Extremely Loud And Incredibly Close

I was in NYC on 9/11, and I am so not ready to watch that in a movie theater. I know it's been more than 10 years now, but what I've seen in the previews so far just looks hard to watch.

I'm not opposed to 9/11 movies (United 93 was incredible), but this looks like one I'll wait for the DVD for.

I lived it and lost many friends that day. I don't need to see a movie about those left behind, I see them daily in real life.:sad1: I know it's been over 10 years, but it's still like yesterday when it comes up.

I don't like emotionally manipulative movies.

::yes:: I don't like emotionally manipulative movies about 9/11. Really, like we need a movie about 9/11??? Do people really not know the families & friends were affected and their lives changed forever and people can't imagine what that would be like? :confused3 :sad2: Watch the REAL LIFE memorials that are on every 9/11 starting at 8:46 am. Watch the real families speak the names of the loved ones lost and see how they have been affected.

No need for imagination or a manipulated dramatization by two stars, as people have mentioned, don't go well together, but wanted to put their names on this particular subject matter. We don't need a dramatization of it.

I didn't see United 93 for the same reason.

My parents saw this a couple of days ago. My father commented, "After it was over, I thought about cheering myself up with a nice holocaust movie."

They were with a friend who had also encouraged them to see Warhorse. Next on the agenda is something funny and the friend doesn't get to pick movies anymore. ;)

Go see The Artist! I just saw that for the second time today. It's wonderful. And it won't make anyone cry. :thumbsup2

We just got back from seeing it. 3 of 4 of us liked it a lot.

It is about 911 but not only about it. It is more about grief, growing, finding, discovering and love. The kid, Thomas Horn, is amazing. This kid started as a Jeopardy contestant and went right into this movie. He is really really good. Sandra and Tom Hanks are there all the time but only in the background much of it. Same with the grandmother.

I did feel like crying only once. There wasn't much crying in the theater. Go, give it a chance. I give it a solid B.

::yes:: I don't like emotionally manipulative movies about 9/11. Really, like we need a movie about 9/11??? Do people really not know the families & friends were affected and their lives changed forever and people can't imagine what that would be like? :confused3 :sad2: Watch the REAL LIFE memorials that are on every 9/11 starting at 8:46 am. Watch the real families speak the names of the loved ones lost and see how they have been affected.

No need for imagination or a manipulated dramatization by two stars, as people have mentioned, don't go well together, but wanted to put their names on this particular subject matter. We don't need a dramatization of it.

I understand what you're saying, but by that logic there should never be any movie about or involving a real-life tragedy.

I just read the spoiler (what a great link! Thanks!) and broke into the ugly-cry about halfway through. Yeah, I wont be seeing that one.

I understand what you're saying, but by that logic there should never be any movie about or involving a real-life tragedy.

Agreed. I really don't want to see this one in theaters, since it's something I was personally impacted by. But I've seen movies about wars, about the Holocaust, and countless other real-life tragedies, and I have no doubt that people personally impacted by those would rather not see movies about their tragedies either.

You just have to hope that whoever makes these movies does it justice and tells the story right.

United 93 was actually a terrific movie. Gave me all kinds of faith that a 9/11 movie could be done well.

We just got back from seeing it. 3 of 4 of us liked it a lot.

It is about 911 but not only about it. It is more about grief, growing, finding, discovering and love. The kid, Thomas Horn, is amazing. This kid started as a Jeopardy contestant and went right into this movie. He is really really good. Sandra and Tom Hanks are there all the time but only in the background much of it. Same with the grandmother.

I did feel like crying only once. There wasn't much crying in the theater. Go, give it a chance. I give it a solid B.

I totally agree with the line "It is about 911 but not only about it". There are no scenes of airplanes flying into buildings and only a few brief images from that day. It is more of the son trying to find a way to connect with the father that he lost and hold on to to that connection. It is the journey that he takes to try to find out about the key that he finds. I was only close to tears in one or two places, but in the end I was at peace.

We went to see it last week. I thought it was very good. Thomas Horn was incredible, considering he has never acted before and was in every scene. 9/11 hit very close to home for me too, but I still wanted to see the movie. Emotionally, it was very wrenching at times.

The movie was different than I expected. If dh hadn't wanted to see it I would not have chosen it. But I liked it. I didn't cry (it was close, lol) and I usually bawl at everything.

I agree with the above. I thought the movie was FANTASTIC. I never cry during movies, but I almost cried with this one! I thought Thomas Horn (the boy) was INCREDIBLE and very convincing. So was Bullock. I highly recommend this movie. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

I don't do 911 movies but this movie touched me. Having a child with similar issues, I really felt the boy's suffering.

I see what you are saying. I guess I didn't explain myself right, as it's too close to home. I mean, I think seeing Titanic, really helped a lot of us empathize with the people caught on that Italian cruise ship when it sank a couple weeks ago. And yes, we need our movies about the Holocaust, to understand & know what an atrocity it was and to always remember so it doesn't happen again. I was thinking that those events happened so much longer ago, that they are helpful reminders of those events. Whereas, this is still too current. We still do not have a decent memorial at the WTC for the families to grieve at. :sad2:

I just don't want people thinking that because it's 10 years ago now that, they can use that event in an exploitive, emotionally manipulative way.

I guess I mean it the way JenM said below:

You just have to hope that whoever makes these movies does it justice and tells the story right.

If Thomas Horn is not autistic, he deserves an Oscar (his name in the movie was Oscar too).

I thought the movie was more about a little boy's need to find the lock for the key he found in his father's possessions and facing his fears, phobias and illness all of which he had to overcome to find the lock. I learned from the movie, just like the saying, it isn't the destination, it's the journey. You may not get the outcome which you wanted or expected but it is what you accomplished to get to the end and what you learn about yourself and what you can do when you set your mind to something.

I guess we don't need to see movies about WWII then, or the Holocaust, or any other movies that were made about any historical event, like the Titanic and Pearl Harbor. They were all real too, to the people who lived them.

One day, not so far from now, 9/11 is going to be another historical event in the lives of many, especially those who werent' born then, but will grow up hearing about it, just like WWII was for me and others.

I liked the movie, but I've watched all movies about 9/11.

I guess we don't need to see movies about WWII then, or the Holocaust, or any other movies that were made about any historical event, like the Titanic and Pearl Harbor. They were all real too, to the people who lived them.

One day, not so far from now, 9/11 is going to be another historical event in the lives of many, especially those who werent' born then, but will grow up hearing about it, just like WWII was for me and others.

While I agree with you, I would argue that we definitely didn't need the movie "Pearl Harbor"...but not because of the subject matter. :lmao:

I can understand the poster's objections. Personally SHE doesn't need them or like them. For people who had the events of 9/11 hit close to home, seeing it dramatized may be too much. It's still early I think, but in another 10-20 years we can definitely expect a full-on "Saving Private Ryan" dramatization of the events of 9/11.

Maybe those affected or survived WWII or Titanic would also not have wanted to see movie about them. Dh was at the Pentagon (luckily not hurt) and while I have watched some of the documentaries about 9/11, I am not ready to go to a theater and share my grief openly. Maybe I will rent this one and watch at home, probably not though.

We saw it and I thought it was excellent. It's not really *about* 9/11. It's about a family's journey through loss...and that loss was caused by the events of 9/11.

I enjoyed the journey that the boy goes on and the twists and turns. I especially loved the ending scenes with Sandra Bullock. And the boy who played Oscar is excellent.

We saw the movie at a matinee so the theater wasn't very crowded...but are any matinees, in the middle of the week, crowded?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter