Family of 4 in a studio???

jupers

DIS Veteran
Hi All,

Just would like to hear some experiences from families of 4 that have stayed in studios. The kids are 3 and 7 and are fine sleeping in the same bed. We're in ROFR on a contract that allows us enough points to do at least a week in a studio every year or a 1 bedroom every other, without borrowing, only banking.

We've typically stayed at mods, just wondering how the studio compares to that?

All studios on property will have queen bed and pull-out sofa that sleeps 2, the exception being OKW which will have 2 queen beds in all studios; some prefer OKW for this reason because they do not want to sleep on pull-out sofa and others prefer resorts with pull-out because they like having a sofa to sit on during non-sleeping times. Studio should be comfortable for your family for couple of years, but you may find as the kids get older a 1 bedroom villa is nicer option with separate master bedroom and full kitchen and, also if you get a 1 bedroom villa at BLT, OKW or AKV(those that are not AKV value category) you will also get a pull-out chair that sleeps 1 in addition to sofa that sleeps 2.

Best wishes and hope you'll hear that you have passed ROFR real soon so we can officially welcome you to the party :goodvibes

One year DVC member here...

Our kids are kind of similar ages (9 & 5, actually), and we have found that we do just fine in a studio! We have stayed in 2BR (pre-DVC), 1BR and Studio, and we have found that for us, right now, the value of a studio is too good to pass up while we can manage it.

We certainly spread out more in a 1BR, which makes it harder to pack up, lol. But we are not smooshed by any means in a studio! It totally works for us!:cool1::cool1:

GL!

My family--me, DS21, DD17 and DD13 (those were their ages at the time) stayed a 1 week in studios at BWV, VWL, and BLT.

It worked out without any issues. I will say that the BLT studio was a little tight but we were all "adult" size and it was only for two nights.

I think you will do fine.

Depends on their wake-up times -- our DD 10 gets up between 6:45 and 7:30 every day...even on weekends and vacations. DH and I stayed with her in a studio once...never again. We're on vacation, not forced confinement.

My $.02

The studio should be just fine for the four of you. I make sure to make up the sofa bed everyday and convert it back into a sofa, or else the room looks messy and cramped. Keep in mind that there may be a balcony, which my DH and I end up spending most of our time in. It makes the space feel much larger and it's a quiet place to retreat to. Have fun!

I like 4 in a studio, except that there is no laundry. I would consider putting the kids to be in the master in a one bedroom so you can have the living room. My kids were easy to move while still asleep. I do like the living room aspect of the 1 BR. Every other year will give them time to miss Disney and appreciate their visit. I would go 1 BR.

We do 4 in a studio now and then and are fine. I think we all forget here that most families of 4 who go to wdw are in a standard hotel room, many of which are smaller than a studio.

A studio is comparable to a regular hotel room -with the added benefit of the small fridge, microwave & toaster. We've done it - but it was when our kids were younger and we were newer visitors to the World.

Now, we've been many times & enjoy the extra space of a 1-bedroom .....( okay - who am I kidding...a 2 bedroom!) to be able to spread out & relax a little more.

With little kids & a heavy park plan, it works just fine.

We are a family of 4 as you can see from my post, both children are adult size and we have never had a problem.
and also if your in a studio, although the washer and dryer are not in the room they are never "very" far away, and minus the detergent they are free.:cool1: I would save the points for multiple trips

that's all we have done- studios. we are a family of 4, 2 DS's (11 &10). never had an issue. we've stayed at BCV, SSR and Kidani.

We have stayed in studios when kids were younger. As they grew into teens, that became a little tougher, thus we added on pts. But you will be fine. Studios are bigger than mods, plus more amenities. When you 1st walk in, it may feel a little small but opens up quickly. Have fun!!

We have done 4 in a studio many times. When the kids were small we were only in the room to go to sleep. We had days split between the parks and the pool. We used a one bedroom as they got bigger and we needed a bit more space. As another poster said you don't have laundry facilities in the room but they are close by and free. If you plan to use the laundry room check it for detergent before you buy it. Every time I have needed it there are several bottles of detergent there that people have left behind!

If you can handle four in a moderate you can handle four in a studio. :) The studio has the added benefit of the small kitchenette area and you can close the couch up during the day to give yourself more floorspace. I'm pretty sure that the square footage of the two are pretty close but when the couch is closed up (being used as a couch) it makes the room feel much bigger. We've done for (DH, Me, DS9 & DS5) many times.

My kids are the same ages. We tried it and after 2 nights upgraded to a 1 bedroom. So much nicer kids could run around and play. We go every other year for 2 weeks in a 1 bedroom.

The studio should be just fine for the four of you. I make sure to make up the sofa bed everyday and convert it back into a sofa, or else the room looks messy and cramped. Keep in mind that there may be a balcony, which my DH and I end up spending most of our time in. It makes the space feel much larger and it's a quiet place to retreat to. Have fun!

Good tip....we will more than likely fold up the sofa bed every morning before heading out just so we can feel like we have more room to relax when we come back from the parks every afternoon. We are staying in a studio at BCV, I know that it will be more than enough room for us (it is me, DH, DD9, and DD7) because I am assuming it will be like staying in the Deluxe Resorts :banana:.

Hi All,

Just would like to hear some experiences from families of 4 that have stayed in studios. The kids are 3 and 7 and are fine sleeping in the same bed. We're in ROFR on a contract that allows us enough points to do at least a week in a studio every year or a 1 bedroom every other, without borrowing, only banking.

We've typically stayed at mods, just wondering how the studio compares to that?

I think you would be fine.

That being said, we bought DVC for the 1 bedrooms on up. We were trying to get OUT of the hotel feel, so we don't do studios for more than a couple nights.

To us, a vacation is putting our child to bed, then enjoying an evening of cocktails and conversation and a great meal we've cooked, often with friends if we've booked a 2 bedroom.

The studio ranks way above mods for me, because of the balcony. I enjoy having a balcony!

Bobbi:goodvibes

Our kids are 12 and 8 and still don't mind sharing a bed so the last few trips we have booked studios and were perfectly fine. We also would fold the pull-out sofa up each day to free up space but we never were in the room much anyway.

I know we only have a couple years left before the kids decide its no longer cool to share a bed so we are trying to take advantage of the studios as much as we can before having to move back up to 1 or 2BRs again. Its great being able to extend a stay a few extra nights because of the point savings studios provide.

I think really the question is what is more important to you, longer or more frequent stays or staying in a larger room for shorter or less frequent stays. It's a question all of us have to decide when we book rooms and there are people on both sides of the issue.

The DVC trips we have taken so far have been larger rooms for a more relaxing atmosphere and having w/d and full kitchen. When our kids were your kids age we didn't own DVC and usually stayed in values or moderates and we were on the go so much that we just basically slept there. Now having gone so many times we spend a lot more time in the rooms and having the extra lounging space is a bigger deal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter