Eyeglasses markup!!

4formickey

DIS Veteran
We just left the eye doctor last week and the cost for frames are just terrible. When I checked a couple of places online they have glasses with the perscription for as low as $15 and some of these you can just get the frames for half of that price. I really think some of them order thier stuff online and hit us with the mark up. It still takes them almost 2 weeks to get your glasses in, the same time it takes for you to order a pair on the internet. The funny part about this is that the great political leader of my state, IL thinks that taxing internet sales, will level the playing field for the b&m stores.

DH & I have been getting our glasses at Wal-Mart! You should stop by there and just get some price comparisons. We have been very happy with their quality. DH just ordered up a new pair of prescription sunglasses. They will be ready in 6 days.

We just went to Costco and my husband got one pair and I got two for the cost of one pair from our eye doctor. I even found out that we can submit the cost to our insurance company for some reimbursement because Costco does not take insurance for glasses. I have bi-focals and the scratch resistant and anti-glare was included in the cost of the glasses.

We just went to Costco and my husband got one pair and I got two for the cost of one pair from our eye doctor. I even found out that we can submit the cost to our insurance company for some reimbursement because Costco does not take insurance for glasses. I have bi-focals and the scratch resistant and anti-glare was included in the cost of the glasses.

Really .. how odd.

At Wal-Mart, its called First Sight and they take ALL insurances. :thumbsup2

Our insurance company had a form online that we downloaded and was filled out by Costco. Two years ago the cost of my glasses were around $400.00 with the insurance at the doctor's where as same glasses, slight increase were $194.00 and the sunglasses were $124.00 and I got a $25.00 discount for purchasing two pairs. I'm not sure how much my insurance will reimburse but I also have a buisness membership at costco which I will also get some back from this purchase at the end of the year. The eye doctors at Costco take some insurances, mine was not one of them but to purchase glasses, they do not accept any insurance but will gladly fill out the necessary forms for you to be reimbursed by your insurance company.

I think eyeglasses, especially the frames, are a scam.
I've had vision insurance for the last few years. Prior to that my glasses with frames (Progressive lenses) were $400. Now they are $800, but my "out of pocket" is "only" $ 400 !

Designer frames are what kill me, $200 for frames that probably cost $10 to make?

You can choose $15 frames or $200 frames.

So why do we question that, when we don't question the idea that you can buy jeans for $15 or jeans for $200? We're more familiar with clothing of various clothing, so we expect the higher-priced jeans to be thicker material, have better stitching . . . and after a certain price point -- maybe $30 or $40? -- we know we're paying for a name brand.

Frames are no different, though most of us aren't familiar enough with their construction to know what's good and bad. We don't buy glasses often enough to become discerning consumers. The $15 pairs are probably either junk or the last pairs from a discontinued style, whereas with the $200 pairs you're probably paying for someone's designer name.

One last comment: I don't recommend buying glasses online. I ordered a pair of prescription sunglasses once, and the "legs" of the glasses were very short. No one locally could adjust them, and they were so uncomfortable that I never wore them. Yes, I only paid a few dollars, but given that I rarely wore them, it was money wasted. Later I got a pair of prescription sunglasses for $70 from the mall, and I've been using them CONSTANTLY for three years. Money well spent.

I've bought glasses and prescription sunglasses from Zenni for myself and my daughter. They are great and hold up every bit as well as the $350 pairs I've gotten at Empire Vision.

Judging by the quality of my $10 sunglasses and my $100 ones, I would be hesitant to buy presription glasses for $15, unless I expected them to be disposable (meaning I don't care if they get lost or broken).

Today I just ordered my glasses from walmart.......I had gone to the same place I have always gone to and they wanted 655 for one pair.....They claimed to have second pair for you or a family member or friend free up to 300 dollars...Well after they said 655 for one pair ..I thought in your dreams...The second pair would be up to 100 for the frames and then 200 for your lens...well I like the anti glare and the progressive lens and the other stuff too.....I THINK NOT......so Walmart had a good variety of frames and I got all of the extras plus transitions for 350...I think that it was a good deal.......the lady that helped me was knowledgeable and took the time to make sure that the progressive lens would be right where they should be.....
I will get them in a week or so.

Do you have an Eyemart Express near you? We've been using them the last few years and been VERY happy with their service and quality. :)

Glasses in one hour and very reasonable prices. :)

My vision is pretty bad. I wear contacts most of the time, but just bought a pair of spare glasses just in case. I really like the optician who works in our optometrist's office. It's in an expensive area of Richmond, but I explained that these were just for backup, and I wanted an inexpensive pair. The glasses were 99 dollars, and the anti-glare added an extra $50.

Yes there are really nice designer frames, and I would probably buy them if I wore my glasses all the time. To me, this is a situation where I want a local person to do them. If something is not right, I can walk into their office, and get it fixed. In a couple more years, I'll be buying either bifocal contacts or glasses. Not looking forward to that $$$!!!

Really .. how odd.

At Wal-Mart, its called First Sight and they take ALL insurances. :thumbsup2

Not all Wal-Marts take all insurances. Mine will not bill my insurance because they are not an in-network provider. If they have something cheap that I really like I'll use them, otherwise I'll go somewhere else. I actually ended up at local chain and did pretty well recently. They were doing 50% off a pair of glasses. Fortunately, I like nerdy looking stuff so I found some great frames that were $70, but I got them for $35. :banana:

I was :rotfl2: laughing at the sales lady though because she saw I had the cheapo frames and kept trying to upsell me, but honestly, I loved the cheap frames the best! I really did! :woohoo: so that's what I got. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter