Fab Five heads back to the Happiest Place on Earth

Thank you for all of your posts and kind words. I’ve been a fan of the disboards ever since I read Sleeping Jedi Beauty’s trip report way back in 2006 (I think that was the year). I believe he has since changed his name to Sleepless Knight. I loved the way he described his family and his love for Disney. I’ve always wanted to do a trip report after reading his and I’m so glad we have received such a warm welcome. It is wonderful that we have a place to come together and share our stories and pictures.

Day 5 – Big Band and Big Tears

After spending such an awesome day at the ocean, we were ready to head back to the parks. We wanted to see World of Color again so we headed to CA early. If you are staying at the GC, the CMs will let you in about one hour before the park opens so you can get your FP for WOC before anyone else comes in. It took less than a minute to get our FPs and then we went over to Soarin’as that part opened at 9:30am.

I don’t think I ever mentioned this before but I love to make movies about our trips to Disneyland. I’ve made one each year we have been there since 2007. This year we decided to do some lip-synching to the songs that we were going to use in this year’s movie. So all week, I had us looking like crazy people singing in the middle of crowds all over the parks. It was so much fun! Some of my favorite moments were watching my kids acting like goof balls just singing their hearts out, not caring how they looked. So carefree.

The day before, when we went to the beach, the song “Hey, Mickey” came on in the car. You know the one, “oh, Mickey, you’re so fine, you’re so fine you blow my mind”. (Are you singing it in your mind yet) My DD1 stated what a cool song that would be to have in our movie. I completely agreed and even though we only had two days left, I was going to make it my mission to get enough Mickey footage to have that song in our movie.

So after we rode Soarin, the guys went back to ride Screamin. While the girls and I were headed over that way, Mickey came out to get into his spot for pictures and autographs. We were the third in line. What timing! When it was the girls turn, I asked them to start singing Hey, Mickey. It was so fun, they started singing, Mickey started dancing and even the CMs started singing in the background. It was a magical moment for me. I was so excited, I’m not sure if I even got any footage of it but I think I did. It was my turn to spend some time with my favorite mouse, I gave Mickey a hug, told him I loved him and thanked him for the dance. The girls and I floated away as if we had just met a celebrity. Speaking of which, this was the first year that we saw some celebrities. We saw Kathy Ireland waiting to go on the sub of Finding Nemo. We also saw the guy who played Zac Efron’s dad in High School Musical pushing a stroller in CA. We loved it because they both were just casually enjoying their day at the park.

We met KCMike and DS after they rode Screamin. The kids wanted to ride the Ferris Wheel. KCMike only wanted to ride on the outside one that does not move in the middle, same as the girls. I thought to myself, he is such a big baby for not wanting to ride the ones that move. I told DS that I would go with him and we would have so much more fun than KCMike and the girls. I didn’t take into consideration that I didn’t have any breakfast and I still have some ulcer problems. About half way up, I realized that this was not a good idea. By the time we were at the top, I asked DS to stop moving or I might throw up all over him. After hearing this he stayed very still and I focused on the lettering of his shirt. We got down to the bottom of the ride I was so happy that I didn’t throw up. BUT WE DIDN’T STOP! The happy CM tells us as we pass by her “One more time” with a big smile on her face. I’m thinking, “What the heck”, I thought it just went around once. I was going to have to do this all over again. I started praying. I felt myself turning green! Fortunately, I made it all the way around the 2nd time and gratefully got off that ride. KCMike and the girls were waiting for us. They were so excited, jumping around and asking how we liked the ride. They had no idea how sick I was. KCMike smiled. I guess he wasn’t such big baby after all, he was just very smart.

After the Ferris Wheel, I decided to go back to the hotel to rest my tummy and then get some lunch. That afternoon, we went to see Aladdin. This has been one of our family’s favorite shows since the first time we saw it. A few weeks before our vacation, we took our DD1 to see the play Wicked for her birthday. KCMike believes that Aladdin at CA was even better than Wicked. It really does seem to be like a Broadway play. We love the Genie!!!! He always comes up with new one-liners every time we see him. He keeps us in stitches through the whole play. I hope they don’t take this play away for a very long time.

We went to It’s Tough To Be a Bug and then went over to Disneyland to spend the rest of the afternoon. The kids and I found a spot on Main Street for the Celebrate Street parade. We have seen this a few times but I really wanted to get close up to get some Mickey footage. We were in the perfect spot. All the characters were right in front of us. When it was time for kids to go out on the street to dance, my kids didn’t really want to because the other kids were so much younger. But then my DD2 said, “Mom, this one is for you” and she jumped out there and started dancing with Pluto. I absolutely LOVED it. During the parade, KCMike was eating at his favorite restaurant, The Plaza Inn. He even took a picture of his food before he ate it. That boy makes me laugh.

Later that evening, we went back to CA to see Glowfest. I really enjoyed it but KCMike didn’t really like it and the kids were making fun of the dancers so we left before it was over and took our place for WOC.

Our FPs had us sitting in the same position we did on the first day. We get settled in and waited for the show to start. Right before the preshow started, my DS started acting different. He kept whispering to KCMike and he seemed antsy. I asked him if there was anything wrong and he said no. Then out of nowhere, DS pulls out of his pocket a present for me. I couldn’t believe that he would get me a present. With his own money! I opened it and it was a beautiful Winnie the Pooh watch. I had seen the watch earlier in the week and told my family how much I loved it because Pooh is my favorite. The thought of him thinking of me, going out himself and getting it was very emotional for me. He is such a sweet boy and it was such a wonderful surprise, it just really touched my heart.

We watched WOC. Just as good as it was the first time. Since we were up so early that morning, the kids didn’t want to go back to Disneyland after the show so we walked them back to the hotel room. KCMike and I wanted to see the band play and the people dance at the Carnation pavilion by the castle. I guess they have been doing this on the weekends since the park opened. We are fans of Big Band music so we were very excited.

The dancers came in all shapes, sizes and ages. It looked like a big group of them knew each other and would switch partners from time to time. They were amazing! I loved to watch them dance. I would love to learn to dance like they did. The band was awesome. It took us back to a time when life seemed simple and sincere. I was lost in the music and the dancing. It made the think of my wedding day. At our reception, we had a lot of music like this playing. My father in law shared our love for this music. That night he danced like he never danced before. When he and my mother in law would dance, it was so beautiful. They moved as one, so smooth and weightless across the dance floor. As I was recalling that day, my eyes filled with tears. I turned to tell Mike how much his dad would have loved this, but when I looked at him, his eyes were filled with tears the same as mine. His dad was already on his mind. It has been over a year and we still miss him so much. I guess we always will. I love you, Big Mike.

After the band stopped, we went on Small World. It was strange to be there without the kids but we really had a good time just quietly going through each scene. We went over to Pirates and rode that. I hear that people have been caught in awkward situations on this ride. They think that they are all alone but there are cameras everywhere. We just held hands. KCMike might have stolen a kiss or two but that is okay. Afterall, we have been married for almost 20 years. J

We went back to the hotel room. The kids were already asleep. We still watched our bedtime story even though the kids were asleep. Why watch the news when you can watch a princess?

Stayed tuned for details our last day L……….

I would love to see that video, I love the ones where they lip synch to the songs!

When you got fastpasses early (we will be staying in the Grand on Sunday) did they go in the Blue, then yellow, then red order? Because if they do, I might just wait and not get them right at the beginning if they start at blue or yellow.

Alright how about a little fun with this next post? Can anyone guess where this picture was taken?

IMG_7315.jpg

I'm going to guess the top of Grizzly Peak from the wine country side just past Sunshine Plaza, but it's a good question!

Hi, GREAT trip report!! And the pics are WONDERFUL!! :thumbsup2 Joan

I dream of those overcast mornings at Disneyland. I apologize my dreaming and wishing won out on your trip even though I wasn't on a trip. ha :)

Got to take advantage of the cool morning, you can do like 20 rides in just 2-3 hours.

I had mixed feelings about those gray mornings when we were there in early June. I wanted the pretty blue skies for photots, but man.... I wouldn't trade needing a sweatshirt at Disney in the summer for anything!

Of course, by afternoon it got good and toasty, but it really helped having cool mornings.

Again sorry but no.

Should we end the mystery or should we keep guessing?

Yes! :)

Also, loving your trip report (both of you...you make quite the dynamic duo) and the photos.

As for post processing...you may want to check out Piknik, which is a free service through Flickr (if you didn't already know this). You can pay for their premium service, but I've always found their free version to be quite adequate, especially if you're just looking to rotate your photos ever so slightly.

It's got to be somewhere near New Orleans Square or Critter Country judging from the foliage...but I don't know of any waterfalls unless it's the Pooh Ride.

It's got to be somewhere near New Orleans Square or Critter Country judging from the foliage...but I don't know of any waterfalls unless it's the Pooh Ride.

It is Critter Country. Between the area of where you get out of Splash Mtn and Pooh Corner (the store) there is an awesome waterfall. Thanks for playing.

Yes! :)

Also, loving your trip report (both of you...you make quite the dynamic duo) and the photos.

As for post processing...you may want to check out Piknik, which is a free service through Flickr (if you didn't already know this). You can pay for their premium service, but I've always found their free version to be quite adequate, especially if you're just looking to rotate your photos ever so slightly.

Thanks I will check it out. I really don't like any post processing. Part of the art of taking shots is making it as perfect as you can when you shoot it. Just my opinion as I do enjoy others who do some PP. I will take a look at piknik as I do need something to adjust the horizons. Thanks again.

Here are some more random shots from the trip. Hope you enjoy.

IMG_7677.jpg

Not sure if you can see this or not but next to Winnie the Pooh ride near the exit is a stream that seems to have golden water.
IMG_7692.jpg

We ended up finding a sort of hidden walkway that goes around and area where you can see people riding on splash mtn make the turn and head back towards the final scene. Fowlers Inn comes into view when you make the turn around the bend. Thought it was a cool little area.
IMG_7702.jpg

Mickey's view in Fantasmic!
IMG_7732.jpg

Here's another round of photos from the trip.

IMG_7691.jpg

IMG_7619.jpg

IMG_7375.jpg

IMG_7531.jpg

Thanks for following along. Stay tuned as my wife is working on the final day in the parks and our fly out day.

I'm so glad I found your trip report! I'm loving the commentary and the photos. And your kid-less night? Priceless.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter