• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Facebook Question

@tbssenterprises The only real reason I'm still on Facebook is for some of the groups I'm part of. I went through a while ago and pretty much cleaned out anyone I didn't know personally and have a connection with. Then I went through and nuked a bunch of people that said such stupid things as your friend said, along with anyone (either side of the spectrum) that was trying to convince me how I should vote or feel on a topic. I did get a few friends upset but I was frank with them and said I don't need that type of behavior in my life. Sure I have a lot fewer "friends" on Facebook but I really don't care. I'd have to ask you why you are friends with people that say such outlandish things, I know I'd walk away from that person in an instant.

Facebook is not an unbiased news source that you have to read. I learned about the time that COVID shutdowns started that I have zero time in my life for the nonsense from either side. I DO NOT post anything that might be considered objectionable. If a friend has directly posted something I find objectionable I put them on 30 day pause. If I find I am continually putting them on 30 day pause I unfriend them. If they have re-posted something objectionable I will straight-up block the person who originally posted it (just check their feed - you'll see it's a pattern 90% of the time, and that is where most of the nonsense is coming from). It cleaned my FB feed right up and I am much happier for it.

I didn't say anything to the wife. She just categorized all Republicans as ignorant Rednecks.
Now that you mention politics, there are some really horrible memes on FB accusing people of supporting all kinds of nonsense simply based on the party they support. People act like everyone who supports either of the main political parties thinks exactly the same, which is ludicrous. Since you admit you posted one thing that wasn't nice, I have to wonder if you "liked" any of those "all inclusive" memes. I'm not saying you did, but if so, I can see why your DH's friend would mention it to him. I can also see why your DH wouldn't want his friends to think he feels that way. Regardless, that doesn't make what his friend's wife said okay. This is the reason I don't participate in anything political on FB & have snoozed all the people who are generally nice people, but have allowed the election to bring out the worst in them. When this is all over, I'll go back to following them.

I didn't say anything to the wife. She just categorized all Republicans as ignorant Rednecks.
No I didn't think you necessarily said something to the wife :) your comment was this:
Also, I stood up for myself to his wife to her face when she called me an ignorant redneck.

I didn't know what you said for the wife to call you names. Now that I know it was purely a political affiliation aspect, which seems to be the thing to do nowadays to paint the broad brush, I have a better understanding of the situation.

You can block people on FB, change the audience of your posts to "friends" but that won't do as much good if you don't enjoy being around them because of how they view you. So I'm back to more is this the friendship y'all want? I still think the issue lies with your husband more than this whole thing being on your shoulders. He seems more concerned about the friendship part than the insults and tattling his friends are doing with respects to his wife but that's my outsider perspective.

I am however assuming that your husband is aware of how you view things, maybe y'all don't talk too much about politics and FB if your outlet, IDK, either way I only see a few true options here either they are told to lay off the gossiping, y'all stop being friends, you stop posting entirely on FB (and assume that past posts could still be brought up in physical get togethers) but we can only tell you things that may mean they don't see what you post but that may not much for the other stuff. Maybe a cool off period for getting together and you doing the blocking and changing of the audience for your posts could help a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter