• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Family & Children Services Emergency Placement Home Study Questions

Lucky Bug

Can you hear Cri-Kee chirp?
There is a long story behind why it is that we are having a home study done early next week. I won't bore you with the gory details. The short of it is that, we have our niece's toddler in our care. She has spent more time with us than she has with her mother or her father since her birth. She calls us Dada and Mama. She is an absolute joy to have around. The situation has arisen that requires that someone step up and take on court appointed guardianship/custody of the child. Her mother has asked us to do it in the past in a written notarize format, if the need ever came up, but not in any sort of official court documents. Her mother is currently in jail and her father has domestic violence charges against him as well as a long history of alcoholism and abusive behavior. Neither set of grandparents is up to the task of caring for the baby for their own health and/or behavioral reasons. So, short of her entering the foster cares system, we are her best hope of remaining in the family. We wanted her before she was born, but did not push her mother to take her then for more of those gory detail reasons. ;)

We are both gainfully employed in the healthcare industry and we both work from home. We have a room in our house that is just for the baby. It's a beautiful little toddler girl's room. Our home is fully child proofed. We not sure what to expect since this home study is being done for emergency placement circumstances. Has anyone gone through this? Can you give us an idea of what to expect? I am not worried about the house being clean or unsuitable in any way. We have several cats and dogs, but they are all well groomed, vaccinated, and "fixed". We enjoy parenting this little precious angel. She is a blessing to have around. She is very good natured and every day is a new adventure for her. We are both on the same page on parenting, discipline, our hopes and expectations for her future, and all of that stuff that most parents get to think about for 9 months before becoming parents. We don't have any children and are in our late 30's and early 40's. We put off kids because it never seemed like the right time. Well, just before we found out about the pregnancy, we had decided that we were going to take measures to have one ourselves or adopt. In many ways, this just seems like so many questions that we have asked of God being answered. Like I said, she is a blessing.

Any perspective that you can give on what you or someone that you may know went through with a home study like this would be appreciated. Thanks.

I can't help on the home study but wanted to wish you good luck. It sounds like you are a great family and you did the best thing for this little girl by stepping up.

Im not sure but I bet your worried about nothing, aside from having the physical stuff it sounds like you both love her. This is a slam dunk

I'm an adoptive mom, and if anything I'm sure my process was more thorough than yours because you're already connected.

Some of the things they asked in my homestudy:

How do you plan to discipline the child?
What's your childcare plan?
What's your plan for providing medical care?
What are your thoughts on connecting your child with their birth family?
What are your plans for connecting your child to their birth culture (because we're a transracial family).

We also talked a little bit about my family history, no real skeletons in the closet.

The most intense questions I got were about the transracial piece, which may not apply to you at all. Overall, I think it would be hard to fail.

I am another adoptive parent, my daughter came to us as an infant from another country.

The questions the prev poster listed were what I also considered the most difficult.

Not sure, but from what I understand, the home study for non-relative adoption is more detailed than for a relative adoption/guardianship.

Don't stress about the house. As long as it is safe and clean (think normal person, not Martha Stewart clean) and in an area of the same, you should be fine. A social worker friend pulled me down from the ceiling when I was freaking out before our home visit. They didn't look under the beds, or in the closets and I think she skipped the basement. Really, it seems they are looking for ways to approve you, not decline you. They want homes for kids, especially homes with stable, loving families.

Our social worker even told us after that she is actually happier seeing a home that looks like a child could really live in it, vs a model type home. Seems like a happier place for the child. She either told us that after I admitted to stressing since our 7 year old made it hard to keep it looking as I wanted for our interview, or when making our first post-placement visit and I'm sure the house wasn't as great as before our new baby came home:)

I am also and adoptive mother and had similar questions as the above. They also go through and make sure the home is child proof. Has smoke detectors in certain places like outside bedrooms, kitchen, above doors. We needed our water tested but we have a well. They will let you know what is required. Don't sweat it since you are related they will make it extremely easy for you.

Good luck. You, DH and your future daughter are so blessed to have each another.

Another thought: Some things they might look for are fire extinguishers, smoke detectors, all sharp objects out of reach, all potential toxins (meds, cleaners etc . . . ) locked up, and any lead paint (if you have a house from before 1978) safely covered and not chipping.

There is a long story behind why it is that we are having a home study done early next week. I won't bore you with the gory details. The short of it is that, we have our niece's toddler in our care. She has spent more time with us than she has with her mother or her father since her birth. She calls us Dada and Mama. She is an absolute joy to have around. The situation has arisen that requires that someone step up and take on court appointed guardianship/custody of the child. Her mother has asked us to do it in the past in a written notarize format, if the need ever came up, but not in any sort of official court documents. Her mother is currently in jail and her father has domestic violence charges against him as well as a long history of alcoholism and abusive behavior. Neither set of grandparents is up to the task of caring for the baby for their own health and/or behavioral reasons. So, short of her entering the foster cares system, we are her best hope of remaining in the family. We wanted her before she was born, but did not push her mother to take her then for more of those gory detail reasons. ;)

We are both gainfully employed in the healthcare industry and we both work from home. We have a room in our house that is just for the baby. It's a beautiful little toddler girl's room. Our home is fully child proofed. We not sure what to expect since this home study is being done for emergency placement circumstances. Has anyone gone through this? Can you give us an idea of what to expect? I am not worried about the house being clean or unsuitable in any way. We have several cats and dogs, but they are all well groomed, vaccinated, and "fixed". We enjoy parenting this little precious angel. She is a blessing to have around. She is very good natured and every day is a new adventure for her. We are both on the same page on parenting, discipline, our hopes and expectations for her future, and all of that stuff that most parents get to think about for 9 months before becoming parents. We don't have any children and are in our late 30's and early 40's. We put off kids because it never seemed like the right time. Well, just before we found out about the pregnancy, we had decided that we were going to take measures to have one ourselves or adopt. In many ways, this just seems like so many questions that we have asked of God being answered. Like I said, she is a blessing.

Any perspective that you can give on what you or someone that you may know went through with a home study like this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Usually in some cases if you have had the child in your care and custody for about 2 years, the home study can be waived by the parent who has physical custody of the child. I wish you the best of luck during your home study.:hug:

Thanks so much everyone. :grouphug:

We survived the home study. :yay: Things went very well. The house was clean, but not so orderly that it looked like we were total overboard on being neat freaks. I think that any time that someone can walk into a house with 8 animals and not smell animals :eek:, they kind of know that the house is going to be ok for a kid. ;) Not to mention the fact that everything was perfectly in order, except our bedroom because we had just unloaded the dryer and there were clothes all over the bed that needed to be folded. The baby was in her swing napping when he arrived, but woke up around the same time that we were finished with the paperwork. We had picked up from the morning "toy tornado" that had spread toys from her room to practically every other room of the house, just before he arrived, but we left a few of her more loved toys in the living room for her to find in their usual spots once she woke up. I am very glad that step is over. Now we are in waiting mode to see if either of the parents or other relatives decide to put up a fuss. I am hopeful that none will given what we have observed so far.

Thanks again!

Just wanted to send some well wishes to you and your little one, hope the process goes well! :)

Let me just say how lucky this little girl is to have you for parents! You sound like you have a nice loving home for her.

A little update.....
The parents are still immature and so not ready to be parents. We ended up going to court and were awarded Concurrent Custody. Basically, the baby has more than the average number of parents now in the eyes of the law. She is almost 20 months old now and knows that she has a Mommy and a Daddy aka her birth parents and she knows that she has a Mama and a Dada, which is us. She chose these names for us, we did not ask her to call us these names. She is growing like a weed. She is beautiful, smart, funny, imaginative, curious and brave. We wake up every day happy to have her in our lives. While her mother could keep her anytime that she wants, she usually only does so overnight every once few weeks. The father now has court ordered visitation a couple of days a week, but he doesn't always use it either. The baby knows who is raising her and who she visits with. She knows that this is home. We hate letting her go when she does go visit them. She is all too willing to come back home to be with us just when they have had enough of her.

Anyway, thanks so much again for helping with the info a while back. It was much appreciated. :)

A little update.....
The parents are still immature and so not ready to be parents. We ended up going to court and were awarded Concurrent Custody. Basically, the baby has more than the average number of parents now in the eyes of the law. She is almost 20 months old now and knows that she has a Mommy and a Daddy aka her birth parents and she knows that she has a Mama and a Dada, which is us. She chose these names for us, we did not ask her to call us these names. She is growing like a weed. She is beautiful, smart, funny, imaginative, curious and brave. We wake up every day happy to have her in our lives. While her mother could keep her anytime that she wants, she usually only does so overnight every once few weeks. The father now has court ordered visitation a couple of days a week, but he doesn't always use it either. The baby knows who is raising her and who she visits with. She knows that this is home. We hate letting her go when she does go visit them. She is all too willing to come back home to be with us just when they have had enough of her.

Anyway, thanks so much again for helping with the info a while back. It was much appreciated. :)

Sounds like a happy beginnin's to me, continued good luck to y'all. :goodvibes

It's good to hear an update from you on your journey to adoption. Take the time they have her and enjoy some quality one on one with your spouse. The important thing is that she is not being hurt while having visitation. I hope something more permanent is decided soon for the sake of your daughter but it does sound like she is taking it with stride and will continue with a good attitude about it all by the adults invoved. Good luck and keep us updated on progress toward a permanent solution.

make sure you have fire detectors and extinguishers.
get your shots / physical examinations and make sure the animals are all vaccinated / documented.
i think you should be good to go as long as the home truely is baby proofed.

*put your chemicals UP high - never under the sink.

if they come back with a recommendation you just fix it. good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter