Fame Academy v. Pop Idol

WDWfan uk

<font color=red>.... but you can call me Shirley :
Listening to a radio prog, I hear that these two progs are going head to head on Saturday evenings.

Fame Academy starts two weeks earlier I think but even with a head start, will it retain it's audience?

I was listening to BBC's head of programme scheduling, and he seemed to think that ITV had shafted them and that "We were here first" AND he seemed confident that Fame Academy would get the audience but........... since it is probably the same audience for both programmes aren't they both shooting themselves in the foot??

They both need viewers to phone in with their votes, and taping one of the programmes isn't going to work if the phone lines close at a certain time.

Reading between the lines, I think the BBC chap is hoping ITV will re-schedule Pop Idol ... but since it is intended to go out at the same time as last year, and was the Number One TV prog of last year, I wonder if they will.

What do you think? I'm guessing Pop Idol will get the audience over Fame Academy.

(I'd also love to hear from our younger DISers - which prog they will want to watch out of the two :) !)

Probably Pop Idol will win - but I will watch one and tape the other - sad I know LOL !

As a young Dis'er I will probaly watch Pop Idol. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: LOL

I think you are right Shirley - I think Pop Idol will catch the viewers attention, especially if Ant and Dec are fronting it again (are they? - I haven't seen any info yet) - because to be honest, I think they made the show last year! And Celebrity! LOL

Fame Academy was a long while getting off the mark for my - although I watched but like Kaylee, I will watch PI and then tape FA.

Saddo here too! LOL

I'll be watching Pop Idol. Someone I know is going to be on it, they filmed him at his work too.

Oh I like both of these they're such good fun. I think we'll probably watch Pop Idol and then catch up with Fame Academy on BBC Interactive.

I do feel sorry for Paul though he's just got over HAVING to watch BB4 all the time ;)

I just lost interest in BB half way through it. I don't think I will be watching either.

No Question really Fame Academy to pop idol is like premiership verses Div 3 The students on FA are Musicians,Songwriters and a far superior artist to the drivell glorified Karaoke that is Poo Idol ,
Compare David Sneddon or Sinead Quinn to some no mark from One True Voice or whatever their called Ive forgotten already
- NO CONTEST!
I agree with Tigger Cameron is the deserved winner of Big Brother 4,As a fellow Baptist Im pleased for him and think him a more than worthy ambassador. WELL DONE CAMERON!!

I agree with Ian, Fame Academy does seem to have more all round performers.

Plus it has Cat Deeley :)

I've never seen Fame Academy and I don't imagine I'll watch it this time. Pop Idol is fab - especially the earlier shows with the really naff contenders. I really like Pop Idol Extra on ITV2 when you get behind the scenes and start to imagine you actually 'know' them. We were in 'Top Gear' hospitality at Silverstone last week when Jeremy Clarkson put in an appearance. It's so weird - you feel as though he's your mate and you should be able to approach him and chat to him. We didn't bother, although plenty did. Wish we'd been the first to think of what one guy did and get him to chat to his mate on his mobile phone. We also saw Arnie (exiting the ITV studio) completely by chance as we were walking to our seats in the Pits Straight Grandstand.

Big-Arn-1.jpg

Big-Arn-2.jpg

Anyway, back to the subject. I also love American Idol and I'll be watching the next series of that too.

Each to his own I suppose, but if I only had another 250 years to live I'd consider a second spent watching either of those programmes as a total waste of time..........since I guess I've probably got considerably less than that amount of time left you can surmise I won't be watching either!! LOL !!

.............And as my DW says anyone who actually spends time forming any opinion about Simon Cowell ( ? ) really is in need of a life.

JMHO

mike230652

Oh Mike, I think Simon Cowell is briliant............but that means I have an opinion on him;)

I will probably watch Pop Idol (although I loath with a vengence Chas and Dave Ooops sorry Ant 'n' Dec;) ) and will watch the highlights of FA.

I receive a regular e-mail from Pop B***** which has news and mostly gossip about the music/film industry and in the last one it said FA is rigged as one contestant already knows she is going in, and has a contract etc. When it is supposed to be decided by an allegedly 'public' vote.

I must admit I've had my doubts about 'public' votes for some time on these shows.How do we know the correct person is voted off BB and other shows?? They have viewing figures and making money in mind so can alter the outcome for their show? Call me cynical....:rolleyes:

Hi Karen, Paul thinks the same as you that the shows are rigged - I try to think that they couldn't possibly be - I always try and look for the good but I wouldn't put it past them. Especially as to me it's a huge coincidence that one of the girls that got through on Saturday has already had one of her songs that she wrote become a number one and she goes out with Jensen (sp) Button !!! Now you can call my cynical ;) ;)

Also on FA the headmaster is really trying to be like "Simon Cowell" which I think is silly as there is no-one like Simon and I think he's hysterically honest..............call me sick ;) ;)

What I think is the real shame is that these programmes are gonna go head to head and although I think the contestants in FA are far more talented I think that they will lose the ratings contest to Pop Idol 2 in which case the Beeb will have to move FA back to a Friday night and admit defeat, that's just my prediction.

Pop idol for me will win. I do like fame academy and I like the way how they work on the talent that is already there, however the first few weeks of pop idol with the auditions is always amusing.

I din't like the fact that the girl going out with Jenson Button got to go into the acedmy. Given that she has already written a number one song and one of the lads competing said all he wants to do is get his songs heard means that surely she has already done what the other hopefuls can only dream of. Makes me wonder if it has been rigged and that the producers may be hoping to add some tension to the academy as a way to compete with pop idol.

I would imagine that is the girl Pop B***** was talking about.How could they possibly 'know' weeks ago that she would get in:mad: It stinks:(

....... soooo??? Are you hooked :teeth: ?

I must admit, I am! Although I can't help feeling that just before Pop Idol began, they asked Richard Parks on Fame Academy to 'up' the negative comments and be more belligerent. I think that the aggro between him and Patrick Kielty (is that the guy's name?) is stage-managed.
The difference between him and Simon Cowell is that Cowell is sincere!!

Who's your fave for Fame Academy?

Each to his own I suppose, but if I only had another 250 years to live I'd consider a second spent watching either of those programmes as a total waste of time..........since I guess I've probably got considerably less than that amount of time left you can surmise I won't be watching either!! LOL !!

.............And as my DW says anyone who actually spends time forming any opinion about Simon Cowell ( ? ) really is in need of a life.

I'm definitely with you on this one. So called "reality TV" just doesn't do anything for me (other than reach for the off button). Real life is boring enough;)

Annmarie

I seem to be watching Fame Academy this time!

I really like (I think his name is?) Peter:p Not sure about his voice, I just think he's really funny:)

Simone is lucky to be there at the mo

I am watching both ;)

Voted for Barry on Wednesday - my favourite changes every week LOL!!

I know I'm not one of the 'younger members' but here's my take on the series so far......

PI2 has been dire viewing so far - hopefully once it gets to the final 50 stage it may produce some talent rather than ridiculing people for the sake of the ratings.......but then there will only ever be one true Pop Idol:p

Will_Avatar1.gif

..and believe me I've seen enough live performances in the past 18 months to know :Pinkbounc

My view on Fame Academy 2003.....

I like Alex, good voice, good image but there's only so many ansgt-ridden, wrist-slitting songs I can take !
James comes from a neighbouring village so I'm a bit biased and is very easy on the eye :o just wish he's sing something different.
Peter - hmmmmmmmm wearing thin now
Paris - somebody on another board described his singing as 'reaching for an inner dolphin' - all the falsetto is not to my liking, wish he'd sing in a lower register as I'm sure there's a decent voice there somewhere.
Love Barry's voice but can't bear to watch him perform.
Still undecided about Alistair
Simone, Louise and Carolynne are just waiting to be voted off imho

Luckily the scheduling at the moment means I can fit the two programmes (not bothered too much about PI2 at the moment) into my fun packed Saturday nights at home with the girls :rolleyes:

Can't say I've picked up the phone to vote since the original Pop Idol programme though :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter