Extreme Makeover house in area --up for sale!

You know, I really think this show is ridiculous.

They did one of these Extreme Makeover homes here in Altamonte Springs. First of all, it's in a very /nasty/ neighborhood. Not as bad as some of Orlando's ghetto, but pretty bad in its own right.

So, among all these run down, dilapidated houses in a crappy part of town.. you have this enormous house monstrosity.

I stopped by and caught the tail end of the production when it went up.. and it WAS a lovely house, but ridiculous for the area it was located in.

Then, I drove by it about six or seven months ago (it's right next to the Skip's Boot Factory where I bought some new riding boots). The place was starting to look just as run down as the area around it... trash piled up in the front, lawn unkept, bits of broken bicycle pieces scattered around, a back yard full of junk. Pretty soon, it will completely resemble the ramshackle look of neglect in the rest of the neighborhood... only it will be about six times larger than the other homes.

What a waste.

It wouldn't really be "extreme' makeover if they just took the existing house and renovated it, right? We just had an extreme house done in our state and it came out beautiful, but not "over the top" it fits in nicely with the area and two brothers are sharing a room.

Although it wasn't acknowledged on the show I know that not only was there existing mortgage paid off, but the local cable/phone company gave them at least 1 free year of service. that, in addition to all the engery efficent elements in the house make it "affordable" for the family.

I do wonder though if there is a clause in any contract with Extreme that you have to live in the house for so long.

Maybe it has nothing to do with bills. Maybe something in their life changed and they have to move. :confused3

Maybe he can't afford the taxes and/or monthly charges (gas/electric, etc.) I've always said this show way way overmakes these homes. People can't afford to keep them.

Or, maybe he just wants the money....

I like to watch this show, but often wonder about the costs as well.
The people live in a small run-down place, and then they get that huge house, usually with big pool etc. It probably costs more to have it + imagine how much more cleaning.

I have to watch the show with delay, but I remember 1 episode where the mom had saved her kids during a tornaod by covering them with her body, she got a wall on her back and was paralized and in a wheel chair.
Great, they get this huge house. And how are they supposed to do the cleaning etc?

But, I love to see all the extravagant rooms. I wish I had such great ideas!

Btw, in the beginning of the show, didn't they remodel/ fix the house they lived in? I thought that in the very first episodes, they didn't really build all new houses. Like someone else said, I would also wonder about the quality of something built so quickly!

the above story about the house in altamonte springs - that's what DH and I have always thought all along: once the families "move in" and neglect maintaining them, they begin to fall apart....

This reminds me of the episode when Oprah gave cars away to everyone, but didn't include the taxes on the car. Many people couldn't afford to take the "free" car after all, especially when the insurance included comp & collision.

Frankly, I would have. I would have sold it immediately on eBay as an original "Oprah Giveaway Car." Some one with bucks would have shelled out money for the novelty of owning an "Oprah Giveaway Car." Even if it came in far below it's worth, but covered the taxes and then some so I could get a great, little used car, much older, that I could afford with much lower insurance, I'd do it.

As for the house, same thing. I'd gut it. Sell off the brand new furnishings piecemeal, on eBay, Craigslist or even Pennysaver as EM items. There has got to be some small business owner who would love to start or revamp their candy store with brand new candy displays, bought for a steal. That's how I'd get rid of that candy bedroom wall. With the money, I'd buy cheaper, more affordable items - only the things I need.

If I still couldn't afford the taxes, these houses are so large, maybe they could be revamped so that part or half of the house could be rented out for tenants who would bring in crucial money.

That 9 bedroom home could possibly be turned into a Bed & Breakfast house, if zoning allows. I'm sure some people would love to stay in an EM house and pay for the chance.

I wonder about these houses too.

I mostly think these extravagant rooms these kids will be stuck with for a LONG time. Maybe they wont want a snow room with no desk to do work on and no storage for books etc when they are in high school???

I saw one when they had triplets and the nursery was done up great and it had cameras so they could watch their kids. Great when they are babies, but are all three kids gonna sleep in this one small room when they turn 12? With video cameras on?

I don't think they think about long term enough!

I started watching Sunday nights episode of the family in RI with foster kids with a house & yard that had lead paint. They had received a letter telling them that the kids had tested high for lead.

I had the most difficult time understanding why they were on the show compared to past families. First, lead paint on older homes is COMMON in New England. Parents had no financial problems made known. No health problems made known. Had work and income. House was not condemned.

:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 Do what everyone else in New England has to do. Either sell the house to someone with older or no children and move to a newer home OR remove the lead paint.

I ended up turning off the TV because I just couldn't see why they qualified over past families. I assumed the ripped down the house because that's what that show does. I didn't see the need to do that and build a new one. They STILL needed to deal with the lead in the yard / dirt....and the yard of every neighboring house on that street built at the same time. :confused3 :confused3

This show is coming to our town soon, and there was a producer on our local radio show this morning. The DJs asked her about the taxes, the mortgages, etc. She said that they would not still be on the air for their 5th season if they were continually sticking people with houses they can't afford.

This was the gist, and it was interesting, if very confusing!!! There is a law that states that you can RENT your property to someone for 10 days, and any improvements made in those 10 days are considered "leasee improvements" and are not taxable. So the show actually RENTS the house from the family for 10 days. THAT's why they're always so hard-pressed to finish these houses in a week!!!

She went on to say that if a family ever has difficulties with the mortgage or the taxes, that they have been very successful at creatively finding ways to help them. Often, they do fundraisers in the town, or seek out businesses to help the family out.

My feeling on this family mentioned in the OP is that this father wants the $$ to send his boys to college.

Often, they do fundraisers in the town, or seek out businesses to help the family out.

They do fundraisers for people to continue to live in an overly extravagant house?!? :sad2:

You've got to be kidding me. Sorry, but I wouldn't give money to a family for that.

I always wondered how ABC dealed with the tax issue, I'd like to assume they pay for them but I doubt it.

I think if they really wanted to change these people's lives, the should also completely move them (to a new lot). Besides the fact that the houses do not at all fit in with the neighborhood half of the time, I'm sure these people would rather move to a nice lot (if they're in a crappy one) and would take a slightly smaller house in exchange (though in all actuality they could typically build a bigger house in a better neighborhood ;) ). :confused3

I remember watching an episode a few years ago where they went to Watts. They told this whole story about it being so dangerous to live there and that their mission was to build them a safe place to live. Hello? If you want them to be safe I wouldn't build them a massive house, I'd get them out out of there, I'm sure they wouldn't mind! :rolleyes:

This is just me, but I think they need to make a decision with the homeowners. They need to ask them, "Do you want to want to move completely, or do you want to stay here?"

I started watching Sunday nights episode of the family in RI with foster kids with a house & yard that had lead paint. They had received a letter telling them that the kids had tested high for lead.

I had the most difficult time understanding why they were on the show compared to past families. First, lead paint on older homes is COMMON in New England. Parents had no financial problems made known. No health problems made known. Had work and income. House was not condemned.

:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 Do what everyone else in New England has to do. Either sell the house to someone with older or no children and move to a newer home OR remove the lead paint.

I ended up turning off the TV because I just couldn't see why they qualified over past families. I assumed the ripped down the house because that's what that show does. I didn't see the need to do that and build a new one. They STILL needed to deal with the lead in the yard / dirt....and the yard of every neighboring house on that street built at the same time. :confused3 :confused3
I have that episode TIVO'd, along with the special preceeding it, and maybe the news report afterwards (do ALL states do this when there's an Extreme Makeover, or is it because nothing exciting ever happens in RI??) because DS's teammate's father worked on the house, and DS wanted to see if he was on. But, he seems to have forgotten about it. Maybe I'll watch. I'm curious to see it after what you posted.

My understanding, from the local news reports, is that they can't afford utilities and living expenses. One quote said that they closed off sections of the house because heating the whole house cost too much.

I have that episode TIVO'd, along with the special preceeding it, and maybe the news report afterwards (do ALL states do this when there's an Extreme Makeover, or is it because nothing exciting ever happens in RI??) because DS's teammate's father worked on the house, and DS wanted to see if he was on. But, he seems to have forgotten about it. Maybe I'll watch. I'm curious to see it after what you posted.

I was actually very surprised they were allowed to tear down the house with lead paint. I really thought they you had to totaly enclose the house to remove the lead. in any event, the Silva's two bio children are on the austim spectrum. I heard that since the house was completed they have taken in 2 additional kids.

AND, who said nothing happens in RI?? We're in NE, we are constantly watching the weather!

I personally would love to have Ty and his friends make over, or even destroy and rebuild my house.
I have been living in this house for 28 years and even though I try I can't remodel it.
I am now considered totally disabled If you saw me you would never consider me disabled. I have numbness in my fingers and toes so I can't do my previous nursing job. I can't open a bandaid without help. But I look normal. I also have lymphedema from losing 19 lymph glands during my breast cancer surgery so I can't do CPR or lift anything over 10 lbs with my right arm.
I have my 31 year old son with my 2 year old grandson living with me, along with my 28 year old and 25 year old sons. None of my boys went to college even though they were smart enough, but my ex husband earned a high salary and because of that we were not eligible for student loans. they told us that he could afford to pay their tuition and wouldn't listne to the fact that he didn't even pay child support. The rules have changed since back then but not soon enough for my boys. they all work at Trader Joes, and make an ok salary but not enough to live on their own.
I also have a friend living in my basement who is disabled and not getting any disability because he owned his own business before his disability. He didn't think he would have a heart attack and severe lyme disease with neurological problems at 48 years old.
But I watch that show and see the problems that other people have and feel embarrassed that I would even think I deserve the kind of help those people do. Some of the families really deserve the help they get, they have problems that are unbelieveable.

I personally would love to have Ty and his friends make over, or even destroy and rebuild my house.
I have been living in this house for 28 years and even though I try I can't remodel it.
I am now considered totally disabled If you saw me you would never consider me disabled. I have numbness in my fingers and toes so I can't do my previous nursing job. I can't open a bandaid without help. But I look normal. I also have lymphedema from losing 19 lymph glands during my breast cancer surgery so I can't do CPR or lift anything over 10 lbs with my right arm.
I have my 31 year old son with my 2 year old grandson living with me, along with my 28 year old and 25 year old sons. None of my boys went to college even though they were smart enough, but my ex husband earned a high salary and because of that we were not eligible for student loans. they told us that he could afford to pay their tuition and wouldn't listne to the fact that he didn't even pay child support. The rules have changed since back then but not soon enough for my boys. they all work at Trader Joes, and make an ok salary but not enough to live on their own.
I also have a friend living in my basement who is disabled and not getting any disability because he owned his own business before his disability. He didn't think he would have a heart attack and severe lyme disease with neurological problems at 48 years old.
But I watch that show and see the problems that other people have and feel embarrassed that I would even think I deserve the kind of help those people do. Some of the families really deserve the help they get, they have problems that are unbelieveable.

:hug:
It's families like yours i want to see on there. A few i've seen recently were a bit 'and why for them and not others???' for me.
I work with loads of disabled kids whos houses don't work for them, if they did it in the UK then i would be backing up a vote for them!

There are many things that bother me about the show. While I understand the plight of the homeowners it is hard to sort of feel guilty about thier problems.. didn't they know what they would get themselves into? It seems a bit shortsighted actually.

The new houses are not grounded in "reality". Sure this house in Pennsauken is beautiful, but it really isn't necessary to be that huge. A simple 3/3, 0r 4/3 would have been fine. I know the huge houses get ratings but a dose of reality would be nice.

I also read somewhere that poverty isn't necessarily a requirement; one couple in Hawaii made around $225,000/year.

I think a good sob story is the only real requirement. I don't watch this show at all. I seriously dislike it.

I was actually very surprised they were allowed to tear down the house with lead paint. I really thought they you had to totaly enclose the house to remove the lead. in any event, the Silva's two bio children are on the austim spectrum. I heard that since the house was completed they have taken in 2 additional kids.

AND, who said nothing happens in RI?? We're in NE, we are constantly watching the weather!

my dad used to work at a company that at one time created and tested paints that contained lead (back in the 50's). when they removed the old paint testing fences, they had to dig up 2-3 feet of ground under them because of the contamination. they were building adult housing over top of the old fence areas, so i would imagine that they'd have to remove a certain layer of soil underneath the house.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter