• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Exursions...Advance Booking a Must?

pewing

2Prince/1PrincessMom
Is it really crucial to book shore excursions in advance?

I am the queen of advance planning :rolleyes: but...we will be taking our first cruise AND taking baby girl (will be 13 months at the time). All that said...I think flexibility and going with 'the flow' (whatever that means ;) ) will be crucial.

Could my boys decide the days we are in port what they want to do...or will it be hard to find availability?

pewing said:
Is it really crucial to book shore excursions in advance?

I am the queen of advance planning :rolleyes: but...we will be taking our first cruise AND taking baby girl (will be 13 months at the time). All that said...I think flexibility and going with 'the flow' (whatever that means ;) ) will be crucial.

Could my boys decide the days we are in port what they want to do...or will it be hard to find availability?
ultimately it depends on the excursions ... some are popular and sell out before the cruise even starts ... others are available up to the day you arrive at the port.

The most popular excursions will fill up quickly. If you are open to anything you won't have a problem.

With a 13 month old, Disney does not offer many excursions. Most are sight-seeing type excursions. You can always do things on your own, which is what we did since most DCL excursions would not allow anyone under 5 :(

If you want to parasail at Castaway Cay, book it 90 days from sail date. It fills up right away. Flounders is open and had walk-in availability for the June 12, 2005 sailing. :boat:

DrCavin said:
With a 13 month old, Disney does not offer many excursions. Most are sight-seeing type excursions. You can always do things on your own, which is what we did since most DCL excursions would not allow anyone under 5 :(

I know :rolleyes: That is the battle I'm waging. I really am willing to stay onboard and relax with the baby and let the boys go adventuring, but DH doesn't want me to 'miss out' and wants us to do something together (we really are the 'together kind of family...the new baby is testing that one ;) )

I thought if they changed their minds...I could send them on an excursion. I even thought about signing them up and 'surprising' them, but I don't want to foreit $$ either...

Which excursions are the post popular (I noted the parasailing at CC :teeth: ) in your experiences?

I would like to know this too....which ones do I have to hurry and grab because they fill up the fastest? I know that someone mentioned that the cabana massages at CC fill up very quickly and also the jet ski eco tour at CC. Also what is the cancelation policy to book one of theses excursions? Do you pay up front? Do you have until so long before the excursion to cancel with no penalty? Or is once you book it, it's final?? Thanks! :goodvibes

Alot depends on how full your cruise is ... for our cruise last May - we didn't book any excursions until we were on the ship ... and even then, not until day 2 or 3. We just didn't know what we wanted to do. We didn't have any trouble at all and one of our excursions was swimming with the dolphins which I understand fills up quickly. But we may have been lucky.

I think alot of the excursions at CC fill up quickly - just because of the limited offerings. But of course, there is plenty of snorkeling gear to go around at CC, so that is always a last minute option.

If you have your heart set on something - book in advance. If not, go with the flow :goodvibes

The bottom line here is "it depends." If you/they really have your hearts set on something, book it. This is especially true on Castaway. Sometimes, they even sell out of floats! (I've only seen this once).

On the islands, there is always the possibility of doing something on your own. There are lots of family friendly possibilities, and doing them on your own is frequently cheaper than thru DCL, as well as allowing your own schedule. Examples--on Eastern, Coral World (with or without Coki beach), the butterfly farm, etc. Western--there's a lot to do on Key West

If you're talking about sending the kids alone--you didn't say what ages, but I'd only consider this on DCL and only if they are older. THe special teen excursions do fill, so if those are a possibility, discuss and book them ahead of time.

You really will have no problem keeping busy if you don't book ahead, but you might not be able to do exactly what the kids want.

kcashner said:
If you're talking about sending the kids alone--you didn't say what ages, but I'd only consider this on DCL and only if they are older.

My boys are 9 and 11...send them alone? :rotfl2: I definately was planning on sending DH with them. When I talk about 'the boys'...I usually am talking about all three of my 'guys' :lovestruc

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter