Facebook Security Question...

indimom

Are We There Yet?
I'm fairly new to facebook. Less than a year. So, I really don't know what is typical and what is not...
Back Story:
My daughter also has an account and we frequently use the same desktop computer. Recently, she downloaded and watched a television show online. The next day, I noticed a strange post on my wall that I didn't recognize. I commented out loud "What's XXXX?" And she said "That's the site I used to watch the television show." Apparently, I had forgotten to log out and this site somehow ended up linked to my facebook page??
Since then, I've been getting a lot of ads I didn't get before. For the most part I was ignoring it and just making sure not to click on links, etc.. But, I've had issues with Facebook locking up when I do try to post or "like" things and it seems to be running a lot slower.
Today, I tried to log in and instead of my page, I was sent me to a generic blue "facebook" page I've never seen before. There was a small box that said something along the lines of "It appeares you uploaded XYZ and are receiving ads. Then, it offered to secure my account." There was only ONE choice at the bottom of this box: "SECURE." I'm concerned this is part of the problem and not a legitimate message from "Facebook".
Does anyone know if this is a genuine message from "Facebook"?? Will you get a message like that before you are logged in?? Is there a way I can be sure?
Or is this part of the problem; and if I click on it, I'm going to upload more crap.
I've got Norton on my computer and have run additional security scans, it's cleaned up a few things. But, it hasn't gotten rid of the ads and I'm not sure if I'm running the right scans. Maybe I'm missing something?
Any other suggestions or tips? I can't seem to log in to my page now, so I can close my account completely and start new. It just takes me back to that security alert page.
Thanks for any help!

It sounds to me like you have a virus. Do NOT click on anything that comes up.

Do you have Malwarebytes? If not, download it. It's an antispyware program.

Hopefully it will find and remove the virus. If not, you're going to need to take it to someone.

It sounds like you know this, but before anyone comes along to say, "This is further proof that Facebook is evil!!!", I suspect the problem is with the site your daughter downloaded the TV show from.

It sounds to me like you have a virus. Do NOT click on anything that comes up.

Do you have Malwarebytes? If not, download it. It's an antispyware program.

Hopefully it will find and remove the virus. If not, you're going to need to take it to someone.

That's what I'm afraid of. Definitely NOT clicking on anything. I'll look into malware, thanks.

It sounds like you know this, but before anyone comes along to say, "This is further proof that Facebook is evil!!!", I suspect the problem is with the site your daughter downloaded the TV show from.

Yeah, I'm convinced that's where this came from. I had no issues at all prior to her downloading that episode. Grrr... And we're usually more careful about what we let them do with the computer. :headache:

I tried to access it again, and this is what is coming up in the box:

It looks like you downloaded software that is affecting your Facebook account and showing you unauthorized ads. We'll walk you through a few steps that will remove the software and secure your account

Followed by one box that says SECURE. That's it.

Blah. I hate trying to figure this kind of junk out. :confused:

Sorry I can't help with your current situation, as I am computer illiterate.:lmao:

This is just a tip: My DH makes all computer users (on our computers) clean the computer before we log off the internet. This is how we "clean the computer" . In the tool bar go to "safety or tools" , then click on "delete browsing history" (I make sure all boxes are checked, to delete cookies, browsing history, etc..) then press delete. Then I go to content, find certificates and press "clear SSL state". Just my .02

The biggest misconception is that stuff like this is a virus. It is not a virus, it called malware, spyware, or a pest. That is why virus protection rarely ever picks up on this. Hence, with malware, spyware, and pests, the best programs to use would be Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, and Pest Control.

Reboot into SAFE MODE with NETWORKING, download any or all of those 3 programs (Pest Control I don't think is free, not sure if it is even around but was very good few years ago), update them, and run a scan.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter