• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Family members who don't know your kid's name

My son's name is Zachary. My mom and my sister INSIST on calling him Zacky. He's asked them not to, but they still do it all the time.

I was married to my DH for over 30 years before my DILs died and they still called me by the wrong first name.

My son's name is Brandon. He had a soccer coach that kept called him Brendan. He was shouting to my son on the field one day and finally one of the other parents yelled "His name is BrAndon, not BrEndan!!" I giggled, but I felt bad that they corrected him in front of everyone.

When I speak to my dear sweet 91 year old grandfather on the phone, he introduces himself to me as "your Uncle Ed." I actually find it sweet. He gets bonus points for remembering my name. I am one of 17 grandkids and 30+ great grandkids. :)

DH and I have been married for almost 20 years. I never changed my last name, stuck with my maiden name for professional reasons. Some relatives still introduce me or send me cards... "First name, hubby's last name". Too many years trying to correct, now I just go with it.

Well, I have never known a Brendon, lots of Brandons, so if you pick an uncommon name, it is more likely to happen. And I speak as someone with an uncommon first name that people confuse with 3 more common first names.

Brandon is the 42nd most popular boys name of all time. Brendon isn't in the top 100. (mine isn't on the list either)

:scratchin TV isn't on the list of top 100 names??? :rotfl:

When I speak to my dear sweet 91 year old grandfather on the phone, he introduces himself to me as "your Uncle Ed." I actually find it sweet. He gets bonus points for remembering my name. I am one of 17 grandkids and 30+ great grandkids. :)

My uncle is approaching 90 years old. When he calls a few times a year, he always gives his full first and last names. He answers the phone the same way. I suppose that's how he's always done it in his decades in the business world.

My grandmother occasionally would call my by one of my cousin's names. No big deal. Even my mother would sometimes slip up and call me her brother's name.

Jim

My oldest is Alyssa and my Grandma couldn't hear well so she would pronounce it Alicia, and then it became Lisa...but we knew who she meant and Alyssa knew who she meant so we just let it go and laughed about it.

When she was little there were people at school that called her Melissa and I said, "don't they know your name is Alyssa?" She said "I told them a million times so now I just answer to Melissa". :confused3

I have 36 nieces and nephews and great-nieces and great-nephews. I couldn't begin to tell you all their names. I may get the first generation ones right, but I've never even met some of the "greats."

Queen Colleen

My cousin name is dominic but people including family call him dominique.

Another cousin named Kelvin always gets called Calvin yes even by family

I have a Brandon. And it's not the *old* people (my parents, DH's parents) that get it wrong. It's DH's sister! Sometimes she calls him Brandon. Sometimes she calls and spells Brendon. I would get it if, let's say, one of MY aunts got it confused (they don't). But his aunt? Who is just over 40 years old? Honestly, I think it is a bit weird coming from her.

My daughter and I get this alllllllll the time !

my daughter gets called my name, I get called my mothers name, she gets called all sorts of names, as do I.

my two boys are constantly called each others names !

Usually you can get away with correcting it, by repeating the name corretly and saying how they are

Kids name is Bob. Person asks "hows Tom ? " the reply is "oh Bob is doing real well "

We won't get into spellings.

I worked with an Eriika, the girl next door is Erica, and the clerk at the grocery store is Airika.

My sons' first names begin with the same letter... but my oldest is a Jr. And people constantly mix up their names. In my head, I don't understand.... People don't (usually) make the second son the Jr. :confused3

And there were several Christmases where my younger son wouldn't get a gift in the gift exchange with dh's extended family, bc people got confused... His first two Christmases, probably even the third, he didn't notice bc of age. And after that we insisted they were not put in the exchange (that did NOT go over well) and instead brought them each a gift from home to open. They got better gifts then also! Then we quit going all together. Woohoo!

I'm slightly hard of hearing on my right side. I sometimes just can't hear certain ranges so I get names wrong all of the time. I do try and I call people what I think of hearing.

I worked with a girl named Anastacia once. I still can't hear that correctly. She didn't pronounce it Ana-stazia, nor Ana-stasha. It was somewhere in the middle.

When I was growing up, our next door neighbor, who had been there for years so knew my family very well, called me Carol (my name is Patty, my mother is Carol) and my mother Betty (and we have no idea where she got that from).

It got to the point where if she would call out "Carol!" I'd answer and my mother wouldn't even blink. Kind of became a cute little neighborhood joke. ;)

I think our family is a magnet for incorrect names. Ds is Braden so is always called Brandon. I always assumed Ava was a fairly simple name, but you would be surprised how many times she's been called Eva or even Ah-vah. A man at our old church called my dh Adam the whole time we lived there. His name is Patrick so I have no idea where that came from.

DD is Amelia.

Can't even begin to count the number of times she has been called "Amanda," "Olivia," or "Emily," even by my aunts, etc.

We have pretty much given up correcting them. My mom, however, has no problem correcting her SILs, etc. :rotfl2:

My father can NOT get my best friend's DD7 name right. She has been Megan since the day she was born, and we just go with it . Child's name is actually Macon. LOL , my dad is 87 , but can hear fine, and is just fine mentally . He sees this child all of the time, we are very close with her family.

I really just think my dad thinks her name is silly , though he hasn't said it. There is NO REASON for him not to know it , we finally quit correcting , though my Mom will say something and he just ignores and keeps talking. Thank goodness my best friend is relaxed enough and adores my father so she gives him a pass on this one.

I think our family is a magnet for incorrect names. Ds is Braden so is always called Brandon. I always assumed Ava was a fairly simple name, but you would be surprised how many times she's been called Eva or even Ah-vah. A man at our old church called my dh Adam the whole time we lived there. His name is Patrick so I have no idea where that came from.

I know a little girl who's name is spelled Eva, but is pronounced Ava....not sure why they thought that was a good idea. :confused3

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter