• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Extremely silly question about Carsland (Latex allergy)

binny

do something that MATTERS!
I guess I should preface this with the fact that I am allergic to latex, so much so that I cant be in a tire store or even in line at Costco sometimes if they just got a shipment of tires in, it is so overwhelming. Yes I carry an epipen for it, its a stupid allergy but not much I can do about it.

So my silly question is, does Carsland have that same odour or "realism" for lack of a better term?

The only place I noticed an auto shop smell was on RSR, when you go into Ramones garage for a paint job. I couldn't tell you if it was latex or not, more of an oil smell.

No, I didn't notice a tire or oil or any kind of car smell while in CL. I think you should be fine.

Well stay away from Luigi's Tires...as that ride is made up of big tractor tires hovering on a hockey rink! :goodvibes

I haven't been to RSR so can't comment on that...would think it would be okay though if you ran into it on the ride you would only be there for a few seconds. Mater's junk yard doesn't have many tires around it if I remember right. That one should be fine too.

Worse comes to worse, have someone you go with take a quick tour through to tell you which side of the 'street' you should stay on and what you should avoid. ( Like I said, Luigis tires has real tires all over it, and in the wating area as well) :worried:

Luigi's doesn't use REAL tires, though. They are inflatable, which is why they have the "don't step here" markings, because if you step on it, it deflates and causes a ride stop.

I have a very sensitive nose, and sometimes feel like the canary in a coal mine (once nearly went to the hospital in the middle of the night due to a reaction from the off-gassing in a brand new Westin), and I don't get a tire smell at all.

It isn't a silly question at all! I think it is an excellent question as I have the same question and feel your pain. I can't even shop for my own doormat at Target as the strong rubber odor in that aisle gives me a reaction. When I needed Les Schwab to fix a flat tire for me, I had to have the store employee come out to the parking lot to conduct business with me because I couldn't go into the shop because of the odor of the tires. My children can't play in bouncy houses because they come out of them covered in particles and send me into an allergic reaction. Ugh!

I'm glad to hear Radiator Springs doesn't smell of rubber. That is a big relief!

It isn't a silly question at all! I think it is an excellent question as I have the same question and feel your pain. I can't even shop for my own doormat at Target as the strong rubber odor in that aisle gives me a reaction. When I needed Les Schwab to fix a flat tire for me, I had to have the store employee come out to the parking lot to conduct business with me because I couldn't go into the shop because of the odor of the tires. My children can't play in bouncy houses because they come out of them covered in particles and send me into an allergic reaction. Ugh!

I'm glad to hear Radiator Springs doesn't smell of rubber. That is a big relief!

So you feel my pain! I am the same way, I know the guy at our local Big O and just call him to let him I need to come by, he knows to meet me out front. :)

And bouncy houses, my poor kids. I hate that too.

I have learned to carry a plastic poncho with me in case there are some rides that have rubber on them or were handled by someone wearing rubber gloves instead ofthe vinyl. All ears had this story but its on WDW and is rather outdated, I am trying to find more information on it now.
http://allears.net/pl/latex.htm

They have confirmed that they band aids etc at the med centres there are all latex free so thats helpful.

Thank you all so much! I really appreciate the help :)

I guess I should preface this with the fact that I am allergic to latex, so much so that I cant be in a tire store or even in line at Costco sometimes if they just got a shipment of tires in, it is so overwhelming. Yes I carry an epipen for it, its a stupid allergy but not much I can do about it.

So my silly question is, does Carsland have that same odour or "realism" for lack of a better term?

Okay I can so totally relate to you on this one. I am HIGHLY allergic to latex also and have ended up in the hospital because someone decided to smack me in the face with their balloon. I had a doctor flip a glove at me and 2 minutes later he was intubating me and sending me to ICU. :furious:

Tough allergy to have being a nurse.

I rode all three rides multiple times in our 8 day vacation in September and did not have any problems at all. I did however get very itchy and wheezy just walking into Flo's and had to immediately leave. DH tried to see if there were a bunch of people with balloons in there but could not find any balloons or any reason for the problem. They do use the vinyl gloves. Never did try it a second time as I didn't want to end up in the ER.

DH was quite cute looking out for me saying balloon left, coming up behind you and others. He would even move me quickly if we got a surprise attack.

The Itialian/pizza resturant in DTD was also a problems as they have a guy who makes balloon animals for the kids. We knew this and went in at their slowest time hoping to avoid the latex but I had to leave after about 10 mins because I started to wheeze. The resturant did make our stuff to go and I did not have any trouble eating the food.

Each of us react differently so just make sure the person you are with is able to get the epipen quickly and knows how to use it. Don't put the epipen in your bag on the floor of the car. The que is mostly outdoors and the inside parts are in a pretty big "airy" room. The only realistic smell I remember is the paint when they do the paint job. It did take my breath away the first time but I think it was because I wasn't expecting the smell. I did not have any itching or wheezing.

Enjoy and please report back after you go to let us know your experience. :drive:

I think I will do more research on this and try to write a blog post on it or something. I know several people who are allergic to latex and there just is not enough info out there for stuff like that. Try googling "Latex allergy Disneyland" and you get a few posts here and the Allears one but overall the information is either outdated or is buried somewhere.

I dont want special treatment or anything, I will gladly avoid what I cant be around but I want to know ahead of time if I can or cant be around it.

I called CSR and the CM that I spoke with said she didnt know of any official list of what is or isnt latex free, last I read they eliminated latex balloons from the park (except for the animals) but its just habit to avoid that sort of thing anyway. Thankfully my kids are all teenagers and dont really care about balloons anymore.

indygirl, that is horrible about the Dr! Isnt it more common for medical personnel to have latex allergies than the general public? I have always been sensitive to it but after spending so much time in Dr offices and hospitals with youngest DD it really came out as a full on allergy for me. It must be really tough to be in that field and have to deal with it.

I called and left a message for the chef to ask about the use of vinyl VS latex
gloves. More for my own curiousity now than needing it. I dont have the banana/pineapple/kiwi reaction (but I do to avacados) but now I really want to know about the gloves. Some people have very severe reactions to food that was prepared with latex gloves, which obviously means you have to be very careful about where you eat.

The CM requested that I go to Guest Relations when I got there and ask there as they have detailed ride information at the desk. I imagine that will be a long conversation. Oh well.

Now Im on a mission LOL

I think I will do more research on this and try to write a blog post on it or something.

last I read they eliminated latex balloons from the park (except for the animals)

Now Im on a mission LOL

Sorry to report that they have NOT eliminated latex balloons from the park.

Unless they have done this in the last 5 weeks.

They are tied to almost every stroller and flung around by most kids under 10 years. They are handed out like candy at the character meals and a lot of places in DTD. Several hotels give them to the kids who then bring them into the parks.

My DH spent a lot of time making sure I did not get hit with the wayward and flung balloons. His "balloon left, over on the right or coming up behind" was a big joke by the end of our vacation. He threatened to get a straight pin and pop any balloon that got within 10 feet of me.

Just know that it is possible to do Disney with a latex allergy and not have to use you epipen. AND have a good time.

Doing your research is the best proactive thing you can do. And please do share what you find out as there are more of us out there.

I don't think this is crazy at all. I'm allergic to bananas and melons. So I have to ask all the time about ingredients in breads and what type of fruit is in your salad. I'm not so allergic that someone sitting near me can't eat it but the smell of bananas makes me gag.

I was at a conference this past June and they served chicken salad on a bed of melons. I asked for the salad just on the p,ate and they said they couldn't because there was watermelon juice in the chicken salad. Glad I asked!

Friends and family joke about my sensitive nose and that I CM smell a dirty diaper a mile away. I did not notice a smell at RSR or the junkyard jamboree. Did not ride the tires so can't help there.

Thats good to know Indy, I guess the information that I read said that the ones they sell at the carts are latex free? With the exception of the latex balloon that is inside the plastic one (the Mickey head ones I guess?) Again Im going to need to do to more research on this

On another note, "Chef Chris" called me today to tell me that they have, in fact, eliminated all latex gloves in all the DL restaurants, although he could not guarantee anything in Downtown Disney as those are not owned by the park. He said his only concern was the balloon animals and that there had been talk of using the non latex balloons for those but he did not know whether or not anything had actually happened yet so to be careful around those.

He was very nice and asked if I needed anything special while I was there, as we dont really plan on doing a lot of meals in the park I said no. I thought that was really great customer service though. Very impressed as I left a message at 8PM last night.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter