fun at Disney wherever you choose to stay!:wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter