Family of 5 - choices limited

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just did POR with an 8, 10,11

The refurb end rooms are fine for 5. A bit bigger and the pull down bed is really nice. We will be back next year

We have 3 kids - 7 8 and 12. AKL and WL don't have regular rooms for our size. I don't really want a value resort and deluxes are too $$.That leaves POR with one kid sleeping on a bench. Doesn't sound too magical when I type it out LOL. I wish the other deluxes allowed 5 without having to upgrade to a deluxe room. I also don't see why WL can allow a 5th in a crib but not a roll away bed. Don't nention fire codes and occupancy because a child under 2 is still a person during an emergency. Don't mean to be a downer but I really want to be onsite but $ wise feel spsqueed out. BTW I have spent one night at POP and the value pools just don't appeal to me.
Unlike other resort areas, there are a ton of great, affordable off-site options for a family of 5 around Disney world. Everything from timeshare resorts to rental homes. You may discover that staying in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom 1200 square foot villa for less than the price of a tiny Disney value room is "magical"

I know the bench doesn't sound too magical to you, but to a seven year old to get their own special bed you might be pleasantly surprised. I would go with PoR hands down. I am also a family of five so I feel your pain.

:thumbsup2 We stayed in March and my 10 and 4 year old fought over who got to sllep in the Princess and the frog bed. It was very cute, and quite comfortable from just sitting on it myself. The 10 year old was a little big, so the 4 YO won, but if he wanted to he could have slept on it. So yours would be fine. We had a room at AOA booked for April, and switched it back to POR because even with the extra room, 2 of our kids would have to share a double pull out, but at POR we would actually have 2 queens and the murphy bed for the 5 YO.

It's not really a "bench" at POR. Have you seen it? It's a murphy bed which is just a bed that folds up... regular mattress and bedding. It's definitely not big enough for an adult but the younger kids would be fine on it.

Yes, the new ones are much better than the trundles that were on the ground. My kids never complained about it at all.

We have also stayed in two rooms at a value (music) and that was nice because of the extra space, but I like Riverside much better because of the food court, resort theme, river boat and Piano Bob!

We stayed at POR when our kids were the ages of yours, but we got connecting rooms. It was great to have the extra bathroom, and we really did love the resort. I liked being on the mansion side of the resort.

We are a family of 5 and when my kids were that age we all stayed in value resorts just put all 5 of us in one room..... really you are hardly in the rooms to start with!!!

We are a family of 5 and when my kids were that age we all stayed in value resorts just put all 5 of us in one room..... really you are hardly in the rooms to start with!!!

Dont think as i would try that these days. Its listed as a 4 person occupancy room. You are essentially breaking disney booking rules. If someone complains that you have more in the room than allowed and how did they get away with that, you may be asked to leave w no refund. If CM figures it out you will be asked to leave. their job is at stake.

also i think by suggesting this its breaking a rule here on boards as "of ways of breaking the rules at disney".. i dont care but i like to save someone the embarrassment while at disney with their kids.

also only 4 keys issued and only 4 people can partake in tix and DDP...

Hopping on to this if you don't find..this is my first time looking into WDW for a family of 5 and I too am a little disappointed with my choices...

Are Swan or Dolphin an option?

I love the Swan and Dolphin, and usually stay at the Swan. For 5 people, you could stay at the Dolphin in a standard room with 2 beds and a rollaway.

seriously come on no one complains and really who cares they were kids.... and we did this only 3 years ago..... the house keepers dont care... FYI they are not going to kick you out of Disney bcz you have an extra person in your room........ Also I didnt tell them to do it, I SAID WE DID IT !!!

Dont think as i would try that these days. Its listed as a 4 person occupancy room. You are essentially breaking disney booking rules. If someone complains that you have more in the room than allowed and how did they get away with that, you may be asked to leave w no refund. If CM figures it out you will be asked to leave. their job is at stake.

also i think by suggesting this its breaking a rule here on boards as "of ways of breaking the rules at disney".. i dont care but i like to save someone the embarrassment while at disney with their kids.

also only 4 keys issued and only 4 people can partake in tix and DDP...

seriously come on no one complains and really who cares they were kids.... and we did this only 3 years ago..... the house keepers dont care... FYI they are not going to kick you out of Disney bcz you have an extra person in your room........ Also I didnt tell them to do it, I SAID WE DID IT !!!

If they catch you, they will kick you out. If not, Disney would be in serious trouble with the Fire Marshall. And they have the authority to shut down any business who has enough safety violations. And being over occupancy in a room is a safety violation.

If enough people had your attitude, a lot of people would care! Only one extra person in a room at a value resort such as the All Star Movies would mean another 1920 people at that resort. The facilities are not set up to handle that extra amount of people. Not the food court, not the pool area, not housekeeping, and for sure not the buses! We would all notice another extra couple of thousand guests!

Rules are rules. And one of the rules of the Dis is to not post about ways to go about breaking Disney's rules. I see you are new here, so you may be unaware of that rule. Most posts that advise breaking Disney rules go "poof.

Did you use magical express? Did you use extra magic hours? Both require everyone listed in the room to use it.

You didn't tell them to do it but by saying that you got away with it infers that they could too.

We have 3 kids - 7 8 and 12. AKL and WL don't have regular rooms for our size. I don't really want a value resort and deluxes are too $$.That leaves POR with one kid sleeping on a bench. Doesn't sound too magical when I type it out LOL. I wish the other deluxes allowed 5 without having to upgrade to a deluxe room. I also don't see why WL can allow a 5th in a crib but not a roll away bed. Don't nention fire codes and occupancy because a child under 2 is still a person during an emergency. Don't mean to be a downer but I really want to be onsite but $ wise feel spsqueed out. BTW I have spent one night at POP and the value pools just don't appeal to me.

Just wanted to let you know, we have five and I totally feel your pain. Values don't appeal to me and I was a bit nervous about being crammed at Por.

When are you planning your next trip? We booked Por for jan 15-21 and were able to upgrade to the poly this week with a 35 percent off code and stay within our budget. :)

Are you going at a time that traditionally has deals available? It really changes your options!

We are 5 as well and we always end up paying out the nose for villas and 2 bedroom suites any time we travel. Don't get me wrong, I love the upgraded rooms and the kitchen (and w/d in room) is a huge help. But for once, it would be nice to go on vacation and not feel like we could have bought a car or boat for what we pay.

For us though, it comes down to convenience and comfort. I don't want to go on vacation and be crammed into a room that's too small, or feel obligated to sit in the dark after the kids go to bed or are napping. That's no vacation. So we stay in the deluxe 2 bdrm villas to make it a vacation for ALL of us (mommy included) and try not to cringe too much when I see the price.

OK. We've seen this debate before it ends badly for all.

Reminder : Advocating against Disney rules, policies or procedures, notably those affecting safety, is not permitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter