'Extras' Because it's my honeymoon??

DznyLvr2005

DIS Veteran
If I run around Disney telling everyone and their grandmother that it's my honeymoon, does anyone know if Disney gives handouts and makes the trip xtra special? I'm thinking about calling the WL and asking them for suggestions on how to suprise my soon-to-be husband with anything they can think of, maybe when we arrive at the resort or something else?? Has anyone called ahead, asked concierge for ideas, or even like I said, ran around and telling everyone it's your honeymoon?! :bride: Thanks for any ideas...

First of all- Congrats on the upcoming honeymoon.

DH and myself spent our honeymoon at Disney as well, as well as our upcoming 1st annivsersary trip. I always heard that as long as someone knows it's your honeymoon, they will do some things extra. Although, I also heard don't expect it. We didn't really go around asking for things, sometimes we were asked if it was our honeymoon though, and we got extras. Like in Epcot, while checking out at a shop I got a phone call from Mickey congratulating us. We got a free mug and free refills from one of the minature golf courses. Honestly, I got so caught up at just being in Disney World, that I completly forgot about getting the extra magic. It was already magical. I would get the Minnie and Mickey ears though, cause I heard those help. My head must have been too big for the Minnie ears, b/c they wouldn't stay on, so if you can find the ears that go on like a headband, go for those.

Hope you have a great time!

We celebrated our 1st Anniversary there and didn't really tell anyone, except whe making PS for Ohana...needed to get a table with a view of the fireworks. All of the extra's were paid for by me...flowers in the room, room decorating by Gifts of a Lifetime, Wishes cruise. With that said, on the day of our anniversary we returned to the room to find a small box of choclate with a note from the WL offering us congratulations. It definetly was a nice gesture.

Congratulations!

One thing to keep in mind is that while things MAY happen, they might not, so don't plan on it. That way you won't be upset if it doesn't. Anything that you really want, you probably want to arrange yourself and then just view anything extra as one of those "pixie dust" moments.

Have a great time!

We honeymooned, spent our 1st and soon our 2nd anniversary at WDW.
we had on our "wedding ears" and some bride/groom pins.

I think above and beyond any "extras" we were given...the fact that complete strangers would say "congratulations" to us...was really touching.

Funny...we got on the boat ride at "the land" and the girl "host" said "we'd like to invite the new couple on their honeymoon cruise - way to splurge!" heheh...and they put us up on the "big screen "at WWTBAM and insisted on us kissing before continuing with the game.

enjoy your honeymoon!

I realized that I sounded alittle desperate for free stuff in my post. I just wondered what other peoples experiences were. Thanks for the info! Believe it or not, I literally spent over $5000 on this trip (ALOT OF MOOLAH for 10 days!) so I mean, it coudn't hurt for a little something extra in my room when I got there, ya know... :) :cool1:
Now if I can only get my future husband to wear the mickey groom hat.. :rolleyes:

We honeymooned in Disney last June for 2 weeks. We stayed at GF-main building concierge, AKL concierge, and went on a 4 night Disney Cruise. We had a great trip, despite hearing about how much we were spending and what we could save by staying non-concierge from my husband in the year before the trip! Honestly, once we were there we forgot about the room costing $750/night and trying to milk every penny out of it. Did we get extras? Well, in WDW not so much, but on the cruise we got "Happy Honeymoon" and "Congrats" written in chocolate on our plates, supercute towel animals, basket of fruit and champagne, etc. It was great, but we didnt' miss not getting that in WDW (we did a week at the GF 1st, then the 4 night cruise, then 4 nights at AKL). We wore our Mickey ears most of the 1st week (it was so hot though that we gave up on it after the cruise) and the only thing that came of them was some confetti on our table at Citricos. Now, we also had our daughter with us, who was 3 months old at the time, so that may have changed things, though I'm not sure. My mom was there to babysit too while we went to dinner, but like I said, just that 1 time did we get anything.

paladin said:
Congratulations!

One thing to keep in mind is that while things MAY happen, they might not, so don't plan on it. That way you won't be upset if it doesn't. Anything that you really want, you probably want to arrange yourself and then just view anything extra as one of those "pixie dust" moments.

Have a great time!

I TOTALLY agree! After reading numerous posts regarding disappointing stays due to no "extra magic", I would strongly urge you to ask for everything "extra" you would like, and to not expect anything you don't ask for.

You may get magical surprises anyway, but they will be surprises, not something you feel you 'should" be getting. :wizard:

Have a WONDERFUL time!!

Wow... If I didn't love Disney so much I'd say "$750 a night, in 10 nights that's almost a down payment on a house!" I actually had to 'sell' an IRA I had to pay for our honeymoon. I figured it's worth it. Would I rather stay in a VALUE resort and hate it (I know I would because I know what the delux resorts are like!) or go all out probably for the last time before we have kids and absolutely love it. Plus my fiance being a NYPD officer doesn't help much either. Their new contract SUCKS! And I only work in a doctors office! And living in NYC doesn't help either! Everything is double the price!! :earseek: Wow I just totally got off subject.. LOL

We honeymooned at WL in 1997. I had noted on my reservations (through WDTC) that it was our honeymoon. We booked the Honeymoon Suite, BTW.

When we checked in, the CM immediately congratulated us. She also gave us two American Express welcome kits (this was when Disney gave extras for using AMEX) instead of one. Each kit included a fanny pack, guide book, and some coupons.

About ten minutes after we started to unpack there was knock at the door. A CM had brought us a bottle of champage, two glasses, and a small box of chocolates. There was also a hand written note of congratulations from the WL CMs. Very cool.

In general, CMs are pretty good at figuring out who is honeymooning. We didn't get any other freebies, but most places we went could tell that we just got married. We did have to dance at Hoop Dee Doo... that was fun...

DznyLvr2005 said:
Thanks for the info! Believe it or not, I literally spent over $5000 on this trip (ALOT OF MOOLAH for 10 days!) so I mean, it coudn't hurt for a little something extra in my room when I got there, ya know... :) :cool1:

We did too...trust me...we split our stay between WL concierge and AKL concierge.

word of advice?

I see you are staying in the HM room at WL...be VERY careful when showering. (It's a jacuzzi tub/shower combo) On our 2nd or 3rd day there I was taking a shower in the morning...and I'm pretty tall - and was leaning back to rinse my hair...and I had to lean back far because of the configuration of the tub/shower. I ended up pinching something in my back...and I had back spasms all day. We were walking around Unverisal Studios and I kept having spasms. Spent that afternoon/early evening in the Urgent Care center getting some good pain drugs.

I wasn't too thrilled with the WL concierge at the time...they knew it was our Honeymoon...yet never really said anything to us...even after they delivered many gifts to our room (sent by some of my friends from home.) The AKL CM's really knocked our socks off...and we have returned there 3 times because of it.

just wanted to give you that heads up.

How is the actual suite in WL. Is it that horrible having to stand up to see anything over the railings? Did you have castle side view? Curious if you could see fireworks at night from the room.

DznyLvr2005 said:
How is the actual suite in WL. Is it that horrible having to stand up to see anything over the railings? Did you have castle side view? Curious if you could see fireworks at night from the room.

we requested a castle view...but we didn't get it. so we looked out over, I believe, the villas.

it was odd...sitting on the balcony and not seeing anything...but not horrible.

the "suite" was nothing more then a bigger room (a few more sq feet). big bed, night stands, armoire, chest of drawers, table and 2 chairs, separate sink area from shower/tub and toilet area.

honestly...and not to drag you down...but I think it was overpriced for what it was. Plus - it was loud, being right off the lobby...Whispering Canyon my butt! hehehe I think I would have been just as happy with a "regular' concierge room at WL.

But that's totally JMO and you should take your OWN opinion of it.

My DW and I are staying at WL Sept 3 - 10 and celebrating our honeymoon as well. We were actually married in June in New Orleans :cloud9: and chose to make our fall vacation our Honeymoon. :lovestruc ::MinnieMo ::MickeyMo

Congrats. Fall is the best.. That's why I'm getting married in the fall.. though I will miss 2 weeks of Autumn colors in NY :( in exchange for greens and palm trees in FL. Hopefully the weather won't be too bad. I really don't care about the yellin coming out of WCC. WCC is great!

And Yes, Disney is mostly waaaayyyy overpriced.....I'm thinking back to the time I went to Europe (Paris) IN 1999 for 6 nights, everything included (plane, hotel across from the Louvre, dinners) and that cost me 1/5 of this Disney trip! hehe Gotta love it though...

First of all congrats! I recently spent my honeymoon there in April. We stayed off-property however. The first week I would mention to everyone we are on our honeymoon and I had a visor that said Bride. Couldn't wear the mouse ears and hubby flat out refused to wear anything! Like someone else said we got the etched glasses at CRT and the best seat in the house. We also got the best seat in the house at Hoop Dee Do. At WCC we got free champagne and our waiter made everyone say Congrats! to us. Other than the other cast members saying congrats here and there and many of the characters fussing about us (great pics of Tweedle Dee and Dum making a big deal of my ring and making my husband get down on his knee!) that was it. I think most of the time I wasn't thinking and there were other times we should have mentioned we were honeymooners because something magical could have happened (like the Keys to the Kingdom tour) but by the second week we started to forget mentioning it since we got so caught up in everything! Nevertheless, we had an AWESOME time!

DznyLvr2005 said:

Our room was on the bus stop side; this was before the Villas were there. It was nice to sit on the balcony. We enjoyed a great thunderstorm from there. It was way too hot when we were there, so we didn't spend much time on the balcony.

I can remember the tricky shower as well, although I had more trouble trying to avoid falling on my a** stepping on the wet marble that covers the bathroom. I'm only average height (5' 10"), so I didn't wrench anything in my back.

Ohhh all this talk... I want to leave tomorrow! I have 58 days from today until my wedding, which means 60 days until I enter 'the world'. I'm leaving the day after I get married, wakin my husband up at the crack of dawn and getting in the car and going! Yeah, you'd think we'd fly, but I'm deathly afraid of flying. Anyway...Can't see those Pedro signs from a plane now can you!
Going to DW so much.. it's so wierd. Now when I get there and enter that big sign that says "DISNEY WORLD" I feel like I just entered another dimention and all reality gets thrown out the window. Haha.. It's the best feeling!
Thanks for all the tips and advice...

Congratulations...

We did our honeymoon trip a year ago at GF in a concierge honeymoon room. And this year we are doing our anniversary trip in a GF honeymoon room again!

Like everyone else has said, don't expect anything. If you get something, that is great. Wear the hats (we will be again, and will be totally honest that it is our anniversary).

Now, in terms of extra magic, do not underestimate how wonderful it is to hear "Congratulations!" every five minutes or less. It feels so good that complete strangers are happy for you. Pass the magic and say it to other brides.

Other guests can be the best. We were invited onto the Grand One for a wishes cruise by another guest just because they saw us in the lounge in our ears. He came over and asked us if we would mind him giving us a wedding gift... I was a little apprehensive. But, we spent the rest of the week in the lounge every night catching up and chatting about our days with him and his family (older mother who was always in the lounge and siblings). It was a great thing and we still all keep in touch. That said, I don't think that this is a "normal thing".

There were little things that CMs did too that were very nice! We recieved some magical moments certificates, a free "anything" from a ice cream vendor in Epcot, and other little things.

Here is my suggestion:
Make your own magic. This year, I have a ton of things planned for my DH. PM me for specifics or for ideas, but DH reads my posts... (hi honey) If you can do it, splure on a nice dinner or two. We are again doing an expensive trip, so another $300 to do V&A with wine pairings isn't much (especialy with free dining saving some money). There are so many things that you can do.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter