FA Cup importance?

Praying Colonel

DIS Veteran
This is my first full season following EPL soccer and also getting into the FA Cup. How important is the FA Cup considered in England?

As I understand it, you have blind draws each round to see which teams play each other? I was watching the replay of the 4th round draw last night and was half-expecting Liverpool to draw Tottenham or Man City after just having played Arsenal. Thankfully, no.

If it's a blind draw before each round, that's a pretty interesting way to jumble things around. I'm imagining the NCAA tournament with a blind draw before each round. It would totally mess up our bracket challenges, but would make for an interesting tournament, too.

It’s important because all the levels are involved so you can have a lower league team hosting a Premier league team. The FA Cup final is held in Wembley in the spring. Probably most important domestic tournament.

So say in College Football terms, Alabama playing at William and Mary.

Skippyboo covered it pretty well - it's essentially the UK's national championship for professional club soccer teams.

I would say, in some of these earlier rounds, it's likely that the EPL teams would put a second team out there for a match, thus preserving the health of their star players for league games, Champions League matches and later round matches. A club like Liverpool can generally beat a 2nd or 3rd division team (or Wrexham ;) ) with a reserve squad.

This is my first full season following EPL soccer and also getting into the FA Cup. How important is the FA Cup considered in England?

As I understand it, you have blind draws each round to see which teams play each other? I was watching the replay of the 4th round draw last night and was half-expecting Liverpool to draw Tottenham or Man City after just having played Arsenal. Thankfully, no.

If it's a blind draw before each round, that's a pretty interesting way to jumble things around. I'm imagining the NCAA tournament with a blind draw before each round. It would totally mess up our bracket challenges, but would make for an interesting tournament, too.
Brb.

OK--what about the Carabao Cup? Is it like the difference between the Champions and the Europa?
Sorta. Its the lesser of the domestic cups and only consists of top 3-4 tiers of English football. Its more for commercial exploits IMO. The name changes as sponsors come and go (officially its the EFL cup) and the finals are in Feb. Most of time you'll find the clubs 2nd team playing. FA cup is more prestigious, older, and has more sway over getting into Europe. Winning the FA cup gets you into the Europa League regardless of what division/place you are in. Wigan won it 2013 and literally got relegated from the premier league days later.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter