Facebook Blackmail

I just reply "Good cause, but I never paste and post".

Literally every day I learn some new thing that makes me happy I'm not on FB.

Yesterday for Cyber Monday I bought myself one of those Instant Pot cookers. In the course of searching for recipes, I read that there are multiple Instant Pot FB groups, and I would have to go there for recipes. Nope. Some more reading, and found out there is apparently well-known DRAMA on these particular FB groups.

IT'S JUST A KITCHEN APPLIANCE.

Posts like these make me wonder how it's possible that so many people haven't matured any since high school. It's the same silly stuff all over again. I wasn't a lemming then & I'd don't repost or share stuff now.

If I feel like sharing I do. Most of the time I just keep on scrolling. If someone unfriends me their loss,

Yesterday for Cyber Monday I bought myself one of those Instant Pot cookers. In the course of searching for recipes, I read that there are multiple Instant Pot FB groups, and I would have to go there for recipes. Nope. Some more reading, and found out there is apparently well-known DRAMA on these particular FB groups.

That's really funny!

I only got dragged into Facebook because a long term online scrapbook group I participate in moved there. We've been on Facebook for a number of years now as well, and I'm happy to say it's been completely drama free. And no, I haven't been sucked into the entire Facebook universe.

I just scroll on past, I'm always getting private messages from people with the silly games, name x things people don't know about you etc. Well, to start with, there is obviously a reason they don't know so why the heck would I say them now. I always just private message back you know I love you but I don't do games or chain letters.

The cancer ones do get annoying. Like there's a faction of people who are rooting for the cancer to win!

As far as the "I love my kids" type ones--I only re-post them if they're particularly annoying. And then, I post them on my DS19's wall! You know, "Repost this if you have a strong, handsome son who is the light of your life, and you just want to give him a big hug and kiss!" DS19 just loves when I do that. Not.
Okay that's kind of funny. I have never thought of those obnoxious posts as a weapon! This could be fun...

I have 3 boys with autism and about once a month someone will post that it's "Autism Awareness Month" and that "Special needs kids are not weird, strange etc." and ask that we re-post it. I usually just comment "Have you met mine?" or "Mine are."

I nearly spit out my drink.

I see the "Special Education Awareness" month kind of ones in the wrong month, and I have commented. Why the heck would special education month be in July???
Then I feel like a jerk because it's not like awareness should be limited to a month, but it irks me.

I'm really not all that mad about the chain letter type posts as my mother who posts inaccurate (and sometimes inflammatory) stuff ALL THE TIME. [I'm talking picture of dead babies with a quote that US Military bombed these babies] I try not to argue with my mom OR be political on FB (even when I agree with her), so I have to try really hard not to fact check her.

As a rule, I don't repost any of those messages. What really bugs me is when I comment on a friend's status and immediately get a private message saying I fell for a joke and have to post something ridiculous from a list. I never do it. I don't care what we're supposed to be raising awareness for. I just ignore those messages. I also don't repost or respond to those messages that say "I want to know who my real friends are so copy and repost this." No thanks.

Ugh, I got one of those from a good friend over the summer. They were asking me to post something embarrassing to raise awareness for something. I ignored it, but I remember I felt annoyed.

I also skip by the posts from a student's mom or teacher that ask for likes from every state in a certain amount of time.

I do love my instant pot! I haven't been able to navigate the Facebook site for recipes. I really like Bob Warden's books. Slow Food Fast, and another one. We should start a thread here to share recipes. I don't make a lot of one pot type meals, but I use it all the time for pasta, potatoes, rice, dried beans, yogurt etc. I had a hard time finding just basic simple things it could do.

Jesus hates Facebook, btw ( that is in response to the pp commenting on the 'if you scroll past this, Jesus cries' nonsense. lol

I do love my instant pot! I haven't been able to navigate the Facebook site for recipes. I really like Bob Warden's books. Slow Food Fast, and another one. We should start a thread here to share recipes. I don't make a lot of one pot type meals, but I use it all the time for pasta, potatoes, rice, dried beans, yogurt etc. I had a hard time finding just basic simple things it could do.

Jesus hates Facebook, btw ( that is in response to the pp commenting on the 'if you scroll past this, Jesus cries' nonsense. lol

I'm glad it's not just me. I did try poking around trying to find the recipes but I can't think of a worse platform than FB for that!

Thanks for the book heads-up.

I made a thread over here. :) http://www.disboards.com/threads/instant-pot-recipe-and-owners-thread.3563144/

Do these FB posts bug anyone else? You know the ones..."copy and paste this post about cancer, addiction, mental illness, etc. if you want to stay my friend. I'll have to drop you, block you, etc. if you don't". I scroll past, rarely reply, but the blackmail does annoy me. Anyone else?

I think they are stupid, and based on which one of my friends post these sort of things repeatedly, I'm pretty sure it's a reflection of a lack of common sense.

However, I wouldn't call them 'blackmail'. I've never seen anyone actually follow thru on these posts that suggest that they are reducing their friends list. I just keep on scrolling by them.

Blackmail...it doesn't mean what you think it means...

I'd hardly call those posts blackmail.

Those "amen" posts are part of like-farming, which is a total scam. You put "amen" in the comments, as do several thousands, some share the photo, some like the page, it goes viral around FB and eventually whoever owns that account, let's say, Joe Bob sells his page to some sort of business because they have thousands of followers. (that's the gist, at least.) Those "Disney Cruise Line." pages are the same (note the period).

Those "amen" posts are part of like-farming, which is a total scam. You put "amen" in the comments, as do several thousands, some share the photo, some like the page, it goes viral around FB and eventually whoever owns that account, let's say, Joe Bob sells his page to some sort of business because they have thousands of followers. (that's the gist, at least.) Those "Disney Cruise Line." pages are the same (note the period).

Yep, and those "If you can post two states that don't have an e in their names in ten seconds, you're a genius" posts are the same. My mom posts them (and the others) all the time. I complain to her about them and she'll just say, "Well, I didn't make them! I just shared them."

I agree with all the above being annoying. I have very, very few friends, mostly family. Recently had a few distant relatives friend me.....Most of their posts are like these or just full of family drama. Had to unfriend some of those, especially the girlfriend of one who kept posting selfies to his page and somehow would always wind up on mine, lol. Nice not to see all those "duck lipped" selfies anymore.....
The one I hate most at the moment (and again it is always a friend of my facebook friends that gets posted to my page), is the 'beautiful friend', pick 3 to 5 of your best pictures of yourself only and post. I think these posters just want an excuse to post pictures of themselves showing lots of cleavage and make up, lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter