Facing Empty Nest...New Vacation Schedule :(

Luv2Camp

DIS Veteran
We just got back from Disney, and we're already thinking about our next trip, which won't be until 2012 (hopefully!). Since our DD will be in college then (I'm already in tears thinking about that!), my DH and I are trying to pick a new time of year to visit Disney. We've always had to go in June because of school, but now we can go any time of the year. We're considering either the 2nd week in November or the 2nd week in December. Or maybe May would be nice too? Thanks for your advice! :)

I'm in the same boat as you - my daughter is 16 now & will be going away to college in two years ( God willing...) She doesn't care for Disney ( found it "boring." when we were there 2 years ago..) she's a rollecoaster freak & would rather go to Six Flags w/ her friends... anyway - I want to go back w/ just my husband soon after she leaves for college. I'm thinking early December when it will be decorated for Christmas and I can't wait!!

I've gone several times aroung the 3rd week of May (before Memorial Day weekend) and I love going that time of year. It's definitely not cold but it's still nice Spring weather. I also find the crowds to be pretty low, compared to Summer and Holidays. Also, The Flower and Garden Festival is always going on then. Epcot looks beautiful with all of the displays:goodvibes

My two sons will both be in college next year:-)cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1::cool1:)* and we plan on going the first week in May when they will both be out for the summer.

Your daughter should be out sometime in MAy so go then before the elementary and high school kids are out.

*Too bad I can't add more than 5 dancing guys in a row.

Also I kidded my youngest son that we were going to move him in and then head straight to WDW to take advantage of Free Dining.

This is proving to be an odd time in life for me. My DD loves Disney, so it's hard for me to try to plan another vacation without her. But, I have to get used to the empty nest, right? :sad1: Anyways, the reason I was thinking about the 2nd week in November is because we'd probably hit the last weekend of the Food & Wine Festival, which I've never attended, and the 1st weekend of Mickey's Christmas Party, which sounds wonderful. We're so used to the heat & crowds of June, anything cooler and less crowded is going to seem like a dream! See...I'm so sad DD is growing up, but I'm so excited to start planning non-June vacations. I'm a mess!!! :upsidedow

My twins are now 16 and said they didn't want to go to Disney again (should I disown them?).

Sooooo.....DH and I are going by ourselves for the first time. We are going in Sept. and can't wait. We will get to do a leisurely trip and take the time to see all of the things that we missed because the kids weren't interested!

My twins are now 16 and said they didn't want to go to Disney again (should I disown them?).

Sooooo.....DH and I are going by ourselves for the first time. We are going in Sept. and can't wait. We will get to do a leisurely trip and take the time to see all of the things that we missed because the kids weren't interested!

My DS23 isn't interesed in Disney at all, but my DD17 loves going to Disney. I think part of my issue is going without her - I feel so guilty planning a Disney trip without her! I'm really hoping she'll still be able and want to go with us, but at 20 years old, I probably shouldn't hold my breath that she's going to want to still travel with her parents!

This is proving to be an odd time in life for me. My DD loves Disney, so it's hard for me to try to plan another vacation without her. But, I have to get used to the empty nest, right? :sad1: Anyways, the reason I was thinking about the 2nd week in November is because we'd probably hit the last weekend of the Food & Wine Festival, which I've never attended, and the 1st weekend of Mickey's Christmas Party, which sounds wonderful. We're so used to the heat & crowds of June, anything cooler and less crowded is going to seem like a dream! See...I'm so sad DD is growing up, but I'm so excited to start planning non-June vacations. I'm a mess!!! :upsidedow

My DD loves WDW too. We just got back from our trip. I was thinking that this might be our last family trip to WDW. But I know her, and if we were going, she would definitely go with us.

Enjoy the time with your DH, go to WDW and see how it is without her. If you can't stand it, then plan trips with her. Her schedule will probabley be easier to work with than a high school sced. Plus, time goes by so fast, before you know it, you will be taking grandbabies. I would love to be able to go another time of the year besides June, that when we go too. It is so hot and crowded. I wouldn't know what to think, low crowds and cool weather....what a dream!

My 17 year old will be starting college in one year and I have wondered how it will go. She already didn't want to go to the beach with us just last week, but she LOVES Disney World, so I have a feeling that she will still want to go with us to Disney. :lovestruc

Dh and I love the fall months Oct-Nov and the first week of December. December is great because of the Christmas decorations and is something I think everyone should enjoy at least once. We have gone in Jan and Feb but you have to be prepared for cooler weather, which is just fine with me.

Definitely Food & Wine would be my first choice. DH and I went in 2006 before we had our kiddo, and we're thinking about going back next October just the two of us again. DD2 (almost 3) can stay with my mom! :) I like the fall because it's not unbearably hot, but still hot enough to get in the pool.

My DS23 isn't interesed in Disney at all, but my DD17 loves going to Disney. I think part of my issue is going without her - I feel so guilty planning a Disney trip without her! I'm really hoping she'll still be able and want to go with us, but at 20 years old, I probably shouldn't hold my breath that she's going to want to still travel with her parents!

Probably not anytime soon - but within the next 10 years or so, I can almost bet that she'll be ready to go back with you. :)

We're facing our last trip, most likely, with our oldest DS this summer.:sad1: He's almost 18 and will be headed to college next summer. He announced to us that he would not be going anywhere next summer so this is our last chance for a while and maybe for good. Time will tell. I can't imagine going without him as Disney has been our "family's place". So I know how you feel. If you are going alone, I've always wanted to see the Christmas lights and the cooler weather would be nice. I will say though that I truly love May and the Flower and Garden Festival. Epcot is just beautiful during this time. I enjoy warm weather too and found early May to be really lovely. Enjoy this new time in your life. It's a tough adjustment..I know! :sad2: Time just travels so darn fast.

What you need to understand is that attitude of our kids evolves even after college. We have two girls, now 28 and 23, one of whom loves Disney and the other could have taken it or left it from mid-high school through college. Our "Disney Girl" travelled w/ us periodically through college. Our misguided daughter has come back around since her son was born. We're going on an all-family trip (in a Grand Villa at OKW) in September. So, enjoy some different trips w/ your husband at different times of the year than you're used to, (F&W and Christmas decoration trips are really good ideas) and look forward to sharing w/ your daughter again when she hits a different point in her adult life. I remember those tears you're anticipating. You probably don't want to see Toy Story 3 right now. :wizard:

DH and I never had and kids, we didn't want any and life is great. I think about it sometimes about never having kids around for the holidays and vacations. But the freedom we've had is priceless, our time together is awesome. I'm not looking down on people with kids it just wasn't our cup of tea, and I know you're out there saying "you don't know what you missed." You're right I don't know what I missed, but then again people with kids don't know what they missed either. So now that they are grown and out of the house there is a new freedom you can enjoy, spread your wings and fly. Do things on the spur of the moment, stay out late, be free at last.

I've got mine all planned out even though my kids won't both be in college for another 8 years. LOL

Food and Wine fest time first.

Then early December to see the Christmas stuff without the big crowds.

then end of February/early March to avoid heat because even end of April can be hot.

DH thinks I'm nuts but at least I have something to look forward to.

It is hard traveling without them. I find myself taking a lot of pics on my phone camera and texting them throughout the week. We have found that our college daughters are tired of WDW and cannot get off for a long trip, but like to fly down for a few days. I think they enjoy having the house to themselves for a while and then getting just a few days of vacation. My DD 20 will only be doing the parks for 2 days our next trip, but that is all she would enjoy.
For the OP, I would go in November or early December when the Christmas decorations are up. I would be out of Disney by about the 18th when things get super busy.

We just had our first "Empty Nest" trip to Disney and we had a great time. We could go on the rides we wanted, when we wanted to and eat at any resaurant without catering to the kids.

We went the second to third week of May. Still a little warm but not humid.
I think next time we go alone it will be the first week of December. We've never seen WDW at Christmas.

This was our first vacation without the kids since our tenth year anniversary (25 now) Strange to think we are going back to the time before we had to figure out where they are and what they are doing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter