Face Characters

Status
Not open for further replies.
ya, I kinda agree with OP . . . about 50/50 like others said.

We ran into a Snow White in January who was, well, NOT Snow White looking at all and I think was trying a little too hard to sound like Snow White, very screechy. . . .BUT she was really sweet to my son, gave him a kiss on the cheeck and everything, how she looked didn't matter to him one bit, he was just happy to meet her.
Same with Cinderella on the same day. Sorry, but she had a nose I think was too large for the part. I know it sounds shallow on my part, but you know again, my son didn't care and he sang "Sing sweet Nightingale" with her just the same.

As long as their into the role and look "enough" like them I guess it doesn't matter the kids.

On the same note.
We met an Alladin too that left me and my husband SO IMPRESSED. He sounded just like him and everything, I mean perfectly believable.
The Belle we met at storytime was PERFECT. Just how I would think she'd look in person. Small and petite, cute features, not super beautiful but "just right".

I love the face characters, though I am slightly biased (I am friends with a lot of them).

I agree that some of their faces don't seem to "fit" the character. It almost seems like as along as they are the right height, they will do. There was a horrible Mary Poppins in Epcot this past April.

I can imagine it's quite difficult to find someone with the right look, who is attractive enough, that can also act and sound the part on an improvisational level, interacting with unpredictable young children all day long AND willing to work for just above minimum wage in the Florida weather. I'm amazed they have any face characters at all!

The Snow White I saw a WDW last year was very pretty and I think looked a lot like *Snow White*.....she was kinda chubby in the face though which I don't think is a bad thing at all...I actually thought it was nice to see a real looking role model for the all of the little princesses that come to visit. Aladdin and Jasmine at WDW are IDENTICAL to their cartoon versions....Sleeping Beauty was very pretty but just doesn't really look like her cartoon self....and Ariel I think is almost TOO pretty....like you know how she is supposed to be really young, like a teenager...she just looks like a supermodel to me!

yea - i have to agree on the Ariel thing with her not looking like a teen or very young adult, but i guess it would be quite difficult to hire those who were underage full time for such a gig.

i do have to say that generally i catch DH (and several other dads in the vacinity) checking out Ariel though. (come on dude - like you have never seen a set of sea-shells before, get over it and move on.) that would just be creepy if she were truely under age.

generally i have been pleased with the face characters i have come across - but agreeing with most here, Snow White is usually more on the money than most.

(side note: i once saw a woman that was a guest at Chief Mickeys when we were there - dead ringer for Snow White. more than one CM working there even said to her that she should apply. her looks, and actions - everything was just right on. she also had the cutest daughter that was so very excited to see the characters. it was a warm and fuzzy "not my own family but still nice to see" Disney moment.)

- lori

I loved seeing your photo examples GoofyGirlnPrincessV.

I would much rather see someone that is totally into their character and may not totally look like him/her than someone who looks exactly like the character and not totally into their character.

And I also agree with your statement. It doesn't matter how much you look like them....if you don't act like the character....it doesn't have the same magic as someone who makes you believe it's really them.

This is a much better picture of the Snow White we saw last May in Epcot. She was so into character but not over the top with her voice. My DD still talks about her.
great-snow-white.jpg

And I got a couple comments when I shared pictures with some of our "single" friends.. :rotfl:

I agree with the OP...for some reason most Mulan's I've seen are in the middle aged category...They usually do a great job with Belle, Jasmine, and Pocahontas...

But whenever I see Ariel in a parade or VOTLM, she is usually... quite unattractive for lack of a better word. Same goes for most Snow Whites, Cinderellas, and Auroras

My only complaints have been a really unattractive Ariel and a non-Asian Mulan. Otherwise, I think they're mostly all quite pretty and look about as close as you could get.

The Ariel looked about 20 years too old to be playing a teenage mermaid. :rotfl:

The way everyone talked when I was there, it is pretty hard to find face characters. They have open auditions every once in awhile, and it takes forever to get trained. It took them 2 months to schedule my training, because at that time there was only one trainer for the princesses and Wendy and Alice.

They tell you that unless you are playing a character who is tan, DON'T TAN. Obviously some listen, others don't.

The tried me in the Aurora getup, but I was not approved. I was disapointed but I really did not look at all like her, plus I am short (5'4") and although they had lowered the height to that, I still think it wasn't a good fit for me.

All in all, most face charactes do a great job. I have encountered some that have been totally out of character and this bothers me more than how they look. Actions and words are what leave the impression.

I agree with alabamagirl. To me, how much in character one of the face characters are is much more important than whether or not they look exactly like the animated characters they are portraying. I've met some face characters that may not look exactly like the film characters, but I wouldn't call them unattractive. IMO, if we base a character's worth on how "attractive" or "unattractive" they are, aren't we really just objectifying them? I don't think beauty is the point of having face characters anyway. I think it's much more about getting to have an experience interacting with a Disney character in a fun way. I'm not saying that a character should look rediculously different from their film counterpart, but as long as they are friendly and in character I think that it doesn't matter if they are a little off in appearence.

The best face character we ran into was Belle at Storytime. She had the large, beautiful eyes, same face shape, and her voice was almost exactly like the real Belle's. I couldn't get over the resemblance.

The worst we ran into was Cinderella at Cinderella's Royal Table. She had a hickey on her neck (yes, it was- I saw it with my own eyes!) which was poorly covered with a small bandage and her black choker. I cannot believe they let her out there like that. DD was only 2 and didn't notice, but I sure did! I was not happy!

princess:

tmt martins said:
You think they are bad at Disney ( I don't most hit it right on and the ones that are close make up for it in personality).
Here you go Six Flags.I made DD get in the so I could get them together but I wouldn't let her near these under other circumstances.

DSC00249.jpg

OMG!!! :lmao: :rotfl2: That's hilarious!

Your DD is a true good sport! I bet she had to struggle not to make this face: :rolleyes:

Too funny. I feel bad for the people who had to dress up in those outfits. Yes, a poorly cast Disney face character would beat that trio just about any day.

:lmao: :thumbsup2

lol! that pic above is hilarious! I like most of the face characters , i especially think that peter pan looks very much like the character and seems to always be in character.
I did see a very caucasian pocahontas last time though, i said to my sister, she's not suppossed to be a white girl!!! hmm maybe i could play her , i have the right complexion at least! ;)

I also agree with the original poster, but we have seen some great Snow Whites! In fact, I am starting to wonder if it could really be her. :rotfl2:

When we visited last year we met the most beautiful and sweet Jasmine ever. She was so nice and knelt down to talk to my very shy 5-year-old son. She really took her time and didn’t just rush him to get a photograph and head to the next in line. When we left her we felt so touched by her actions that we stopped by quest services on the way out and mentioned how wonderful she was.

I'll have to scan the pic's that I have of the face characters we met but like I said before, by far the best have been Aladdin and Jasmine....here's our pic:

346853C3B467Ffp333B3Enu3D32663E93C4.jpg

Simba22 said:
I'll have to scan the pic's that I have of the face characters we met but like I said before, by far the best have been Aladdin and Jasmine....here's our pic:

346853C3B467Ffp333B3Enu3D32663E93C4.jpg

That looks like the Jasmine we saw in AdventureLand during our April 2004 trip. She was very nasty! :sad2: I got the feeling we were bothering her by being there.

My son, niece and nephew had all the characters sign one page and keep the facing page blank. That way we could add pictures to the autograph books after the trip.

While the kids we playing with Genie and Jafar, (no one was in line behind us) Jasmine walked over grabbed all three books and signed the page facing Genie's signature.:sad2:

My niece was livid. :furious: She was 5 years old then. Whenever she looks in her autograph book or talks about the trip, she always mentions how Jasmine messed up her book. :guilty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter