• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Family Magic Tour?

bethbuchall

DIS Veteran
I just discovered the Family Magic Tour and have a couple of questions. I think that my ds (turning 5) would love this as a birthday treat, but is it really worth 2 hours of our time? It would mean changing our Crystal Palace breakfast PS to a lunch PS, too.

My other ds (13) does not like the idea of skipping around the park calling attention to himself. I'm thinking of having dh and that ds spend the time elsewhere. Do you think dd 10 would be happy on the Family Magic Tour or is it geared for much younger children. I'll probably ask her before I book it.

Do you ride any rides during the tour (besides the one at the end)? I've read the reviews at All Ears, but I still can't get a true feeling of exactly how you spend all that time. I guess my biggest concern is whether the 2 hours is too big a chunk out of our day. We will be spending 7 days in the parks and could probably afford 2 hours, but I get a bit commando about "wasted" time.

Thanks for any insight.

Beth

We loved the Family Magic tour, we have done it twice. My dd's were 3 and 6 at the time of both our tours. My dear neice (9) enjoyed it also. I thought it was some of the best money spent at WDW. But, if you are a commando style diser, I don't know that you will enjoy it. The whole atmoshpere is one of fun and silliness... if you are going to spend the whole time thinking you could be doing something else I don't know that you will like the tour. We looked at the tour as a break from all our "must do and must see" things. We will be doing it again in April and I can't wait!

I thought about doing this tour, and it sounds like a lot of fun, but because my stay is not very long I decided two hours out of the most precious chunk of the day at MK was too much for us. I'd probably feel differently if I were staying longer and planned other days at MK.

Also, if you have a character meal planned, all that time would add up, and that would essentially be your MK experience that day. Again, if I truly had all that time to spare it might be great but I'd personally feel frustrated having so much time booked. Just my humble opinion...

Doing the the Family Magic Tour has some of the best memories for us WDW. It was just this last August. My son was 11 years old! Yes, most of the kids were younger, but he fit in fine, helped to carry the "book", guessed some clues. He had a great time.

But... 1) We wish we had done it when he was younger.
2) While we were on the tour, we were wishing that we could ride some of the rides that we passed by.
3) We were short that day on time because we had another reservation for lunch, meeting another family, so we felt rushed the rest of the day.

I think it would be good to just take your youngest son on the tour and then meet up with the rest of the gang at lunch.
But, if you all do decide to go, it will be a great time. Take lots of pictures. You can also get a family picture taken with the characters.

:yo-yo:

Thanks for everyone's input! I am taking my ds who is turning 5 that day and dd (10) on the tour. I figured why spend the money to torture ds (13) since my dh would do either happily. They may head over for a morning at the Studios, since it is Star Wars weekend. I gave my dd the option, and she really wanted to go on the tour even if she is one of the older ones.

mydream--I particularly appreciated you saying that you wish you had taken your ds on the Family Magic Tour when he was younger. There will be other WDW vacations for us, but only one when my "baby" is turning 5. I can definitely enjoy a few hours out of all of our time there doing something special for him.

I am getting excited about this and not worrying about missing "park time." My ds love treasure hunts of any kind. He is always asking me to make one up for him. He is going to be thrilled. I re-scheduled his "birthday breakfast" as a "birthday lunch" without any problems.

Thanks again! I'll let you know how it all turned out when we get back.

Beth

That's cool, Arielsdad. When are you going? Ours is Sunday, May 16th.

Thanks for the link to the additional info.

Beth

Bethbuchall,
I'm excited for you!! I'm counting down the days until our trip, May 21st-29th. We're going for the Star Wars Weekends as well.
I think you made a wise decision. Your son will never forget it!:wave2:

Thanks, mydream! May can't come soon enough...but then it will all be over! I think I'll have to start planning a trip for August 2006 for dd's 13th when we come home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter