• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Extreme new person with question

waltfan42

Mouseketeer
We have never been to Universal before, but my kids would really love to see Harry Potter theme park before we leave on our cruise May 19. I have not yet purchased a flight, but was planning on flying into Orlando (Wednesday) May 18th. The flight I've been looking at gets in at 2:00. My question is: If we go to Harry Potter directly from the airport--will it be doable? The park closes at 7:00 on that day. Is this something I should even attempt? We can't come in a day earlier, so that is our only option, unless I can find an earlier flight. Are there any indications that it will be super busy that day? It would be so sad to get there and then be turned away! Can the park be seen in that amount of time?

We have never been to Universal before, but my kids would really love to see Harry Potter theme park before we leave on our cruise May 19. I have not yet purchased a flight, but was planning on flying into Orlando (Wednesday) May 18th. The flight I've been looking at gets in at 2:00. My question is: If we go to Harry Potter directly from the airport--will it be doable? The park closes at 7:00 on that day. Is this something I should even attempt? We can't come in a day earlier, so that is our only option, unless I can find an earlier flight. Are there any indications that it will be super busy that day? It would be so sad to get there and then be turned away! Can the park be seen in that amount of time?

If the crowds now are any indication of what to expect later in the year, I don't think you'd have enough time. It's going to depend on the crowds that day. It would be a shame for you to get there that late and have to wait in line all day or you might not get in at all.

That's pretty late. You might be at the airport for an hour and then how will you get to Universal? You never know about traffic either.

Maybe you can find an early flight?

Thanks for the replies guys. I was worried that would be the case. I will look for earlier flights. What would be the latest arrival time at MCO that you think would work?

I think the only other thing I could do would be to stay at one of the hotels with the extra hour and get there at opening on the day of our cruise:confused3. How long do you think it would take to tour the park if we were to get there when the other resort guests do? Would 3 hours cover it? We will have a rental car, so we could be packed and ready to go straight from the park. Any other suggestions? Really want to make this happen for my kids (and me!).

I think you should go for it.

1. Traffic SHOULDN'T (making no guarantees) be bad enough to make you miss park hours on this non-peak day.

2. Guessing the crowd level is worthless since today the rest of the park outside Harry Potter was empty. If the park is closing at 7, it shouldn't be crowded and even if it is, I've never seen the line just to get into the land set up past 5 (what I mean by that is after 5 you can just walk into the area without a ticket and all that nonsense)

3. Let's say worst case scenario you're in the park by 6. You could ride Dragon Challenge, which usually has a 5 minute wait because people are less interested in that than Forbidden Journey (plus around park closing the park starts clearing out) then at like 6:50 get in line for Forbidden Journey no matter how long the line is--once you're in line, you're in line, and they can't kick you out of it even if the park outside is closed.

4. If you can't find an earlier flight, you should at least try, it would be a great way to start off your vacation

If the park closes at seven, there's no chance that there will be a line to get into Harry Potter by the time you get there around 4. It would be enough time to see it if you do not encounter any delays.

I really appreciate all of your info! I am going to try for an earlier flight and just head over there! I can't say I won't be totally bummed if we can't get in the HP area, but we will make the best of it knowing that it is a risk. I know absolutely zippo about Universal, but it looks like there are some other things we could do if we get there and HP is swamped (I really am so clueless!)??? We really just want to "see" everything, drink a butterbeer, and hopefully get on FJ. If we could even get that much in I would be a happy camper. Does that seem do-able on a Wednesday in May with no major holidays--even if I'm not there at opening?

Thanks again for everything!

I really appreciate all of your info! I am going to try for an earlier flight and just head over there! I can't say I won't be totally bummed if we can't get in the HP area, but we will make the best of it knowing that it is a risk. I know absolutely zippo about Universal, but it looks like there are some other things we could do if we get there and HP is swamped (I really am so clueless!)??? We really just want to "see" everything, drink a butterbeer, and hopefully get on FJ. If we could even get that much in I would be a happy camper. Does that seem do-able on a Wednesday in May with no major holidays--even if I'm not there at opening?

Thanks again for everything!
I may be wrong but I think you will be fine cause the HP area is not really that big but I could be wrong cause at the time we went it was July and extremely packed

Well, keep in mind you will be subject to airline delays (says the man who got home at 1 AM because of a delay going from Phoenix to Chicago last night!)

But if you only want to do WWoHP and can get their by about 4-5PM, you should be able to do most before closing.

The crowds are much better after 4 usually (at least my experience in July when it was very crowded), so you can walk into WW. If FJ posts 60 minutes or less, there is essentially minimal wait - you'll pretty much move through the (albeit long) line without stopping. The only bad part is the greenhouse which (if it is hot) is back out in the open and with little to look at for the time you are there. It takes quite a while to get through the castle - but that's the bulk of the attraction!

Watch the lines at the stores -they will ebb and flow. Do whatever store has no external line. Note they will cap the line for Olivanders before closing, so probably do that upon entering.

It won't take you long from the airport, so if you get in on time you'll be fine. Of course an earlier flight makes it even easier and if WW is still crowded when you get there, just do something else in IoA.

If you had the area all to yourself, you could likely do everything in it in about an hour and a half, with most of that being FJ, IMHO. That being said it is so detailed you can also easily spend a lot of time just looking!

Just to be safe, I'd get as early a flight as is practical and then if all is on schedule use the extra time to just relax!

Universal / Islands of Adventure is so much more than just Harry Potter, there are several other worlds there just as awesome, Jurassic Park, Suess Landing (like you are in a Dr. Suess book) Marvel Superhero Island, just to name a few. I would advise finding some way to have a whole day there. Not that a whole day will allow you to see both parks really, but IMO its kind of like going to Disney just to ride the Pirates of the Caribbean. Not that Harry Potter is just one ride, its one whole section of the park, but you get my meaning.

It really is worth spending time there, you will not be disappointed in the rest of the park. If you can't make the whole day of it and have the money, I would say anytime there is better than none, but its almost like going to a movie and not having time to watch the beginning and middle, but just walking in on the ending.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter