• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Facebook Page for the child who nearly drowned on the Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Breaks my heart to hear this. What a strong family to be staying positive about going home. Will continue to pray hard.

I am a neonatal nurse practitioner and we deal with asphyxia frequently unfortunately.

What they posted is very grim, sadly :( Chase may need a tracheostomy if he cannot keep his own airway protected from secretions and his autonomic dysfunction will make him prone to stroke, which will only damage things more. The only "bright side" (which is a very dismal side indeed) is that likely the personality and sentience that was the little boy has likely gone. Hopefully he will not have enough consciousness to be uncomfortable from contractures and other issues.

This is the hardest to see in patients.....their personality/soul/essence/etc has left the building, but their brain stem is intact. Parents are left caring for a shell that will keep on for a long time :(

I so wish his family didn't have to go through this.

As a mother of a child with special needs from a stroke and being around a TON of kids like him I have to tell you their soul NEVER leaves. They may have a new way of speaking and navigating their brain but they always have their essence and their soul. I hope that other parents who are going through a new brain injury know this. It is really not true that they lose their soul just how they express themselves is different than before, sometimes drastically, but they are always the same kid.

I have to add.... to describe a child as a shell really??? Come on???

Sorry I need to address the "grim" posts. Yes he has had a severe injury but it is WAY WAY WAY too early to conclude that his prognosis is grim. We were told our son would never walk, talk, recognize us as his parents, know his name etc... He does WAY more than they ever said (goes rock climbing, swim, talks, knows who we are and much much much more etc...). Doctors MUST give worst case scenario but millions of kids prove them wrong everyday. So please for the sake of Chase's family, who I am sure are scouring the internet right now looking for hope, can we leave out all the "grim' comments? Like I said MILLIONS of kids suffer brain injuries that are catastrophic only to have MIRACULOUS recoveries. A child's brain is plastic and can adapt, adjust and believe it or not REPAIR when injured. So please I beg you guys to stop with the negative posts. I am 12 years out but to a new parent reading these you are making a horrible terrible tragedy worse with these words.

I agree with not assuming the worst. While there is damage to important areas of the brain, none of us know how severe. God is in control nadir sounds like the family knows this. I know we're it me, if given a choice of losing my child altogether or being given any chance whatsoever of a life w my son, however changed, I would chose to have him w me without hesitation.

I will continue to pray for the whole family.

Let's not start picking on one another.

Praying for a safe trip home and strength for the family and Chase.

Unfortunately I think what sapphire said is more likely realistic...an anoxic brain injury will have a very different outcome that a traumatic brain injury where the brain as been battered/bruised...in that case there can be healing of the tissue, in his case from lack of oxygen the tissue is dead. I think false hope is a cruel thing...

However, I am a firm believer in faith and God has performed lots of miracles, the biggest of what we celebrated two weekends ago. I do believe in the powers of prayer.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Sorry I need to address the "grim" posts. Yes he has had a severe injury but it is WAY WAY WAY too early to conclude that his prognosis is grim. We were told our son would never walk, talk, recognize us as his parents, know his name etc... He does WAY more than they ever said (goes rock climbing, swim, talks, knows who we are and much much much more etc...). Doctors MUST give worst case scenario but millions of kids prove them wrong everyday. So please for the sake of Chase's family, who I am sure are scouring the internet right now looking for hope, can we leave out all the "grim' comments? Like I said MILLIONS of kids suffer brain injuries that are catastrophic only to have MIRACULOUS recoveries. A child's brain is plastic and can adapt, adjust and believe it or not REPAIR when injured. So please I beg you guys to stop with the negative posts. I am 12 years out but to a new parent reading these you are making a horrible terrible tragedy worse with these words.

I agree. It is early and no one knows all the facts. Here is just one story of a little girl who had a near drowning who was pulsless for about 45 minutes and is doing great after a cord blood infusion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rL7oCPjFlK4. Who knows, maybe they banked Chases cord blood and can try that. I pray they had a safe flight home today and will certainly be following Chase's fight.

They made it home; there is a new post on the CaringBridge site!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter