EZ-Pass

skoba-nelson

Back Off, I'm Grumpy
I am considering joining EZ-Pass. I would only use it once or twice a month here in Ohio, maybe once or twice a year in Pennsylvania, in WV on the way to WDW and Charlotte for a Nascar race on two seperate trips later this year and any other east coast trips that may occur in future years.

My question is has any else signed up through a state not their own? Specifically Virginia. It looks like VA has a refundable transporter fee once you decide to quit (which I don't think I will as long as) and they have no monthly service charge if you only received online quarterly statements. For the few times a year that I might use it I don't want to pay a monthly s/c. Virginia's website tries to direct you to your own state but I noticed when I started the application process the "state" field had all 50 choices.

Any experiences on this?

I live in CT but I got an ezpass at a rest stop in either NY or Nj on our way to Va Beach one time. They had them in the rest area convenience store. I'm not sure if there's a monthly fee or not (I probably should know that). I know you can get one from Mass with no fee but they wouldn't let me use it on my truck unless I got a commercial one and I don't have a commercial truck. In CT I have to have combination plates on the pick-up and Mass would charge me more.

Anyway, you can get an EZpass from a state other than the one you live in.

Thanks Goofygirl. I didn't even check Massachusetts. I just went to their site however and started the online process and once I clicked Ohio as my state they directed me right to Ohio's site.

Maybe I could get one in Mass or NY because CT doesn't have one? Sorry it didn't work. I know people on here will have better advice because that's how I knew I could buy one at the rest stops. I think it was on the Jersey Turnpike.

Anyway, good luck!

Cannot comment on if you can actually purchase one online from another state, but I can tell you that there is no monthly fee to have one in NY. I receive a monthly statement electronically, paid no deposit and receive a slight discount on the cash toll rate. To pay no deposit I had to link a credit card so I could have automatic replenishment, which works for me anyways, one less thing to remember to do.

Cannot comment on if you can actually purchase one online from another state, but I can tell you that there is no monthly fee to have one in NY. I receive a monthly statement electronically, paid no deposit and receive a slight discount on the cash toll rate. To pay no deposit I had to link a credit card so I could have automatic replenishment, which works for me anyways, one less thing to remember to do.

What is the PANYNJ monthly Account service fee? don't they charge this?
http://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/terms_ind.shtml

I am considering joining EZ-Pass. I would only use it once or twice a month here in Ohio, maybe once or twice a year in Pennsylvania, in WV on the way to WDW and Charlotte for a Nascar race on two seperate trips later this year and any other east coast trips that may occur in future years.

My question is has any else signed up through a state not their own? Specifically Virginia. It looks like VA has a refundable transporter fee once you decide to quit (which I don't think I will as long as) and they have no monthly service charge if you only received online quarterly statements. For the few times a year that I might use it I don't want to pay a monthly s/c. Virginia's website tries to direct you to your own state but I noticed when I started the application process the "state" field had all 50 choices.

Any experiences on this?

doesn't work, just tried, yes there is a field for all 50 states, but when i changed it to MD, the form closed and directed me to the list of other state websites. let me know if you get it to work. MD has a $1.50/month fee which isn't worth it since i rarely use ezpass but would like it if it was free

I really find it odd how every EZ-Pass state sets completely different rules, I live in Michigan and just a few miles from the Turnpike/Toll Road. I have gotten passes from both states (IN/OH). The Indiana I-Zoom version you can buy at CVS for $10 preloaded with $5.00. Ohio's I ordered on line it was free, but you had to preload it with $20.00. Its also funny how Indiana and Ill, chose to change the name to I-zoom and I-Pass, so they are forced to put up signs at the toll plaza to inform everyone that EZ-Pass and the other I version is accepted.

To me it seems that the overhead costs would be much lower if all the states would centralize there transponder management systems.

I live in MD, but have an EZ Pass which I bought when we lived in MA. I'm glad I kept the account, because of the monthly service fee if you buy through the state of MD.

Anyone (including Florida residents) can get an EZ pass from the participating state of his choice. None work in Florida. Suggest going to the EZ pass site of the state you are interested in, then enter your real address when you order the thing.

I have one from New Hampshire and another one from Maine. Each gives discounts on its own state roads but not on the other's.

Indiana and Illinois and I think Massachusetts had private systems with the I-Zoom and IPass and Fastpass*, er, Fastlane names first, then added EZ pass compatibility.

*I have seen signs on the Massachusetts Turnpike advertising "fast pass" although the system was officially called Fast Lane.

What is the PANYNJ monthly Account service fee? don't they charge this?
http://www.e-zpassny.com/en/about/terms_ind.shtml

Amazingly enough, there are three systems in NY, Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority ("TBTA"), the New York State Thruway Authority ("NYSTA"), and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey ("PANYNJ").

Specifically, the PANYNJ charges a monthly admin fee, the other two do not.

Amazingly enough, there are three systems in NY, Triborough Bridge and Tunnel Authority ("TBTA"), the New York State Thruway Authority ("NYSTA"), and the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey ("PANYNJ").

There are actually 4 systems in New York; the three you mentioned plus the Peace Bridge Authority in Buffalo offers E-ZPass. (Although effective this month administration of their pass has been transferred to the Thruway's service center.) There is no monthly fee and even though I live in Florida, it's the one I use for travel in the midwest and northeast.

BobK/Orlando

Specifically, the PANYNJ charges a monthly admin fee, the other two do not.

Thanks JLewis - looks like I can sign up under NY even though I live in MD.

We live in CT and got ours on-line through NJ. Since we put our credit card info in to replenish our balance when needed, there was no charge for the transponders (we got 4). We entered that we wanted a $25 charge when needed and we have had no trouble since. We use it 2-3 times a year.

Sorry to bug you again about this if you're still here JLewisInSyr ... but the the other organizations (Triborough and Thruway for example) list the PANYNJ fee on their terms and conditions also.

Does this fee only take effect if you use a Port Authority tunnel , bridge, etc? So if you never come across a PANYNJ toll you will not have this extra fee.

Thank you in advance.

We live in CT and got ours on-line through NJ. Since we put our credit card info in to replenish our balance when needed, there was no charge for the transponders (we got 4). We entered that we wanted a $25 charge when needed and we have had no trouble since. We use it 2-3 times a year.

are they charging you the monthly fee they list on their website? maybe taking it from your $25 deposit?

http://www.ezpassnj.com/static/terms/i_terms.pdf

SCHEDULE OF DEPOSITS/ADMINISTRATIVE FEES
Monthly Statement Fee by mail/e-mail $1.00 bi-monthly fee
Monthly Membership Fee $1.00
Per Tag deposit (cash and check customers) $10.00
Per Tag deposit (credit card customers) waived
Duplicate copy statement fee: .75 regular mail .11 e-mail
Fee for defaced, damaged, lost or stolen tag: Interior: $21.00 Exterior: $33.00
Returned check fee: $25.00
Tag misuse: Up to $50.00 (per occurrence)
Violation administrative fee: $25.00 (per occurrence)

Sorry to bug you again about this if you're still here JLewisInSyr ... but the the other organizations (Triborough and Thruway for example) list the PANYNJ fee on their terms and conditions also.

Does this fee only take effect if you use a Port Authority tunnel , bridge, etc? So if you never come across a PANYNJ toll you will not have this extra fee.

Thank you in advance.

It depends which agency issues your EZ-Pass (there are four agencies that use the New York CSC)... if PANYNJ is the agency assigned to you, then the fee applies, otherwise it doesn't.

Generally, many out-of-state applicants get assigned PANYNJ tags, from my understanding.

No I don't get charged a monthly fee. Not sure if they have changed since we got ours a few years ago, but I am only charged when I use the EZPass basically - I don't get charged $25/month. If I don't use it and I am at a balance of $25 I don't get charged until I use it again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter