Family memories, Disney didn't rank high. Surprised.

eliza61

DIS Veteran
One of the reasons I used to go to disney over and over (outside of my obsessions) is the a reason I see here alot and that is "making memories for my family".

This weekend was our family reunion on my dh's side. I was a little apprehensive especially for my sons because they just lost their dad last October and I didn't want them to spend the entire reunion hearing "you look just like M".

Anyhoo, we went and my sons and a couple of cousins were sitting at a table playing cards, eating and swapping stories. Listening in I was glad to hear them speak about great memories with their father, then after a while I realized that..."not one was about our family trips to Disney" :scared1:

LOL. I totally admit that I was surprised. so in the car going home I posed the question. "what were some of your favorite things you did with dad". I said vacations can be included.

Again, Disney placed waaay low on the "favorites" list.

Wow!! are these my kids. ;)

I totally admit to being surprised. So all those who say "memories" can be made any where!. Here is your proof.

FYI: the thing that got the most "votes". My sons and dh are phillies fans, it was one of their "guy" things. after every game they attended they would stop by Gino's steaks and get cheesesteaks, well after a couple of years the staff got to know them and would called the boys by name and knew their order. It became sort of like their "cheers".

LOL go figure.

If I were asked about/talking about great memories of times with my father (or mother), I doubt I'd mention any vacations since all my vacations were taken with the whole family rather than with just one or the other parent.

"not one was about our family trips to Disney" :scared1:

"family trips"

"what were some of your favorite things you did with dad". I said vacations can be included.

Although you said vacations could be included, dad was mentioned specifically, not family.

I don't know how often you go, but I have been to Disney 3 times total with my parents in my lifetime: 1) When I was 2 years old (too young to remember); 2) When I was 14 (with parents, siblings and a friend; and 3) When I was 21 (with parents, siblings and spouses). Although I enjoyed both trips that I remember very much, if I had to pick favorite vacation memories with family, our much simpler, cheaper, close-to-home camping trips would definitely top Disney, and I think my siblings would probably agree.

FYI: the thing that got the most "votes". My sons and dh are phillies fans, it was one of their "guy" things. after every game they attended they would stop by Gino's steaks and get cheesesteaks,

This makes perfect sense to me to be a favorite memory of your sons of times spent with their father!

It is often the little things that we remember the most. It doesn't mean that they don't remember your trips. It just means that their favorite memories are ones that happened more often.

As much as I love my trips and as much as I love taking my kids to Disney, those are not my favorite memories of my kids. They don't happen often enough to be a favorite. But not all memories have to be a favorite memory.

eliza61 said:
One of the reasons I used to go to disney over and over (outside of my obsessions) is the a reason I see here alot and that is "making memories for my family".

This weekend was our family reunion on my dh's side. I was a little apprehensive especially for my sons because they just lost their dad last October and I didn't want them to spend the entire reunion hearing "you look just like M".

Anyhoo, we went and my sons and a couple of cousins were sitting at a table playing cards, eating and swapping stories. Listening in I was glad to hear them speak about great memories with their father, then after a while I realized that..."not one was about our family trips to Disney" :scared1:

LOL. I totally admit that I was surprised. so in the car going home I posed the question. "what were some of your favorite things you did with dad". I said vacations can be included.

I totally admit to being surprised. So all those who say "memories" can be made any where!. Here is your proof.

FYI: the thing that got the most "votes". My sons and dh are phillies fans, it was one of their "guy" things. after every game they attended they would stop by Gino's steaks and get cheesesteaks, well after a couple of years the staff got to know them and would called the boys by name and knew their order. It became sort of like their "cheers".

LOL go figure.

Food. Always the way to a boy's heart. My kids would also have fond food memories.

"what were some of your favorite things you did with dad"

What is/was some of you favorite places to go ?

Disney would be #1 on my list

A place where a dad can be a kid again

We took our kids twice when they were young--think under 10 years old. We stayed away until they were 17 and 13 and THIS is the time that they remember and when they've had the most fun. Now that they're older they prefer Disney instead of the beach! Our oldest has graduated college and moved away and is looking forward to strip to Disney World this fall--with US!!!! But some of the sweetest memories come from the smallest places.

OP, I'm so sorry for your loss.

It is often the little things that we remember the most. .

For Christmas 2011, I made up books for my mom and my mother in law. I asked all the siblings for "remember when" types of phrases or stories.

Most of the things I ended up with were tiny little memories. Remember when... "we put soap into the pool filter...the dog got lost... we sang songs in the car on the way to Lake George" type stuff. The big memories somehow didn't make it in. It's not that they weren't important, simply that they're not the things that we tend to reminisce about.

Sometimes I think we place too much emphasis on "making memories" and forget to live in the moment.

As a sidenote, we gave it to my mother in law on Christmas Eve, since she wasn't feeling well enough to sleep over for Christmas. She passed away in her sleep that night. I'm so very thankful that she had it to read that night, knowing that she and my late father in law provided their kids with such wonderful memories.

It's true, though. Wonderful memories are made in the most unplanned, unexpected times. This is some of what contributes to the wonderfulness.

LOL go figure.
I think your post title may be a bit misleading and a tad over-dramatic (although maybe that's how you meant it, in a tongue-in-cheek way). :goodvibes

It's not that your kids have "no Disney memories" -- their Disney memories just maybe aren't at the top of their list.

Disney vacations are filled with sensory overload. There are a million things to do and look at, every experience is followed with another one, and if you're going even mini-commando, there may not be a whole lot of time for each individual memory to register before the next one happens. So the whole trip ends up being one big "thing" that the family did together, not a batch of individual magical moments between kid and dad or kid and mom.

The Phillies game, OTOH, was a one-on-one thing -- just dad and the boys. It was a much more focused and defined experience without all the other "noise".

And you DID ask about "favorite memories with dad". Even though the boys probably loved the vacations you took to WDW as a family, they probably don't sit in their heads as "memories with dad". They aren't specifically dad-related.

Had you asked about "favorite memories of family vacations", you would have gotten a very different answer.

:earsboy:

OP, I'm so sorry for your loss.

For Christmas 2011, I made up books for my mom and my mother in law. I asked all the siblings for "remember when" types of phrases or stories.

Most of the things I ended up with were tiny little memories. Remember when... "we put soap into the pool filter...the dog got lost... we sang songs in the car on the way to Lake George" type stuff. The big memories somehow didn't make it in. It's not that they weren't important, simply that they're not the things that we tend to reminisce about.

Sometimes I think we place too much emphasis on "making memories" and forget to live in the moment.

As a sidenote, we gave it to my mother in law on Christmas Eve, since she wasn't feeling well enough to sleep over for Christmas. She passed away in her sleep that night. I'm so very thankful that she had it to read that night, knowing that she and my late father in law provided their kids with such wonderful memories.

WOW!!!! Just gave me goosebumps. I am sorry for your loss...

It is often the little things that we remember the most. It doesn't mean that they don't remember your trips. It just means that their favorite memories are ones that happened more often.

As much as I love my trips and as much as I love taking my kids to Disney, those are not my favorite memories of my kids. They don't happen often enough to be a favorite. But not all memories have to be a favorite memory.

:thumbsup2

I think your post title may be a bit misleading and a tad over-dramatic (although maybe that's how you meant it, in a tongue-in-cheek way). :goodvibes

It's not that your kids have "no Disney memories" -- their Disney memories just maybe aren't at the top of their list.

Disney vacations are filled with sensory overload. There are a million things to do and look at, every experience is followed with another one, and if you're going even mini-commando, there may not be a whole lot of time for each individual memory to register before the next one happens. So the whole trip ends up being one big "thing" that the family did together, not a batch of individual magical moments between kid and dad or kid and mom.

The Phillies game, OTOH, was a one-on-one thing -- just dad and the boys. It was a much more focused and defined experience without all the other "noise".

And you DID ask about "favorite memories with dad". Even though the boys probably loved the vacations you took to WDW as a family, they probably don't sit in their heads as "memories with dad". They aren't specifically dad-related.

Had you asked about "favorite memories of family vacations", you would have gotten a very different answer.

:earsboy:

Thanks WD,
threads that offer "experiences" are hard for me to describe in a short sentence. the ones that I ask a question are pretty routine but the ones where you make more of an observation can be tough.

I think that your post is a good reminder as to what is really important in life. The themeparks are nice but it's really all about the people and special times with them can be had anywhere.

I agree with WDSearcher...you asked for memories with Dad...and the Phillies games are just that. It was a tradition for them too it sounds like, so that made the moment more special too.

I'm starting to think, after years of listing to my kids talk to their friends about the things we've done/places we've gone, that there are two classes of memories - those that are about the people, and those that are about the place.

When my daughter talks about going to a ballgame with her dad, she talks about "he taught me to keep box scores", "he took me on the carousel", etc. When the kids talk about going to the zoo, the first thing that always comes up is DH walking on his hands on the elephant-track path that's painted on the walkways. But when the kids talk about Disney it is "I beat my high score on Toy Story Mania", "the class in the Seas was awesome", "the sushi at California Grill is so good", "the pool at the Beach Club is amazing". DH & I are there but the things that stand out in their minds are the unique things about the place; the stronger memories of us as people happen in familiar places that can sort of fade into the background of what we were all doing at the time. ETA: That isn't unique to Disney - travel memories in general seem to be about the places than the people, while the stronger "people" memories are of traditions and routines like going to ballgames, the zoo, up north, etc.

What I, personally, have noticed about the term "Creating family memories", when it comes to Disney vacations is it's used when someone is justifying a vacation they can't really afford, or, when taking kids out of school for a theme park visit, or, spending money on a trip when they just lost their job.

If folks are just going on a regular vacation where they don't really need to convince anyone else with a justification, I rarely see that term used.

My wife and kids and I have been on over a dozen family vacations to Disney together. If I had to list my favorite family memories of our life together I doubt anything that took place on Disney property would crack the top 100.

I have to say that Disney, or any theme park, would just not rate high on meaningful memories.

You know, it really is the little things...
The one-on-one...

We've all heard the old saying...
Spend a fortune on a week long vacation trip, and all the kids remember is the evenings at the hotel pool.....
with mom and dad watching who could do the best cannonball, etc.... ;)

You know the MasterCard commercials...
Spend XXX amount of money on a large gift... The huge box - PRICELESS!

I wanted to make plans for DS and his best buddy this summer.
You know, really do something... go to the mountains, a very nice theme-water-park, etc... I mentioned several things, different times... Really, I tried.... NO RESPONSE....

Watching them work together one evening, with some new equipment out back, well into the late twi-light hours, into the darkness...
In and out of the garage, coming in to grab drinks and snacks... PRICELESS.

PS: We are very sad right now to learn that this friend's mother is having some serious financial troubles, and is deciding to move 45 minutes away.... These boys have literally grown up together... And she will be uprooting this kid moving him away from his community, his school (starting high school), his friends, his favorite grandparents who have been like a second mom and dad.. etc... :(

When asking about memories, people tend to focus on specific things. Disney may very well rate much higher for my kids specifically because they've only been there once. Or maybe not.

One of my favorite childhood memories is a 6-week road trip we took that included a day at Disneyland. BUT, Disney ranks pretty low on the list of highlights on that trip. Dad & I getting caught by a rogue wave in our street clothes and being soaked to the knee, having a snowball fight on my birthday (July), sharing the backseat with my sister AND a redwood burl coffee table, Fisherman's Wharf, driving our car through a redwood, etc. These are my memories of the trip.

If I specifically asked "with Dad" I'm sure I would get varied answers.

But if I asked family vacation memories, WDW would be at the top.
(The trip we took in 01 with extended family, the kids were good ages, 8, 7 and 5, etc. It really was a blast!)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter